Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe help please  (Read 15542 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Recipe help please
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:47 am »
Ya know, I keep hearing about how bad Summit hops are and the onion/garlic thing, and I've even tasted it in some beers.  But I get a great tangerine flavor and aroma from them.  Maybe I got a good batch.....

I've heard about the tangerine thing too, but I've never tasted it.  If someone has made one that has that character without the stankiness, I'd love to try it.  And I've tried them from people who really know how to brew.  If Nathan Smith gives me an IPA of his and I don't like it, then I know I don't like those hops.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:42 am »
Maybe he put his feet in it....

I've heard rumors that the character is crop dependent.  That certainly doesn't do us much good since you have to know if you're buying from a good crop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:34 am »
There is a sulfur compound, dimethyl trisulfide (DMTS), that is responsible for the Garlic and Onion. It will vary from year to year, and gets higher if the hops are harvested late.

I am not a fan of Summit. The DMTS will boil off, so those can be used for bittering without making a Garlic and Onioin beer.

Scroll to sulfur compounds in each of these.
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/chemistry-of-beer-aging/
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices/18-brewing-science/853-hop-chemistry-homebrew-science
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:15 am »
This is an interesting situation.....opposing viewpoints from two people I hugely respect. As Gordon has nailed my
tasting experience with the "stanky feet" commentary and given it a  perfect descriptor, I'm going to steer clear of the Summit hops for this batch. I'll see if I can nab an ounce or two to do a little experiment and determine if Summit is the reason I am repulsed by some beers I have tasted that I believe are using it. Thanks for your input everyone......and Keith, am I to take away from this that you are NOT fond of Summit. ;)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe help please
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:07 am »
I have had only ever had commercial beers made with the hop. Never had one that I liked. You'd think if it was crop dependent I would have found one I liked. OTOH I have stopped trying those beers now. ;)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 11:24:20 am »
Just as a matter of interest, what comm'l beers are readily available that use Summit hops? I'd like to try a couple.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 11:28:27 am »
Just as a matter of interest, what comm'l beers are readily available that use Summit hops? I'd like to try a couple.

The one I always think of is Green Flash IPA.  I've definitely gotten onion/garlic notes from that, as well as the tangerine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:38 am »
Gubna is one. Founders Devil Dancer was an onion bomb last year. They have changed to Apollo this year, no Onion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:35 am »
This is an interesting situation.....opposing viewpoints from two people I hugely respect. As Gordon has nailed my
tasting experience with the "stanky feet" commentary and given it a  perfect descriptor, I'm going to steer clear of the Summit hops for this batch. I'll see if I can nab an ounce or two to do a little experiment and determine if Summit is the reason I am repulsed by some beers I have tasted that I believe are using it. Thanks for your input everyone......and Keith, am I to take away from this that you are NOT fond of Summit. ;)

Some guys in out club like to make the Griffon Spit. I get onion and garlic, they said they don't.

Might be like Simcoe - the wife gets cat pee, I get pine and fruit.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:48 am »
The one I always think of is Green Flash IPA.  I've definitely gotten onion/garlic notes from that, as well as the tangerine.

Green Flash IPA is mostly columbus, simcoe, and amarillo (I had one two last night at a matter of fact). Not as good in the bottle as on draft.  More pine and fruit on draft.  More garlic and onion in the bottle :( The Green Flash IIPA uses summit, but I don't get as much garlic or onion as I thought I should.  Stone quit using summit do to the BO factor :P  I know Nathan Smith likes summit and uses it in his North Oakland and Dankness IPAs with good success.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »
I'm gearing up to brew sometime next week.  I think I'll use some Summit to verify my impressions.  Maybe even do Griffin Spit.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
This is an interesting situation.....opposing viewpoints from two people I hugely respect.

You must be confused.  Like I said, Denny and I agree on everything.  ;)
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »
How convenient that today was 10% off day for me at Austin Homebrew supply :) I'm doing a series of 1 gallon single hop pale ales next month. Looks like I'll be adding Summit to the list.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe help please
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:47 pm »
Gubna is the primary one I detest with Summit. That new Deviant Dale's is another - if it doesn't have summit in that beer that someone stuck their (censored) in it. Nasty!

I'm not a huge fan of the Oskar Blues beers anyway, but the Gubna is truly wretchable in my book. BLECK!!!!

If Green Flash IPA has summit in it it is very restrained because I taste centennial mostly in that one, maybe amarillo, too.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:13:06 pm by majorvices »

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »
Both.  One of my all time favorite recipes is a past Big Brew recipe called "Griffin Spit" (it's in the wiki).  Uses all Summit hops, all at 20 min. or less.  Wonderful tangerine aroma/flavor.

I, too, like Summit. I used it in an amber with hallertau mittelfrueh and loved the tangerine flavor. No hint of stinky feet.
Intra cervisiam est deus.