Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single-Malt beers  (Read 10372 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Single-Malt beers
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:25 am »
Hi folks, I remember hearing some folks talk about single malt beers. 

Are they worth doing?  I'm think 25 lbs of Maris for a 10 gallon batch. 

Or is it just goofy?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Single-Malt beers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:02 am »
Definitely not goofy. IMO there is no better way to get a true sense of the flavor profile of a malt than doing a single malt beer. My Bohemian Pils is 100% Weyermann Floor Malted BoPils malt and its great!

Youll also frequently hear SMaSH mentioned. Single malt and single hop. These can be very fun to do to get a great feel for a certain hop and malt. Im actually planning an all Maris Otter/Simcoe hop SMaSH.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:06 am »
SMaSH beers are great. Go ahead and try it.

Offline irishplague

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:00 am »
 If you look up Randy Mosher's Dragon's Blood October beer recipe you'll find that it is comprised of 15.5 lbs of Maris Otter and 7 oz. Kent Goldings for a 5 gal batch. I haven't made this one yet but, it's in my schedule, It's a Mosher recipe so it can't be bad.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:41:47 am »
I'd say maybe they're worth it.  They're definitely a great way to learn ingredient flavors.  Sometimes they make a good beer, sometimes they come off as boring and one dimensional to me.  You just need to give it a try and see for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:09 am »
I think it depends upon what you are looking for as a final result.  I agree that it can come off one-dimensional, unless you are brewing a BoPils with the appropriate malt like Jason which is also in line with the style guidelines. 

Experimentation is part of why we do this hobby, no?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »
I'm with Denny, I generally don't love SMaSH beers.  I like the idea of SM or SH separately, but if you want to explore hop flavors you don't need to go with a single malt, just go with a basic pale ale recipe that you like.  Same with malt, if you want to get a sense for it go with a basic recipe that is lightly hopped to let the malt shine through.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:24 pm »
I like my SMaSH barley wine! munich and fuggles. Course the hops are only at the begining of a 2 hour boil so I'm not sure it really matters what kind it is.

I am semi-planning a SWaSH beer with half a sack of wheat malt and ??? hops (havn't decided yet, maybe saaz?)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I've got 30 gallons of various things fermenting right now for NHC, so it'll be a couple weeks until there's room in my freezer/fermenting chamber.  But, I think I'll try a Maris Otter Single malt, with Comet bittering, and Cascade aroma.  If your coming to NHC, you may be able to tell me how bad it is....   LOL

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:12 pm »
I like my SMaSH barley wine! munich and fuggles. Course the hops are only at the begining of a 2 hour boil so I'm not sure it really matters what kind it is.

I am semi-planning a SWaSH beer with half a sack of wheat malt and ??? hops (havn't decided yet, maybe saaz?)

Tettnang!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »
I kind of think these are silly, but for a different reason than a lot of others.

To me, a single malt beer is a regular thing.  My Pils is 100% Pilsner Malt, my British Summer Ale is 100% Maris Otter, and I make a Dunkel that is 100% Weyermann Dark Munich.

They are all delicious, interesting beers, not novelties.

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:28:27 pm »
Im actually planning an all Maris Otter/Simcoe hop SMaSH.

I have a lot of Simcoe I need to use up, thanks for the idea.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 03:16:25 pm »
Im actually planning an all Maris Otter/Simcoe hop SMaSH.

Do it!  I made one last year and it turned out great.  5 oz of Simcoe,  1 oz. at 60, 45 10, 0, and dry hop.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »
I kind of think these are silly, but for a different reason than a lot of others.

To me, a single malt beer is a regular thing.  My Pils is 100% Pilsner Malt, my British Summer Ale is 100% Maris Otter, and I make a Dunkel that is 100% Weyermann Dark Munich.

They are all delicious, interesting beers, not novelties.

I agree. I make "single-malt" beers all the time - Kolsch, Pilsner, Saison. I mean wasn't this the way beer was made before specialty malts anyways? (of course most of the malt was probably burned and brown ;))

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »
IMO, Single Malt beers are where "fancy" malts like Maris Otter really shine. Since it usually costs me ~$35 for a sack of Great Western 2-row or Northwest Pale Ale malt and $80+ for a sack of anything from Europe, I rarely use the fancy stuff. But when I do, I keep it simple - single malt (or nearly single-malt, I sometimes do a 90-96% MO and 4-10% British Crystal 65L Bitter or ESB). I have never understood people using MO or other like hops for big hoppy beers, but to each his own.