Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Massive haul from trip to CO  (Read 19772 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Massive haul from trip to CO
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »
Went back to CO for some camping by Redstone. Since the liquor stores in MO are mostly terrible, I picked up some beers on the way back. Some are new to me, others I just missed. I'm not a great reviewer, but I'll  put a little blurb by each as I drink them.

Crooked Stave, Petite Sour - Most disappointing beer ever. Big sweaty horse nose, thin and watery, no real flavor, just sour.
Funkwerks, Brett Dream - Great saison, just a bit of Brett, so don't expect a Brett-bomb.
Great Divide, Oak-aged Yeti - Awesome, maybe my favorite imperial stout
Great Divide, Belgian Yeti - BDS? Really, really dark BDS? That's what it tasted like. Not nearly as much roasted character as the regular Yeti, and much more caramel/raisin flavor.
Great Divide, Hoss - Thick, rich Maerzen. I don't pick up a lot of rye character. Maybe the subtle spiciness is coming from the rye, but it seems more like hops to me.
Great Divide, Colette - Really nice saison. Just the right acidity / yeasty balance.
Avery, Out of Bounds Stout - Solid, hop-forward stout. Roasty with a good amount of bittering.
Odell, Footprint - Really complex and cool.
Arcadia, Cereal Killer 2009 -
Dieu du Ciel, Rigor Mortis - Decent, but wouldn't buy again. It has a strange caramel sweetness I found cloying.
Mikkeler - Monk's Brew - Really nice. Best Quad I've had.
Duchesse de Bourgogne -
De Proefbrouwerij, Reinaert Wild Ale -
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:34:05 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Re: Massive haul from trip to CO
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »
The Odell's Footprint is very interesting. It's very unique combination of flavors. I do wish that Funkwerks would bottle and distribute more of there beers out of N. Colo
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:25:25 am »
Camping. OK. But I'll accept "beer-run" as a motivator. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:21:33 am »
The Odell's Footprint is very interesting. It's very unique combination of flavors. I do wish that Funkwerks would bottle and distribute more of there beers out of N. Colo

I got Funkwerk's Saison and Tropic King the last time I was in CO. I was really disappointed by the Saison, but the Tropic King was good. I mean, the Saison was OK, but for a brewery that only brews Saisons, I expected something fantastic.

I feel the same way about Crooked Stave. It seems pretentious to call yourself an "Artisan beer project" and then make beer that is mediocre. I only had the one beer from Crooked Stave, but it was the most bland, boring, tasteless sour I've ever had. Tasted like bad homebrewed apple cider.

I had been looking forward to all of those beers for months, so maybe my expectations were too high. Still, don't call yourself an "artisan" unless you can make better beer than the big boys.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

Great Divide, Oak-aged Yeti - Awesome, maybe my favorite imperial stout
Great Divide, Belgian Yeti -

Duchesse de Bourgogne -

Oak aged Yeti... Might be my favorite imperial stout ever too.  I like it better than the regular, better than the coffee, better than the chocolate, and better than just about every other imperial stout out there.  Really, the regular oak aged yeti is friggin' THE s***.

Belgian Yeti was really interesting.  I was expecting another stout when I tried it the first time, but was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't a stout at all.  Very delicious stuff!

Duchess de Borgogne - Unbelieveably amazing stuff in my opinion.  I'll take the trip to St Louis any day just to pick up a 750 of this stuff.

I would love to go camping on colorado again, btw.  lucky dog.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:09:17 pm by alcaponejunior »

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »
Right now, I have a 22oz of the following Imperial Stouts

Oak Aged Yeti
Chocolate Yeti
Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
Dark Intrigue (Storm King Stout aged in Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrels)

When I have something big to celebrate, I am going to have a couple beer people over for a side by side tasting of all 4....

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
Yeah, Oak-aged Yeti is probably my favorite as well. I can't think of any other I like as much. I'd say Avery's Czar is a close second though. I couldn't find any of that, though. I think it's seasonal.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:43:02 am by nateo »

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »

I got Funkwerk's Saison and Tropic King the last time I was in CO. I was really disappointed by the Saison, but the Tropic King was good. I mean, the Saison was OK, but for a brewery that only brews Saisons, I expected something fantastic.

I feel the same way about Crooked Stave. It seems pretentious to call yourself an "Artisan beer project" and then make beer that is mediocre. I only had the one beer from Crooked Stave, but it was the most bland, boring, tasteless sour I've ever had. Tasted like bad homebrewed apple cider.

I had been looking forward to all of those beers for months, so maybe my expectations were too high. Still, don't call yourself an "artisan" unless you can make better beer than the big boys.

i agree crooked stave was just average to me. Last time i was in Ft Collins i did get a chance to pick a few "new" beers from funkwerks that were good. I agree also the the standard saision is not one of their better ones
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:18 am »
For you folks that don't like Funkwerks standard Saison - the GABF judges do not a agree with you. It won Gold last year.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:39:19 am »
I like it but it's not my favorite of theirs

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:43 am »
For you folks that don't like Funkwerks standard Saison - the GABF judges do not a agree with you. It won Gold last year.

Huh? http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/themes/2011/assets/uploads/gabf11_winners.pdf

"Category: 68 French- and Belgian-Style Saison - 65 Entries
Gold: Saison-Brett, Boulevard Brewing Co., Kansas City, MO
Silver: Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks, Fort Collins, CO
Bronze: Sofi e, Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago, IL"

The GABF judges can think whatever they want, but IMO there are a lot of beers that medaled that I don't think are the best in their categories. For examples, I have a hard time believing that Sam Adam's Octoberfest is really the 3rd best Maerzen. But other people like it, so whatever.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »
Tried the Odell "Footprint" beer tonight. First impression was a Golden Strong. Then it tasted more like spicy/fruity cider almost, then it tasted like tonic water with quinine. That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but it was really cool.

I'm horrible at reviews, so I'm sorry. I remind myself of a section from the show "Party Down" (Which is amazing, if you haven't seen it.) An old hispanic maid is drinking Steve Gutenberg's super-fancy wine and says, "This one tastes like rocks. This one tastes like sticks." To which the Gute replies, "Good!"

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 03:43:56 am »
Silver - I don't know why I was thinking gold. As for Sam Adams O-fest, it is my favorite widely distributed US-brewed O-fest (my top being mine - no distribution, except my garage, 2nd being Dry Dock's - but the brewer is now opening his own place so that may change).
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:51:24 am »
Silver - I don't know why I was thinking gold. As for Sam Adams O-fest, it is my favorite widely distributed US-brewed O-fest (my top being mine - no distribution, except my garage, 2nd being Dry Dock's - but the brewer is now opening his own place so that may change).

Any idea what the brewer's new place will be? Drydock is my favorite small Denver brewery. I use to work not too far from there, so I'd get my brewing supplies and a pint or two there. Their Hefe was solid. Maybe the best commercial Hefe I've had. I don't think GABF medals mean a whole lot, but I can see why that one got a gold.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Boulevard Saison-Brett is amazing stuff, glad to see they got a medal for that one.