Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Spider  (Read 5443 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Hop Spider
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
Has anyone made and used the hop spider yet? Seems like an awesome way to control hops in the boil and after. I'm gonna make one tomorrow for my brew next weekend.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop Spider
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »
I was on the verge of making one.  I even bought the parts.  But then I started thinking about how I'd get my immersion chiller in the kettle with the spider full of boiling hot, wet hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:14:48 pm »
I was on the verge of making one.  I even bought the parts.  But then I started thinking about how I'd get my immersion chiller in the kettle with the spider full of boiling hot, wet hops.
Ive never done it but couldnt you just put your chiller in at the beginning of the boil and then put the spider bag down inside of the chiller coil and let it ride for the whole boil?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »
Seems like that would work.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »
full of boiling hot, wet hops.
Thanks for the proper usage Denny :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17:34 am »
If you don't make it super-long, it would seem simple enough to raise it up and slip the IC in then drop it back in.

I don't think I want to boil the whole time with a chiller in place.  I guess I can't give a logical reason why though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
If you don't make it super-long, it would seem simple enough to raise it up and slip the IC in then drop it back in.

I don't think I want to boil the whole time with a chiller in place.  I guess I can't give a logical reason why though.
I was thinking the same thing. I've never left the chiller in, but cant think of a reason why it would be bad. Lifting the bag out to slip the chiller in seems easy enough.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

I use bags for whole hops.  I suspend them in the kettle by laying a long spoon across the top of the kettle.  It's a total PITA to lift them out when I need to put my chiller in, but since I use a bag for each addition the weight and mess is distributed.  I just don't think I'd want to lift a large bag with all my hops in it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
I used to do the same thing Denny, but the true PITA is when you have more hoppings than bags and have to lift a bag out, open it up, and add your hops.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
I wouldn't have a concern with leaving the immersion chiller in place for the full boil.... as long as the hoses were not connected. wouldn't want to expose them to the heat/steam for that period of time. just be very careful when attaching the hoses after the boil.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:44 am »
I used to do the same thing Denny, but the true PITA is when you have more hoppings than bags and have to lift a bag out, open it up, and add your hops.

Which is why I have about a dozen bags!  I'd hate to have to open one up to add more hops.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 10:42:32 am »

Which is why I have about a dozen bags!  I'd hate to have to open one up to add more hops.
I have 4 and I've had to untie a hot knot several times during a boil and it sucks. Looking for a better option and the hop spider seems to fit the bill. I'll post some feedback after its in use!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:59 pm »
I used the hop spider the last batch I did. I really liked it and it really was not that big of a pain to lift it and put the chiller in and set it back in. It does make it pretty much impossible to put the lid on if that is something you want to do.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:27:34 am »
Wouldn't it be easier to just line the fermentor with a large sanitized paint strainer bag and remove it after you transfer from the boil kettle?

It seems like that would catch any hop material you aren't able to leave behind via whirlpooling. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 09:10:37 am »
Wouldn't it be easier to just line the fermentor with a large sanitized paint strainer bag and remove it after you transfer from the boil kettle?

It seems like that would catch any hop material you aren't able to leave behind via whirlpooling. 

This would work except I wouldn't want to take a chance on my pickup tube clogging with all the whole hops.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan