Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running - What have I gotten myself into?  (Read 24436 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Running - What have I gotten myself into?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:51:35 am »
I often do and say really stupid things when I've been drinking.  Well, actually both when sober and drinking but the frequency and severity increase exponentially when I'm drinking.

A couple weeks ago friends were over and they talked my drunken alter-ego into running a 5K race this summer.  Now, if my avatar picture doesn't tell the tale, I'm on the shy side of 300 lbs and running is not really my favourite thing to do.  Sitting, I'm good with sitting and laying down is awesome but not running.

So, I started the "Couch to 5K" training program www.c25k.com and I'm on week 3.  I'm sure some of you love to run (I hate you) but are there any couch potatoes out there that have taken this up and succeeded?  Any advice?

Please let me know who would like my brewing equipment left to them in my will.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Running - What have I gotten myself into?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:08 am »
I would walk it...especially since you haven't trained for it.  Just my 2 cents worth.  :)

Good luck with the training.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:58:47 am »
^^^+1

Graham, didn't you have some trouble with your back a few weeks ago? running is maybe the worst thing I can do to my back. Don't know about yours though. Now yoga, that involves a good amount of sitting and even laying down! that sounds like the kind of exercise that you could get behind!  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:05 am »
I'd find a bar at the end of the race and wave at the winners.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:03:54 am »
Well, good on ya for stepping up to a healthy challenge. But as Ron hinted you need to train and you should really start slooooooow. If cardiovascular activity has been light for you for some time, you'll put your frame and your heart at risk if you go after it too hard, too fast.  The second thing I would offer is that YOU have to really want to do it. For whatever reason that motivates you, if being competitive with your buds is enough that's great. If you half-ass it though, don't expect great let alone enjoyable results.  Good luck, you can do it!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:34 am »
There's a pretty good artical in Men's Health this month on beginning running. I used to run 30 miles a week, now I do hiking and trail running 3 - 5 days a week. Running and standing on concrete floor all day long didn't agree with each other, least not with my feet.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:29 pm »
gmac go for it. 1 buy running shoes from a running store that will watch how your feet land. They told me to use a different shoe and knees and feet felt better after first run. 2 Find a person to run,walk and train with if you can. 3 And this is the biggest dosent matter if your first or last everyone cheers for you. I was close to last and yes I did walk some of the race. But you feel great when you cross the finish line. You can do the race in September or October when its cooler and will give you more time.  Good luck . Vin S
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:49 pm »
Running is bad for your knees and joints.  I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it.  But start very slow and work your way up. 
Jesse

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »
I used to be in your same shoes did not ever run.  I was not as big as you were though, but have seen people your size get in to it lose a lot of weight and now enjoy it very much.  When I started I would just go out and walk and run as much as I could 3 to 4 days a week and just tried to build up.  I have never looked at the couch to 5K but have had a few friends that don't run that did it and were successful. If you need a good book to get you motivated read "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. I read that book when I was just doing 5-6 miles a week running then singed up for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon(26.2 miles) 2009 and since then I run 800-1100 miles a year. 

Biggest advice I can give you is like someone else said get the right shoes, and listen to your body don't push too hard or you end up injured and back where you started.  Also find someone to train with, it helps you get up and get out. 

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and I will do my best to answer it. 

AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »
Running is bad for your knees and joints.   

I disagree.  Running with poor form is bad for your knees and joints. Humans are made to run. Unfortunately, most of us have devolved away from our intrinsic physical capability.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »
Running is bad for your knees and joints.  I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it.  But start very slow and work your way up.

That's bull sh!t BTW. Running improperly is bad for your joints and feet, but running properly over long term actually reduces pain from arthritis and strengthens the bones to prolong activity into your elder years. i used to run 6 miles a day for 3 years and never had a permanent injury from it. I only gave it up when I started my own business because I couldn't hand;e standing all day and putting miles on my feet on concrete.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:08 pm »

I have an orthopedic surgeon that will agree with you 100%. He told me the same thing. He recommends walking briskly over running.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:29 pm »

I have an orthopedic surgeon that will agree with you 100%. He told me the same thing. He recommends walking briskly over running.

All the research that is out now suggests that running improperly certainly is bad for you. But running properly actually extends the life of your knees and joints. You orthopedic surgeon probably has seen many cases of bad joints and knees from running over the years - but I betcha he doesn't really know a things about actually running.

You also might want to send him this link to a simple google search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=running+bad+for+your+joints&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:26:08 pm »
While I will not comment on your sanity in a public forum, as the father of a triathlete and a 10K runner (two sons) I will say, from experience, that your shoes are of #1 importance.  At your weight, your shoes will not last more than two months (the soles may, but the foundation will break down causing your gait to suffer).  Go to a shoe store that caters to elite runners, listen to them carefully, get good shoes (not the best right now, remember they are only going to last for a couple of months) and return to the store after a month with the shoes.  They should be able to read the faults in your gait from the soles and wear pattern, and then recommend a pair that suits your running style.

I am a cyclist!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »
Well, there are numerous former marathon runners that developed knees problems and joint problems, I'm sure they had real poor running "form".  But go right ahead and run, run like the wind.  I think walking briskly will have many more health benefits in the long run (no pun intended) than running will. 

Dak, I am also a cyclist.  I ride everyday to work as I do not own a car (by choice).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:29:03 pm by beersk »
Jesse