Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxidation risk with batch sparging  (Read 10990 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
oxidation risk with batch sparging
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:59:49 am »
I have done a little of both batch and continuous sparging and am wondering about the increased risk of oxidation when the grain bed is uncovered with batch sparging. I was reading some of the threads concerning fly vs batch sparging and noticed simplicity and wort clarity mentioned but not oxidation. Is oxidation such a small problem that it doesn't out weigh the other benefits? In the March-April 2008 BYO there is an article comparing the two methods and it mentioned a sort of hybrid technique where the wort is drained but not completely, so that the grain bed remains covered and then additional water added prior to draining again. This process is repeated as often as needed until the correct boil volume is obtained. I may give this a try as I no longer have a set up that allows me to both add water and drain simultaneously.

I am curious if folks more experienced with batch sparging have any issues with oxidation.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: oxidation risk with batch sparging
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:10:25 am »
I've never had problem with oxidation or hot side aeration when batch sparging since I started all grain brewing 5 years ago.  It possible that it's there but I can't pick it up.  And I've been know to stir the heck out of the mash and sparge too.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:16:15 am »
Never had an issue with HSA or oxidation in over 5years of batch sparging.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:18:23 am »
I believe pre-boil HSA is a myth, a fallacy, something invented by somone with too much time on their hands...etc.

Once my tun (I fly sparge), was sucking in air at the valve and before I noticed it I had a kettle full of foam while sparging. I started to fix it and figured why not have a nice experiment so I let it roll. Boiled, cooled, fermented, etc. Beer turned out fine and was fine over 6 months later. So what that tells me is it is nearly impossible to oxidize a beer pre-boil. Now if just anyone provided me with that info I might be skeptical, but I've been a BJCP judge a long time and while I am not hypersensitive to oxidation, I do know how to detect it.

So spash away pre-boil...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:00 am »
HSA is about as big of a risk as getting hit by a meteor. It's a "real" risk, in that it exists, but the odds of it happening are so fantastically small you really shouldn't let it affect how you live your life.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
Theres an archived episode of Brewstrong with Dr Charles Bamforth from UC Davis on HSA. The jist of it is it's not something homebrewers need to worry about.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:26 am »
Theres an archived episode of Brewstrong with Dr Charles Bamforth from UC Davis on HSA. The jist of it is it's not something homebrewers need to worry about.
Yes, he says almost all of it can be corrected with a good healthy fermetnation. He said there are many more things on the cold side to worry about and get under control before we should worry about HSA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:53 am »
I've found anything that man has to say about brewing is worth listening to. A wealth of information and he's entertaining as hell. I downloaded an audiobook of his from audible that was great. He's done a couple of Beersmith podcasts as well, mashing and beerfoam if I remember.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:12 am »
I've found anything that man has to say about brewing is worth listening to. A wealth of information and he's entertaining as hell. I downloaded an audiobook of his from audible that was great. He's done a couple of Beersmith podcasts as well, mashing and beerfoam if I remember.

He did the podcast on diacetyl, too. Didn't realize he was on the Beerfoam one. I'll be downloading that one to listen to on the ride home.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
oxidation risk with batch sparging
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:28:16 am »
I've batch sparged over 420 batches.  If oxidation was an issue, I would have noticed it by now and changed my technique.  When BYO published that article, there was a firestorm over on the NB forum with people challenging the article.  The other thing to keep in mind is that the guy who wrote the article had never batch sparged, so he had no empirical evidence.  Book learnin' is great, but real life experience trumps it every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:51 am »
I've batch sparged over 420 batches.  If oxidation was an issue, I would have noticed it by now and changed my technique.  When BYO published that article, there was a firestorm over on the NB forum with people challenging the article.  The other thing to keep in mind is that the guy who wrote the article had never batch sparged, so he had no empirical evidence.  Book learnin' is great, but real life experience trumps it every time.

+1

My experience has also shown that this theory is invalid.  There may be some oxidation that occurs during the mash but it doesn't adversely affect the end product.  YMMV.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:21 pm »

+1

My experience has also shown that this theory is invalid.  There may be some oxidation that occurs during the mash but it doesn't adversely affect the end product.  YMMV.

+2 - never had an issue - 7 years of batch sparging, 1600+ gal of beer that was unoxidized (well at least initially  ;) )
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »
I'll also add that once you get the wort to the boil, the solubility of dissolved gases drops to zero anyway, so HSA could only occur in the window between sparging and boiling.  Ive always batch sparged, always stirred the hell out of it, and never had a problem.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »
I ran a very small pro brew system (a little under 3 bbls) for about a year and batch sparge every batch out of it because at that size it was easier and never had a problem.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:58:42 am »
In the March-April 2008 BYO there is an article comparing the two methods and it mentioned a sort of hybrid technique where the wort is drained but not completely, so that the grain bed remains covered and then additional water added prior to draining again. This process is repeated as often as needed until the correct boil volume is obtained. I may give this a try as I no longer have a set up that allows me to both add water and drain simultaneously.
I don't find oxidation to be an issue with batch sparging, either.

However, I have used the hybrid sparge technique they describe, many times.  I use it for beers like pale lagers, in an attempt to minimize tannin extraction.  It might be helpful for brewers with slightly alkaline water by increasing the buffering power during the sparge.

I only use a single sparge.  I drain the first runnings to just above the top of the grain bed, add all the sparge water, stir well, vorlauf, and drain completely.    It's an interesting variation on batch sparging, but I can't say there's much, if any, real benefit on my system, but it doesn't hurt much to give it a try.  I assumed it would hurt efficiency severely, but, for a 1.050 beer, my efficiency drops from ~87% to ~84%, when I use the technique.