Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian pale malt vs English pale malt (Golden Promise)?  (Read 19420 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Belgian pale malt vs English pale malt (Golden Promise)?
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:46:17 am »
I've been thinking/researching this for a while. What I've found has overwhelmingly been conjecture, so I'm looking for some practical experience. How exactly, in a finished beer, is Belgian pale malt different from an English (Scottish?) pale malt like Golden Promise?

The only "reputable" take on the topic I've found was this, by Fix: http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/fix.html

He basically said they're both great. Any thoughts?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Belgian pale malt vs English pale malt (Golden Promise)?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:48 am »
Dr. Fix had one hell of a palette.

If he says its too close to call, I'm just going with whatever's cheaper from now on...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
IMO, it will be quite a noticeable difference.  Pils malt (Belgian or otherwise) will be crisp and light.  Golden Promise will have a much more pronounced malt profile and a sweeter flavor.  IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:20 am »
IMO, it will be quite a noticeable difference.  Pils malt (Belgian or otherwise) will be crisp and light.  Golden Promise will have a much more pronounced malt profile and a sweeter flavor.  IMO.

Yeah, the "pils v pale" thing has been done to death. I'm trying to figure out the difference between Belgian pale malt and UK pale malt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:02 am »

Yeah, the "pils v pale" thing has been done to death. I'm trying to figure out the difference between Belgian pale malt and UK pale malt.

Oops, sorry!  I think the difference between most UK and Belgian pale malts is going to be negligible.  IIRC, Golden Promise is kilned a bit darker and has a maltier flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

Simpsons GP is at 1.9L and is sweet and malty.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/british-golden-promise.html

Thomas Fawcett GP is darker, around 3L, and has some toasty flavor.
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Fawcett-Golden-Promise-Malt-%28by-the-pound%29.html

I have had a beer made with light color Maris Otter, and it is Malty/Sweet without the toasty bready flavor.

Just saying there is the variety and then there is how it is malted.

Oops, sorry!  I think the difference between most UK and Belgian pale malts is going to be negligible.  IIRC, Golden Promise is kilned a bit darker and has a maltier flavor.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »
I've got most of a sack of the Simpsons GP. For some reason, I thought I'd be brewing a lot of UK styles this year, which was dumb because I almost only brew continental styles. I have a sack of floor-malted bopils, but I had to mail-order that so it's quite a bit more expensive than the GP I got at my LHBS.

I guess what I'm getting at is, should I use my bopils malt for Belgian ales, or can I reasonably substitute the GP for the pils, in Belgian styles? You know, the typical enkel/tripel/dubbel/quad type beers.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:36:23 am »
I say use the Golden Promise but cut back on specialty malts such as caramunich or crystal.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:34:37 am »
They are both great, but GP has a sweeter, biscuit flavor to my palate.  Keep in mind that Fix' article was written 19 years ago and there have been changes since then.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 08:54:39 am »
I've got a sour enkel and a flanders red planned. I guess I'll try the GP and see what happens. I usually use a bit of aromatic malt too (5% or so). Should I cut back the aromatic? It's the Simpsons 2*L stuff, not the Fawcett 3*L.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:57:45 am by nateo »

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:38:31 am »
If you belong to a local hombrew club you could try selling your grain to someone.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
If you belong to a local hombrew club you could try selling your grain to someone.

I don't usually care about brewing to style, as long as it tastes good. We'll see how the next couple beers go before I give up on the GP.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
I used GP for a mini-mash on an American Bitter after finding out 21st Amendment uses it in their Bitter American.  I'm pleased with the results.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »
During mashing, I was definitely getting a "graham cracker" aroma. Is that what was meant by "toasty/biscuity?" I'll try to reserve judgment until I taste the beer, but I think I see what a few of you mentioned. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »
During mashing, I was definitely getting a "graham cracker" aroma. Is that what was meant by "toasty/biscuity?" I'll try to reserve judgment until I taste the beer, but I think I see what a few of you mentioned.

Yeah, I think that's a good description.

www.dennybrew.com