Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bagels  (Read 18443 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: Bagels
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:43 am »
I would be very, very, very careful about putting drain cleaner (even if it says it's 100% lye) in anything touching food.

Lye is the ultimate multitasker... Drain cleaner, soap, bagels, bodies, whatever you need.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:09 am »
You just need to make sure it's pure sodium hydroxide. It can burn you, so be careful. Here's where you can get some lye used for soap making.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-25/2-lbs-Technical-Grade/Detail

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
I guess I need to update this. That company no longer sells the "technical grade" lye, but they do sell food grade. Here's a link to that. It's not too bad, but as always shipping hits you pretty hard.

[size=78%]http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-3/4-lbs-Food-Grade/Detail[/size]

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:28 am »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »
I would be very, very, very careful about putting NEVER PUT drain cleaner (even if it says it's 100% lye) in anything touching food.

Unless it is food grade drain cleaner.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:49 pm »
I've always wanted to try using lye with my pretzels but I don't have any and I'm not sure I want 2lbs minus .5 to 1 oz. sitting around.  My wife will put up with a lot hobbies from me but I don't think homemade soap is one of them and 2lbs of lye makes a lot of pretzels.

One question I have is, how do you dispose of it when you're finished?  Do you have to neutralize it somehow?  Does your local municipality appreciate caustics in the sanitary sewer system?  I've only ever used it to "remove" rats from under the corn crib as a kid (Dad thought cans of cyanide seemed too dangerous  ??? ).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
If it (lye) is used as drain cleaner in higher concentrations then a little lye-water ought to be relatively benign, though hopefully the roaches will suffer...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:01 pm »
If it (lye) is used as drain cleaner in higher concentrations then a little lye-water ought to be relatively benign, though hopefully the roaches will suffer...

For bagels, it's only about a teaspoon per quart. Pretzels require a higher concentration.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 12:31:47 pm »
OK, those that have made them- do you let the poached dough cool before the oven?

I wasn't sure since the dough was in the water in two batches so 4 bagels weren't steaming and I let the other four cool for a minute or so. Didn't seem to notice much of a difference.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
It's been a while but as soon as I filled a pan, into the oven they went. I would say that the last one dried about a minute.  You do want to shake off as much water as possible so it doesn't pool in the pan.

Actually the steam should help the crust a little.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 12:43:35 pm »
I would be very, very, very careful about putting drain cleaner (even if it says it's 100% lye) in anything touching food.

Too late (by years)!  Am I going to die?

Ace Hardware
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »
Too late (by years)!  Am I going to die?

Ace Hardware

Why yes, you are....but we all are!  No one here gets out alive....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »
Try buying lye these days. I ended up using baking soda.

I saw a tip in Cooks Illustrated a few months back to bake the baking soda to convert it from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate which is a stronger base.  Not as strong as lye but a good substitute according to the article.  Haven't tried it yet myself.

Interesting: Can you provide some specifics as to time, temp and quantity in the water.

I'll have to dig back through the issues to find it.  But here's an article that describes the process as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/dining/15curious.html
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »

Copied, pasted and saved.

Thanks, Tygo.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:36 am »
Timely post.  I have to work on my homemade bagels since I just moved away from the only store that sells bagels that were close enough to be called real bagels.