Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it CDA or BIPA?  (Read 13334 times)

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Re: Is it CDA or BIPA?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 08:41:46 am »
I used to think they should be called India Dark Ale or IDA because they are a dark IPA... But since they really have no real relation to India, I like the name American Dark Ale. That to me is the best description.
Mark

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
Beer styles are often named after regions, but may have more prominence elsewhere (e.g., Irish Red Ale and West Coast Red Ales [albiet, often more hoppy]), so I don't really have any issue with CDA [as long as credit for style origination is given to Walter and Noonan and/or the Canadians).
I'm not a fan of naming beer after ingredients, i.e., Watery American Lager (WAL), Malty American Lager (MAL), Hoppy Aroma Ale (HAA), Yeasty Belgian Ale.   That's just goofy.

Overall, I agree with Gary G's statements with one exception:

The ABA acronym is already taken (American Brown Ale), so I'm against American Black Ale.
However, I'd be fine with American Dark Ale (ADA)--my personal preference--as it satisfies all parties involved in the regional debate and gives more latitude to beer color (i.e., as long as it is not "pale").

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:58 am »
American Dark Ale; I do like that.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:51 am »
I don't care what you call it, I still won't drink it!   ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 11:05:23 am »
I just had a really nice one last night from Alaskan Brewing, "Black IPA" on the label. 
Just the right amount of roast for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

Really?  Is it the combination of roast and hops you don't like?  I don't care what you call it but I've had a couple versions and they were pretty good.  I'm not planning on making any anytime soon, but then again I'm not planning on making any regular AIPA's either  ::)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

Surely you jest!  I find that hard to belive from a man who is known for his Rye IPA and his Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter.

There are some good ADA's out there (and a lot of not-so-good ones, too). 
I much prefer the milder versions (darker color and mild roast aroma, if any, with minimal roast flavor and no astringency).  It shouldn't be a hoppy porter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »
I just don't like the combo of roasted malts (often over the top IMO) and high hop rates.  I have nothing against either, but a lot of both just clashes to me.  The only one I've ever had that I really liked was Tom's "Cross Dressing Amateur".  It was a normal IPA darkened with Sinamar....no dark malts at all!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »
I just don't like the combo of roasted malts (often over the top IMO) and high hop rates.  I have nothing against either, but a lot of both just clashes to me.  The only one I've ever had that I really liked was Tom's "Cross Dressing Amateur".  It was a normal IPA darkened with Sinamar....no dark malts at all!

I cold steep Carafa III or BlackPrinz would work Id imagine. Crush the grain finely, add some water. steep cold in the fridge a day in advance. Add that liquid to the last 5 minutes of the boil. No roast, no astringency lots of color as an alternative to sinamar.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
Yeah, I've done the cold steep a number of times but since I discovered Sinamar those days are behind me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »
Yeah, I've done the cold steep a number of times but since I discovered Sinamar those days are behind me!

Sinamar is basically cold steeped carafa extract, no?
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13:08 pm »

Sinamar is basically cold steeped carafa extract, no?

Kinda...according tio Weyermann...

"To get the characteristic color and extract, SINAMAR® is carefully evaporated in a vacuum process, finely filtered and canisters and containers of different sizes are filled directly at 158°F - 167°F (70 - 75°C).  Due to this special treatment the taste of SINAMAR® is less bitter.  SINAMAR® causes no turbidity and remains pH stable."

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Cool stuff. I make Milk Stout with the cold steep method as well but like the roasty character that comes from cold steeping roast barley, chocolate and the like.

Im guessing Sinamar doesn't give much of that character right? It'd work good in a CDA but maybe not so much in a Milk Stout. Denny do you have experiences with this? Im definitely going to try it in a CDA though!
Jason

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:08 am »
I usually refer to it as "Black IPA" since that seems to be the name that many of the micros are rolling with. I'm OK with "Black IPA", since that's a fair description of the style, but not the oxymoronic "Black India Pale Ale". Frankly, I think American Black Ale is the best choice for a name, since it fits with the American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, American Pale Ale naming convention. The problem I see with "Black IPA" means that the style is defined by another style. If the style gets its own name (whether it's American Black or CDA), then I think it has a better chance of evolving on its own and turning into a more distinct style.

And now a recipe-related question. If I want to develop an A-Black-A recipe that has a nice roast malt note, am I better off starting with an IPA recipe I like and swapping some of the specialty grains for roast malt, or am I better off finding a dry porter recipe I like and kicking the hops way up?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:42:24 am »
I like IBA - India Black Ale.  Black IPA is an oxymoron and Cascadian Dark Ale just sounds moronic :o

Agreed.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!