Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what should i buy with my tax return  (Read 7563 times)

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
what should i buy with my tax return
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »
i currently have a kit from more beer bottling deluxe is what it was comes with bottling bucket 5 gallon boil pot spoon syphon steeping bags capper and some bottles.  But like i mentioned before in my post about all grain im trying to make a switch so what would be some cool things to get with my return.  I was thinking about buying a chest freezer and buying a temp controller and turning into a nice temp controlled enviornment or maybe a mash tun
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: what should i buy with my tax return
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
If you want to spend some of those bucks to help you with an all grain setup the mashtun would be a good first step and then maybe a bigger brewpot so it's less of a hassle to do your boils.  Also, with a bigger boil you'd want to think about a wort chiller.  Out of those the pot is probably going to be the most expensive.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:59:55 pm »
If you want to spend some of those bucks to help you with an all grain setup the mashtun would be a good first step and then maybe a bigger brewpot so it's less of a hassle to do your boils.  Also, with a bigger boil you'd want to think about a wort chiller.  Out of those the pot is probably going to be the most expensive.

thanks tygo i have the wort chiller already i was just thinking more a less of healthy fermentation so should i just use denny's setup for building a mash or do you have any sugestions
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:01 pm »
I agree with the mashtun.  I would also check Craig's list for a freezer or even brewing equipment. 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »
I think it's early in your brewing career for a fermentation chamber - KEGERATOR is the way to go.
How much are you letting us spend? Pumps, stainless steel rigs, pids, burners...
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
.How much are you letting us spend?

haha i mean $500

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:58 pm »
Denny's setup is the way to go.  Maybe add a fancy ball valve into the mix  ;)

I got a 70 qt coleman xtreme on amazon for $36.  I  just checked that site and they don't currently have a good deal on them but I'm sure they will again.

I used these instructions to convert it, which were posted in another thread:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

Works great.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:44 am »

I got a 70 qt coleman xtreme on amazon for $36.  I  just checked that site and they don't currently have a good deal on them but I'm sure they will again.

I used these instructions to convert it, which were posted in another thread:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

Works great.

I just bought the same cooler.  Thanks for the link regarding how to convert it!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 08:31:40 am »
Temp control will make the biggest impact and improvement on your beer. Full boil and outdoor burner are probably next. Then all grain. FTR you can make a MT on the cheap - http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:30:26 am »
I would go keging before going all grain.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:33:51 am by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
thanks tygo i have the wort chiller already i was just thinking more a less of healthy fermentation so should i just use denny's setup for building a mash or do you have any sugestions

I agree with you.  Whether you brew extract or AG, your beers will improve if you can control their fermentation environment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:32:51 am »

FWIW, I found that in my setup a ball valve actually made it perform worse.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 10:09:27 am »
I agree with you.  Whether you brew extract or AG, your beers will improve if you can control their fermentation environment.

What if he's got a basement that holds fairly steady temps already? Granted you're not "controlling" it; but if you're already at suitable temps down there, wouldn't a different purchase be in order, maybe? If he's fermenting next to the couch while watching TV then I would agree; but we don't know his whole process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:29 am »
What if he's got a basement that holds fairly steady temps already? Granted you're not "controlling" it; but if you're already at suitable temps down there, wouldn't a different purchase be in order, maybe? If he's fermenting next to the couch while watching TV then I would agree; but we don't know his whole process.

And what if he doesn't?  Neither of us knows the answer to that.  In any case, I still think that fermentation control is the single biggest improvement you can make to beer quality...bigger even that switching to AG.  And when you do switch to AG, you already have the temp control covered.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
What if .....; but we don't know his whole process......

And what if he doesn't?  Neither of us knows the answer to that.

Ah, you're just trolling for a fight now.  ;) 

I'll start another thread on Ferm Temp. It's interesting, and seemingly underdiscussed.