Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long before there are no spelling or grammar rules?  (Read 7220 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: How long before there are no spelling or grammar rules?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:05 am »
I participate in a couple forums where there can be heated political discussions,  I fond that I tend to ignore the comments of people who can't spell or write properly, no matter which side of an issue they're on.

LOL
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:38:01 am »
I never double space behind a period. It's not a bad idea, but I don't remember that being a requirement.

I "fond" it completely unnecessary. :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:02 am »
I participate in a couple forums where there can be heated political discussions,  I fond that I tend to ignore the comments of people who can't spell or write properly, no matter which side of an issue they're on.

LOL

Typing is my downfall....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:11 am »
I cringe when people cringe over mindless blather over the interwebs.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:35 am »
And I will go to my grave defending the double space behind a period.

Why? not to be argumentative, I cringe whenever someone says something is 'very unique' or, even worse, 'Somewhat unique' as the meaning of the word precludes that kind of qualification. but a double space after a period is just an arbitrary rule with no actual practical use. Perhaps it had one in the past but I can't think of what it would be. The full stop is a full stop. to add an extra space is just wasting bits at this point.

I don't think the lack of a double space is a big deal, but you are supposed to capitalize the beginning of a sentence.  :D

We ALL get in a hurry sometimes, but you can easily spot the blatant abusers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:38:34 pm by bo »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:34 am »
These things bother me:
Irregardless

+1 bazillion

And as far as the double space goes, I was never taught such a thing. Must be back from the days of, what were they called... oh yeah - typewriters, right? :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:53 am »

Really???   ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:03 am »

LOL

Typing is my downfall....
I'm sorry what? I was ignoring you.

as an earlier poster said, there are people who do not have a great grasp of the arbitrary rules of spelling and grammer, or even of vocabulary who are, none the less, very smart. If someone is communicating in a second language do you ignore them? I gotta say, beyond basic object/subject/verb brain structure level sentence structure I don't get that worked up about grammer. Spelling can be more of a problem as we have so many words in english that sound the same, have slightly different spellings and vastly different meanings. There, their and they're is a good example of that. Of course, if we are going to get all rules driven about language then we have to come up with a solution to the the problem of tear and tear.

'I felt a tear run down my cheek as I watched the tear run down my favorite coat'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 09:46:35 am »

So when you cringe over other people cringing, does that make you cringe at yourself?

OMG

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
My point is, one of my business parters graduated from Dartmouth, he's an award winning journalist and now an editor at a medium size newspaper. and in emails he makes grammar mistakes all the time, and spelling, and especially punctuation - mainly because he's in a hurry or typing on his iPhone. But when he wants to really wants to make a thoughtful point his grammar, et al, is perfect. So I wouldn't stress over a few grammar and punctuation mistakes on forums. Just doesn;t bother me much.

That's the theg I do the most, BTW. I always type ";" when I mean to type "'". Just can't hep mysef. ;)

edit: LOL on those last posts.  ;D

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

And as far as the double space goes, I was never taught such a thing. Must be back from the days of, what were they called... oh yeah - typewriters, right? :)

The double space was taught back in the days of typewriters, because every letter had identical kerning at that time, and so the extra space made it easier to spot sentence structure, and not just an i next to a j with a big kern gap in the middle.  Nowadays with word processing and variable kerning, the need for the double space is lost, and apparently the official rule (if there is one) is to single space.  The auto correction of iOS of a double space to period and single space doesnt help.

But I will continue to double space, if nothing else just to piss off my marketing team who have to edit every paper I write.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:55 am »

Why? not to be argumentative, I cringe whenever someone says something is 'very unique' or, even worse, 'Somewhat unique' as the meaning of the word precludes that kind of qualification. but a double space after a period is just an arbitrary rule with no actual practical use. Perhaps it had one in the past but I can't think of what it would be. The full stop is a full stop. to add an extra space is just wasting bits at this point.
To me it makes things easier to read, particularly when there is a need to skim.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 10:07:54 am »

I don't the lack of a double space is a big deal, but you are supposed to capitalize the beginning of a sentence.  :D

We ALL get in a hurry sometimes, but you can easily spot the blatant abusers.

Yes, indeed you can.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
Without gesture, volume, modulation and the other audio/visual signals that help us interpret intent, language and syntax become more important not less.

Tapping keys is really a s***ty way of communicating..........I cut people some slack for taking shortcuts, but sometimes it's annoying.  Particularly when a misunderstanding occurs as a result.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"