Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why should I renew my subscription?  (Read 37441 times)

Offline brewerabq

• 1st Kit
Re: Why should I renew my subscription?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 11:36:51 am »

Ask not what the AHA can do for you, but what you can do for the AHA!

But seriously, this is our body or organization that preserves and legitimizes our hobby of brewing.  The magazine and discounts are nice perks.  I hop you stay a member.  Pat

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »
Friends… Today I am proud to be among you!  8)
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »
My membership expired a few weeks ago.  Honestly, I was planning on letting it lapse, but this thread (and perhaps a pint of DVBIP) convinced me otherwise.  So I just renewed.  I do enjoy Zymurgy...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
My membership expired a few weeks ago.  Honestly, I was planning on letting it lapse, but this thread (and perhaps a pint of DVBIP) convinced me otherwise.  So I just renewed.  I do enjoy Zymurgy...

Two mugs up to you Franklin!  8)

AHA membership is a right...so let's exercize it.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »
Friends… Today I am proud to be among you!  8)

Cheers!  :)
Ron Price

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 10:54:27 pm »
I just renewed my AHA membership for the next two years.  I enjoy getting Zymurgy and I also get 5% off at my LHBS. So between those two things it pretty much pays for itself. As far as the magazine getting boring....well I think that after subscribing for a few years most "hobby" magazines do get boring. Do I really want to read another article about kegging, yeast starters, or growing hops? Probably not....unless something dramatic has occurred in the 2-3 year time span since they last had an article about those subjects.  However....there are lots of new brewers who are seeing that information for the first time.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:46 am »
I definitely agree with being an AHA member for the work the AHA does in changing homebrewing laws.  I live in Wisconsin and our laws have recently been changed so we will be able to legally take homebrew outside of our homes.  Zymurgy & the pub discounts are an added bonus.  Yes, the articles do get a bit monotonous after a few years but I think that can happen with any hobby mag.  My dollars also help support this awesome forum!

Cheers,
Brandon Kolbe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:27 am »
Maybe Zymurgy needs a centerfold to spice thing up a little:

Thank you for starting this thread.  I've been so busy I realized I still haven't renewed for next year ( mine expires on June 30th ).

Zymurgy is a great magazine and a bonus for my dues.  I only have a couple places in NH that offer discounts, but luckily one is where I attend my homebrew club meetings so I get good use out of it each year. 

I am mostly a member to support the AHA, whether it be changing legislation, setting up competitions, or providing this great resource of information, the AHA Forum.

Now if I can only get them to work on getting better beer at Walt Disney World.  I spent the last week there and the best I could find was a Black and Tan in England at the World Showcase in Epcot.  ( Even the beer at Germany wasn't that great...and that is a sin ). :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 11:45:04 am »
Maybe Zymurgy needs a centerfold to spice thing up a little:

+1  :D

I am mostly a member to support the AHA, whether it be changing legislation, setting up competitions, or providing this great resource of information, the AHA Forum.
Same for me.  Especially The Forum!  Because of this forum, I was able to snag a 1st place ribbon in my first homebrew competition for my 1st mead!

Thank you guys!
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »
I personally would be a bit embarrassed to frequently use this forum and not contribute something to it's maintenance. The collective wisdom of the longtime AHA members who contribute to and moderate this forum is more than worth the price of membership.  Also, I've lived in 2 states now where the active efforts of AHA and it's members have made it possible to pursue this hobby legally.

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”
    -Aldous Huxley
+1000
And the 5% discount at my LHBS covers my ROI. 
It's a no brainer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:15 pm »
I personally would be a bit embarrassed to frequently use this forum and not contribute something to it's maintenance. The collective wisdom of the longtime AHA members who contribute to and moderate this forum is more than worth the price of membership.  Also, I've lived in 2 states now where the active efforts of AHA and it's members have made it possible to pursue this hobby legally.

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”
    -Aldous Huxley
It's like all those people who listen to NPR and never contrib... never mind  :-\ (gotta get that membership up to date as well!)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 02:28:23 pm »

-Aldous Huxley
It's like all those people who listen to NPR and never contrib... never mind  :-\ (gotta get that membership up to date as well!)

I'm starting to make up for all the years I listened to NPR and didn't donate (because I was broke).  Now I make my donation and decline the thank you gifts.  I have all the coffee mugs and handbags and t-shirts I could possibly need.   8^)

Kind of the same with the AHA.  Long before I started brewing, someone was contributing funds to the AHA to get home brewing legalized and to educate brewers.  Once I started brewing and was looking for resources I paid my fees.  I've learned a ton from Zymergy and lend issues to people who want to learn but can't afford subscriptions or other extras right now.  I have never used the Pub Discount because I rarely have the chance to.

I pay my dues because I owe the AHA a big debt for the resources they provide.  The magazine and discounts are just gravy.  (Although the ball cap from GABF I got for subscribing once was my favorite hat until it disappeared one day.)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:01 am »
I subscribe to both Zymurgy and BYO. If I ever learn EVERYTHING there is to know about homebrewing, I'll stop subscribing and start writing all the articles.

But that probably wont ever happen.

The old stay-in-school slogan "Knowledge is Power" applies directly to homebrewing. Keep reading. Keep learning. Read on same topic over and over, then explore its depths through other channels (forums, blogs, technical journals, LHBS owners, Google, etc).

ALSO - The AHA is always looking for input. Ask them to cover things you're interested in! http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8767.0

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 04:26:09 pm »
Being new to brewing AHA is well worth the money. I learn something new every magazine and get some recipe ideas and such. Plus using my AHA card for discounts at pubs is extremly worth it, not just for the discount but for the look on the drunk peoples faces when I save money. For instance, one old drunk was arguing with me how much a growler would cost. Sundays a growler is $2 off for everyone and with the AHA card it's $2 off as well. So she kept yelling at me saying I am getting a good deal for $10 bucks. I whip out that card and BOOM $8. She went ballistic. Well worth my money to AHA.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »
But in the end, why make a dramatic episode out of being a member.  Quite honestly, if you have to ask the question, then you have already made your decision. So it is either adios, or welcome back, the choice is yours.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag