Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bagels  (Read 18442 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Bagels
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:00:30 pm »
I've found myself eating a lot of bagels. The dense but soft store-bought kind. :-\

Wanted to do a NY-style bagel. I got a crispy chewy exterior and a light interior. Pretty damn good. Instead of malt syrup I used Dark Candi syrup in the mix. None for the boiling water. And I did a 24 hour ferment.

The schmeeer: ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Bagels
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:32:15 pm »
At one time, I took requests and someone asked for pumpernickel.  Until I made those pumpernickel bagels, I never knew the recipe included potatoes.
Joe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:42 pm »
Did you put lye in the boil?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
Those bagels look good. I've made them a couple of times. Kind of a PITA, but well worth it in the end.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »
They look great euge.  What's the bread texture like?  I like a toasted everything bagel with Lox and cream cheese...mmm  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
Did you put lye in the boil?

Isn't that pretzels?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »
They look great euge.  What's the bread texture like?  I like a toasted everything bagel with Lox and cream cheese...mmm  :)
Those bagels look good. I've made them a couple of times. Kind of a PITA, but well worth it in the end.

Well worth the effort! I'm going to have to work out a weekly schedule for these things... Too bad I don't have any smoked salmon around. The crumb is light, bubbly and cohesive. Nothing crumbly about these bagels. The exterior is shiny, crisp and chewy. Made them with about 90% bread flour 10% AP. Next time all AP to see how that turns out.

Nice to have the KA to do the kneading.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »
It's pretty common to boil bagels in lye water.  When I've made them before I've boiled them in water that's had potatoes boiled in it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:15 pm »
Try buying lye these days. I ended up using baking soda.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »

I saw a tip in Cooks Illustrated a few months back to bake the baking soda to convert it from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate which is a stronger base.  Not as strong as lye but a good substitute according to the article.  Haven't tried it yet myself.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:56:42 pm »

I saw a tip in Cooks Illustrated a few months back to bake the baking soda to convert it from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate which is a stronger base.  Not as strong as lye but a good substitute according to the article.  Haven't tried it yet myself.

Interesting: Can you provide some specifics as to time, temp and quantity in the water.

I once thought about trying to make my own lye with my stove ashes. I talked myself out of that adventure.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »

That Chris Kimball! He's so clever...

What does the alkaline solution do that a sugar solution won't? I used softened water to poach my bagels.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 02:16:58 am »
I know you have lye on hand euge.  A little dab'l do ya.  NY - Joisey style bagel-making.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:34:25 am »

That Chris Kimball! He's so clever...

What does the alkaline solution do that a sugar solution won't? I used softened water to poach my bagels.

The lye hydrolizes the proteins in the flour and allows the outside to brown well.

I read that it can be found at Lowes under the name Crystal Drain Opener, but I need to check that out to be sure. This is info from The Fresh Loaf, an extremely good website for baking. When I looked several years ago for a drain opener that contained lye, I came up with nothing at several different supermarkets.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 06:58:05 am »
I would be very, very, very careful about putting drain cleaner (even if it says it's 100% lye) in anything touching food.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!