Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: growing pineapples  (Read 16540 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
growing pineapples
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »
Alright, as I suspected the questions just keep popping up so I think it deserves it's own thread.

So, according to puna these guys like a pretty balanced fertilizer he says 16-16-16 twice a year. I tend towards just using compost which does tend to be pretty balanced.

I'm thinking puna is probably right that this one isn't really an eating pineapple but that's okay, it'll still be fun. Might be time to go get myself a pineapple at the store and start a proper one.

questions;

1) if I buy a fruit at the store and start the top it's a clone so I don't have to worry about gene drift correct?
2) if they are flowering in February do I need to hand pollinate? it's gonna have to live inside at that time of year.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: growing pineapples
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18:30 pm »
awesome, i want to know how this goes.  i tried this before and was never successful
Don AHA member

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »
I just bought a pineapple. I'd like to know how to start one as well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
check out the growing food thread for puna's advice.

but basically you remove the green top from the fruit, Puna says to twist it off like a bottle cap. Let it dry for a couple days, peel off a few layers of leaves at the bottom and plant it.

I have also heard of starting in a cup of water after removing, drying and cleaning the top.

I got one to start this way years ago but fell down on my maintenance and killed it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »
I use 16-16-16 because it is more concentrated.  My pineapple patch is pretty big and very spikey (I wear safety goggles when reaching into my pineapple patch).  I take about 1/4 cup of fertilizer and hand place it around the base of the pineapple plant.  If you broadcast the fertilizer over your pineapples the granuals will get caught in the base of the leaves and burn the plant. 

Pineapples are bromiliads and get much of their sustenance from the air.  Here in Hawaii they grow like weeds.  One plant will make slips and suckers and in a few years you will have dozens growing where you planted just one.

AFAIK no pollenization is necessary to create fruit, so clones they are.  Pineapple seeds are tiny little black things (about the size of a gnat) and can be found in the outer portion of the ripe fruit meat, where the little circular part of the fruit skin (formerly the flower) impinges into the fruit meat.  A friend of mine once grew a pineapple from a seed he found while eating a pineapple just to see if he could do it.  It took a couple of years, and he got a nice fruit from seed.   Everyone else grows them from tops, or slips, or suckers. 

Being clones, they are true (WYSIWYG).  The drifting is saved for the dirt track racers ("Turn right to go left!")

Some people like to start tops in a small glass of water.  It's pretty cool to do it that way.  Tiny little root nubs form where the removed leaves used to attach to the trunk.  I have found no advantage to starting tops in dirt or water.  Being able to watch the roots form by water starting is fun though.  Change the water often.

I just take my tops now and throw them back into the pineapple patch.  If the grow great, if not they become mulch.  Most grow.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »
So pulling/breaking the top off it preferred to cutting it off?

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
Twisting the top off is neater.  Just grab the fruit in one hand, the top with your other hand, and twist the fruit until they top detaches.  It just leaves a small hole in the fruit, and just a tiny bit of fruit on the top.  Let the top dry for a couple of days, then remove the bottom 10 leaves of so to expose about an inch of trunk. Then plant in potting soil.  Or you can put the inch of exposed trunk into a shallow glass of water (enough water just to reach the bottom of the remaining leaves).  Change the water every couple of days, and plant in potting soil when the roots form.

More on pineapples over here:  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11359.msg154109#new
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:56:22 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:24:09 pm »
Damn you Carl!  Why have you never mentioned this before?  I could have a pineapple by now!

I'm going to have to start one of these soon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:44:17 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:28:31 pm »
Thanks, I'm trying it on the one I just bought

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »
that is what i did wrong, i never peeled back the bottom leaves to form a trunk.  i was told to just take the top and put in dirt.  that was years ago just after leaving mililani and getting back to portland. now i know.. yahoo.
Don AHA member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:50:53 pm »
Cool tips. I didn't know about the ripping off leaves part. I just tried this a couple of days ago, but I just lopped the top off as I usually do and put it in a pot. I just assumed it worked the way it does with celery (i.e., just lop the bottom off and pot it). Well, if this one doesn't make it I'll just try it again with another one. We eat at least one or two a week so I always have plenty of opportunity.

Unfortunately I think it will just end up being a summer ornamental regardless. Living in New England with no southern windows puts a damper on tropical plants.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:42 pm »
I got a pineapple last night and twisted the top off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »

I am sorry, and i don't know why, but that statement just sound ominous.
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »

Once you prep a pineapple that way it will become SOP.

Kinda like one-handed mudbug eating.  Once you get it, it is an aha moment.  (Doug Lindley showed me one-handed mugbug eating 20 years ago...  Bugs with one hand, Acadian pilsener with the other).

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:23 am »
Why must you post stuff like this?

I now have a pineapple top in a vase of water in my kitchen.

I have other things to do, people!!!

But, I suppose the kids will love it. 

Supposing it grows, I doubt this thing will survive inside through a Chicago winter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton