Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hyperactive starter (?) cracked my plastic carboy  (Read 4587 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
hyperactive starter (?) cracked my plastic carboy
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:01 pm »
I brewed 5.5G of a big 1.098 oatmeal stout Friday morning with a 1L 1.038 starter using two tubes of WLP007 per Mr. Malty.  After about 18 hrs of pitching I had a nice 1" layer of krausen.  Fast forward to this morning and the rubber stopper and blow-off tube I had going to a 1G milk jug of star-san were on the floor, and krausen was everywhere.  No big deal, I've had krausen explosions before and it still hadn't fallen so I'm not too worried about oxidation, but... the neck of the carboy cracked on the inside! 

The yeast are going so crazy that the beer inside the carboy looks like it's on a stir-plate.  I pitched a bit on the cool side for this yeast @ 68, so that shouldn't be the issue.  I've never seen anything like this.  I think I really like it, but I'd love some feedback.  I've never recycled yeast before either, but I think after this batch.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:26:27 pm by BP79 »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: hyperactive starter (?) cracked my plastic carboy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »
First off, pitching at 68 is good. However, what is your temp control set up? if none this was likely cooking at around 75.

Second, do I understand correctly that you had a stopper in the gallon jug that the blow off tube was leading to? or am I misunderstanding? If so then you created a sealed pressure environment and cracked the carboy that way. Still kind of impressive that those rubber stoppers can hold more pressure than a quarter inch of glass. If I am misunderstanding then I would guess the tube got clogged somewhere along the line and that cause the pressure build up which blew the hose out when it blew the stopper out of the carboy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:45 am »
I always use a swamp cooler (my wife keeps our place similar to a nursing home) and rotate 1L frozen water bottles every 12hrs for the first few days, then every 24hrs after that. But yes, the temps inside probably hit 75, I'll never know for sure though given the gear I have. 

I just wrapped foil around the tube that goes into the jug, I didn't have a second rubber stopper there, so all pressure should have been relieved via bubbles... which I timed to still be about 91 beats per minute last night after reattaching everything.  Going forward I may just move my kid's baby monitor to the closet to get the real answer as to how fast things took off and, like you said, to see what/where things got jammed up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:00 am »
Yeah, in that case I would guess that gunk got up in the tube opening in the carboy and pressure built up there. I know when I get a clogged airlock in a bucket I can see the lid start to dome and when I pull the stopper it goes POP!! you can get an amazing amount of pressure build up using krausen as a sealing agent.

Hmmm, you know your a homebrewer if...

you use krausen to caulk your sinks?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:58 am »
Did you take any pics?
Scott B

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:58 am »
Nope, only b/c after my first krausen explosion, people here reassured me that all was not lost. 

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
I love the smell of krausen in the morning!

;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:54:43 am »
me too!
interesting thing uh??
Al Equihua

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:49 am »

;D

Why is it that beer smells so good, but the stuff that makes beer smells like barf?  :-\
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewallday

• 1st Kit
    • Session Beer Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
you should mention this to the better bottle people.  I've never heard of this happening before

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:31 am »
I never thought of that.  I know my LHBS in northern Jersey will look at me like I have two heads.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

"Smells like.........victory"
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:21 am »

"Smells like.........victory"

;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »
So after 9 days in the primary and no activity for a few days now, I transferred to the secondary.  I measured 1.055 down from 1.098.  Does that seem a bit high given the explosion and potential lost yeast?  I don't plan on bottling for another 4 weeks, so hopefully it'll drop enough where no funky flavors decide to show up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
So after 9 days in the primary and no activity for a few days now, I transferred to the secondary.  I measured 1.055 down from 1.098.  Does that seem a bit high given the explosion and potential lost yeast?  I don't plan on bottling for another 4 weeks, so hopefully it'll drop enough where no funky flavors decide to show up.

I think you should pitch more yeast. I would not have transfered it yet. You still have yeast in the beer but alot of them got left behind in the primary. The ones that are still in the beer are going to get really stressed out trying to finish up those 55 points. Just one opinion.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce