Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it CDA or BIPA?  (Read 13225 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Is it CDA or BIPA?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
I just don't like the combo of roasted malts (often over the top IMO) and high hop rates.  I have nothing against either, but a lot of both just clashes to me.  The only one I've ever had that I really liked was Tom's "Cross Dressing Amateur".  It was a normal IPA darkened with Sinamar....no dark malts at all!
You mean Tom used my name without asking??  Argh! 

I don't know what to call it, but Cascadian Dark Ale isn't it for me.  Black IPA, American Black Ale, Dark Hoppy beer...whatevs.  I usually describe it as a dark hoppy beer to people who have never had my None More Black IPA.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:53 pm »
Short memory - remember this thread?
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8911.msg110568#msg110568

And you said:
Well thanks Tom, I wish I could've tried that beer, myself...And yes, how can one resist a beer called Cross Dressing Amateurs?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8911.msg110568#msg110568

And you said:
Well thanks Tom, I wish I could've tried that beer, myself...And yes, how can one resist a beer called Cross Dressing Amateurs?

Well, there's another one of those offensive beer names. ;)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 07:05:02 am »
Figured I'd stir the pot a little! ;D

For me I like American Black Ale.  An ale that, as far as I understand was made known here in the US, and it's well, black.

I don't mind calling my ABA's Black IPA's, it doesn't really bother me.  While I do agree that something can't be black and pale at the same time.  I never really liked Cascadian Dark Ale.  The word Cascadian is too exhausting to describe to laymen.  A fantasy region...really?

If we're going to get all up in arms about beer style names,  why not change the name of any Barleywine?  Sure it's got barley, but no wine in it what so ever.  Just because it's high in ABV and you tend to age it, doesn't make it even close to wine.

Ever had a Barleyvodka or barleymidori?  I don't think so.  (I just re-read this and the thought of Barleymidori just made me vomit in my mouth a little, sorry guys!)

I do think beer, along with food, is open to interpretation.  I am all for the full steam ahead movement we have right now with craft/micro/nano/homebrew.  If it's good food, I'll eat it.  If it's good beer, I'll drink it.  I don't care what you call it.  I call it liquid deliciousness! ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:08:35 am by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:50:08 am »

And you said:

Well, there's another one of those offensive beer names. ;)

how do you figure? nothing wrong with cross dressing, and amateur just means you are doing something for the love of it. So it simply describes a group of people who wear drag for the fun of it. do cross dressers offend you? Amateurs?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11:19 am »
Still hoping for American Dark Ale (ADA)--perhaps as a future BJCP category 10D.
so as not to be confused with American Brown Ale (ABA)--current BJCP category 10C.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 09:32:01 am »
So here's a theoretical for you. What if I make a beer in this style and hop it with EKG and Fuggles? Does it become an English CDA? Will we need separate American Black Ale and English Black Ale subcategories? Or even worse - American Black IPA and English Black IPA?

And then what if I use Belgian yeast? Does it become a Belgian-English-Cascadian Dark Ale? Oh, the humanity!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:54 am »
So here's a theoretical for you. What if I make a beer in this style and hop it with EKG and Fuggles? Does it become an English CDA? Will we need separate American Black Ale and English Black Ale subcategories? Or even worse - American Black IPA and English Black IPA?
And then what if I use Belgian yeast? Does it become a Belgian-English-Cascadian Dark Ale? Oh, the humanity!

Exactly.  There should be an effort to pare down, consolidate, or even eliminate some of the rather duff categories/subcategories that have been introduced over the years rather than endlessly adding new ones.   ???
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 11:33:01 am »
how do you figure? nothing wrong with cross dressing, and amateur just means you are doing something for the love of it. So it simply describes a group of people who wear drag for the fun of it. do cross dressers offend you? Amateurs?

they don't affend me, but i prefer my cross dressers to be professional 8)
Don AHA member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

And you said:
Oh damn, I forgot about that. Only August? I kinda thought it was a longer time ago than just August that I made that up...

My dark hoppy beer already has a name, so it's not like I'm copyrighting that for my future brew pub. Although I think that'd be pretty awesome if someone opened a pub and called their beer that.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 12:36:01 am »
Hey man, keep the name - it was done in your honor (sarcastic and mocking, sure :) ), not as an attempt to take it.  It's yours, not mine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:55 am »
I can see how people are annoyed with the name "Black IPA," and it used to bother me, too. But after I got used to it, I just thought, "does beer need a serious name?" And I realized that a cheeky, silly name that effectively explains what the beer is all about is better than a name that confuses everyone who isn't intimately familiar with Washington and Oregon. I wouldn't mind that the beer may have been invented in Vermont or Canada, really, but "Cascadian" is a ridiculous word that sounds made-up and I feel silly using that word at a bar here in Northern California, let alone in London or Sydney.

I also don't think a BJCP style name needs to be created for Black IPA, and I think several of the more esoteric styles should be removed. But if I were reworking the guidelines, I would remove several styles and create a couple more "Specialty" styles so that we don't have a Black IPA getting judged against Gose. Something like "Specialty IPA" or "American Specialty Ale," or even "Specialty Strong Ale" could group together all the double red ales, Black IPA's, India Brown Ales, RyeI PA's and whatnot. Then a "Specialty Sour" or "Other Mixed Fermentation" style could get all the American-style sours and Goses and whatnot.

Anyway, I did a blog post about the changes I would make to the BJCP guidelines recently. So if you're interested, here it is: http://brewinginlawschool.blogspot.com/2012/04/problems-with-bjcp-guidelines.html