Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I brew  (Read 10091 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Why I brew
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »
Went to a friends house over the weekend. He is a great guy, always telling me how good my beer is, even that it's better than what we can get at the local micro-brewery (ok I don't think it THAT good, they make some really nice stuff).

I brought some of my own and he had a selection of Sam Adams brews. We both had two glasses of my stout, and then had a glass of the Sam Adams stout.

As I was drinking it, I thought to myself "This is good, but mine is better."

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Why I brew
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »
Went to a friends house over the weekend. He is a great guy, always telling me how good my beer is, even that it's better than what we can get at the local micro-brewery (ok I don't think it THAT good, they make some really nice stuff).

I brought some of my own and he had a selection of Sam Adams brews. We both had two glasses of my stout, and then had a glass of the Sam Adams stout.

As I was drinking it, I thought to myself "This is good, but mine is better."

THAT is why I brew...one of the best feeling of satisfaction Ive had
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
I have to admit that I don't often think my beer is better than some of the best commercial beers out there.  But I usually like it better, and I think that's due to the fact that I brew it for my tastes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »
I have to admit that I don't often think my beer is better than some of the best commercial beers out there.  But I usually like it better, and I think that's due to the fact that I brew it for my tastes.

Exactly, but sure is nice when others agree!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »
Because I critique the hell out of my beer and want to dump it all before it is time to drink it yet my friends and some other people ask for seconds.

That's why I brew.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »
Because I critique the hell out of my beer and want to dump it all before it is time to drink it yet my friends and some other people ask for seconds.

That's why I brew.
+1
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »

That's why I brew.

This.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »
I have to admit that I brew for me.  It's a creative outlet and I like my beer better than most commercial beers I have had.  If my friends and family appreciate it great, if they don't then I really don't care.

That may sound selfish and it probably is but I'd still be brewing even if no one ever complemented my work.

Woodworking and cooking I do for others.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 02:47:56 pm »
I like to drink beer. Making it myself sets me apart from those that do not. When drinking beer that I made it can be said that no one else is drinking a beer exactly like this. Anywhere.

And I go through it pretty quick with my unquenched thirst. Have to brew or I will run out. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:07 pm »
Agree with all of the above.  I also really enjoy learning about the variety in taste and style preferences of my friends and family. They're all over the place; girlfriend loves the pils, old roomate digs the Schwarz, guys at work want the oatmeal stout and IPA. I love 'em all. Even if I don't really dig a beer, it's helps me understand something I've done wrong or things I don't appreciate about ingredients.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
My wife won't let me buy beer so I sneak out in the garage and make my own. She'll never figure it out. :D

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:54 pm »

That's why I brew.

Yup.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »
I agree that there are tons of commercial brews that are better than mine but generally I only buy new stuff for inspirational purposes these days.  I began brewing in my late teens because I thought I'd save money? Of course we know that's impossible. In my twenties, I brewed just to brew.  I thought quantity was cooler than quality. Now that I'm in my late thirties, married with 2 kids, I'm lucky to brew when I can. When I do I want to brew the best beer I can. I've become very meticulous in my process an thanks to forums like this my beers are a million times better than when I started this obsession.  I suppose "I brew" because it's one of the best feelings to handcraft a recipe and hit all your numbers.  2nd to that is walking out of the beer store empty handed because you can't find anything better than what you have at the house.
-JKL

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
I started brewing because I love beer. Understanding he process and ingredients just gives me a better appreciation for the beer I drink.

Also, I have a big creative drive, especially in the kitchen. Whenever I try a new recipe I almost always tweak it right from the first try to make it better suit my tastes or give it a new twist that interests me. That's a big reason why I got into brewing. I don't think I'll ever set out to brew a "better" version of a beer I love, but I will definitely take them as inspiration to build beers that interest me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »
I brew now to make the beers we want to drink.  Lagers have become more and more of the yearly list.

We have lagers that are fresh and do not have the staled taste we get in imported German lagers.  Those are great drinkers in the summer. We will get our tastes recalibrated on an trip to Germany in the coming months.

Another reason to brew is to make some beers that are not available.  A CAP?  How about a Graetzer? Those have turned out "yummy".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!