Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Columbus and ???  (Read 5052 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Columbus and ???
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:21 am »
I am looking for something that plays well with Columbus in a pale ale.  Thinking Citra, Amarillo maybe? 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Columbus and ???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:26:57 am »
Yeah, those are fine, but think outside the box, too.  My rye IPA recipe uses Columbus and Mt. Hood.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:40 am »
All Columbus is good too.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:18 am »

Yes, it is, but the question was what goes with Columbus.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:23 am »

Yes, it is, but the question was what goes with Columbus.

Let me rephrase it. Columbus goes well with Columbus. Is that better?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:28 am »
I like to use Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo for my House IPA recipe. For the dryhop I use equal proportions of Simcoe and Amarillo. I use the Columbus at 60 and 30min additions.
Ron Price

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:22:15 am »
chinook, amarillo, simcoe, cascade, centennial, citra, apollo, zythos, falconers flight all should work well.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:44 am »
I like to use Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo for my House IPA recipe. For the dryhop I use equal proportions of Simcoe and Amarillo. I use the Columbus at 60 and 30min additions.

listen to the bluesman.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
This gives me a good starting point I think.  Much appreciated!  I have had a few beers with Columbus in them and I really like it, I just never tried it myself. 

I like Bluesman's idea too.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:59 pm »
My house IPA uses Columbus all the way from first wort to 30 Minute boil. This mellows the dankness which then plays nicely with some or all of the following: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and lastly dry hopped with Amarillo.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »

I use all of that as well, and columbus at 20 and 10 and 0 minutes and dry hop. I love columbus. Intersting denny says columbus and mt. hood. I like columbus and french strisselspalt and/or crystal as well.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:02 pm »

I use all of that as well, and columbus at 20 and 10 and 0 minutes and dry hop. I love columbus. Intersting denny says columbus and mt. hood. I like columbus and french strisselspalt and/or crystal as well.

+1 I really like Columbus with Crystal. Actually, I could combine those two hops with prett much anything and would probably make a good AIPA.
Kyle M.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »

If Simcoe and Amarillo were more available and affordable they too would also be used in my house IPA's.  I currently use Chinook in conjunction with Columbus for my house IPA's; the mark-up on Simcoe and Armarillo is ridiculous. Wish I could sneak on those hop farms for a rhizome.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:07 pm »

If Simcoe and Amarillo were more available and affordable they too would also be used in my house IPA's.  I currently use Chinook in conjunction with Columbus for my house IPA's; the mark-up on Simcoe and Armarillo is ridiculous. Wish I could sneak on those hop farms for a rhizome.

I got a pound of each as soon as Freshops announced the 2011 crop last year. It doesn't last long in my house. I'll be out before the start of summer.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 07:06:04 pm »

I'd like to try it with Mt hood someday. Maybe we should ask Denny to bring a sample to Seattle.  8)
Ron Price