Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing pecans  (Read 4935 times)

Offline mcdanis

• Cellarman
  • Chattanooga, TN
Sanitizing pecans
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:16:54 am »
I'm doing some experimenting with pecans at different stages in the brewing process.  Any advice on time/temp to roast pecans to ensure they are sanitized before adding to the secondary?
Snotter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Sanitizing pecans
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:48 am »
You are probably alright not sanitizing them but toasting them at 350 for twenty minutes should to the trick.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:57:43 am »
Toasting them will completely change their flavor. How about a short microwave? I've never tried this myself.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:24:47 am by bo »

Offline mcdanis

• Cellarman
  • Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:03:18 am »
I think that I'll be OK with a toasted flavor, but it is an experiment, so we'll see.  I'm just not sure how hot and how long it will take to kill most of the nasties that are probably on the pecans.
Snotter

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:12:08 am »
Starsan.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
Toasting them will completely change their flavor. How about a short microwave? I've never tried this myself.

Thats a flavor you want however, imo all nuts should be toasted before consumption or use or whatever. Brings the oils of the nut out and makes it taste like it should.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:14:24 am »

Thats a flavor you want however, imo all nuts should be toasted before consumption or use or whatever. Brings the oils of the nut out and makes it taste like it should.

My thought as well.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:10 am »
Why not make a pecan extract?  I have made this, but never added it to a beer.  So I can not comment on that aspect.

http://qmixalot.com/how-to-make-pecan-extract

But, if you are wanting to "dry nut" the beer I would probably do a similar method as cacao nibs.  Toast in the oven at the lowest setting until golden brown or your desired color and then place in a sanitized bag in your keg.  I doubt the oils and head retention should be much of a concern if you keg.  The oil tends to float and the keg pulls the beer off the bottom.  I have never used pecan nuts, but have had no issues will oil and head retention using coconut or cacao nibs.

Maybe try to contact Abita brewing and see how they use pecans?  I know they make a pecan beer every year.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
My understanding is the people who have had the most success with pecans were applying them in the mash and nowhere else.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis