Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe help please  (Read 15541 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Recipe help please
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:35:53 am »
I will be brewing 25 gals of beer for an event. Ingredients provided are Gambrinus Pale malt, whatever specialty ingredients I want in reasonable quantities, and the following hops...Kent Golding, Summit and Glacier. American Ale Yeast or London Ale Yeast.

Another person has already committed to brewing an English style bitter for this event, so it needs to be different.

I have never used Summit hops. I've read a lot of negative comments from folks about them. The person providing the ingredients uses a fair amount of Summit and I'm not in love with many of his beers.

I'd love some thoughts on what some of you would brew constrained to these two yeasts and 3 hops varieties...

Thanks.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Recipe help please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:36 am »
If it were me I'd go English IPA using the Summit for bittering and the Glacier and EKG's for flavor/aroma.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:03 am »
If it were me I'd go English IPA using the Summit for bittering and the Glacier and EKG's for flavor/aroma.

Oops, forgot to mention...no IPA, Cream Ale or Porter is to be made as those will be supplied by a comm'l brewer.
Thanks for your input though, that would have been my first choice too.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »
roast some of the pale malt, or get some roast malt, use just enough of the summit to bitter a little and the other hops near the end.  shoot for medium to dark amber, lower ibu and use the london yeast and  i think you could get somewhere along the profile of a scottish, but with a more pronounced ending hop flavor, aroma.  something kind of unique and not provided by anyone else
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »
FWIW, I love Summit hops!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

Bitter and/or aroma?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »
roast some of the pale malt, or get some roast malt, use just enough of the summit to bitter a little and the other hops near the end.  shoot for medium to dark amber, lower ibu and use the london yeast and  i think you could get somewhere along the profile of a scottish, but with a more pronounced ending hop flavor, aroma.  something kind of unique and not provided by anyone else

Good thinking Don....I was sort of pondering the possibility of a N. Eng. Brown too.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »

Bitter and/or aroma?

Both.  One of my all time favorite recipes is a past Big Brew recipe called "Griffin Spit" (it's in the wiki).  Uses all Summit hops, all at 20 min. or less.  Wonderful tangerine aroma/flavor.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:58:07 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »

Bitter and/or aroma?

Both.  One of my all time favorite recipes is a past Big Brew recipe called "Griffin Spit" (it's in the wiki).  Uses all Summit hops, all at 20 min. or less.  Wonderful tangerine aroma/flavor.

Hmmm. Thanks Denny.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:58:26 am by denny »
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe help please
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
FWIW I hate summit hops. I have never had a beer made with them that I could enjoy. Total personal preference. I know folks who love them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:21:48 pm by majorvices »

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:50:42 pm »
FWIW I hate summit hops. I have never had a beer made with them that I could enjoy. Total personal preference. I know folks who love them.

I haven't used them, but when I have had beers that do, I also have not liked them. I'm wondering if the objectionable flavors are a result of long boil times. Maybe the Griffin Spit would work because of the later additions. I'm thinking an experiment would be in order, but I'm not sure I want to put my name on a 25 gal.batch that I'm experimenting with. Might just try a small batch with some and see what happens. I've got time.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe help please
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 06:24:52 am »
I haven't used them either, 'cause the suck!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 07:28:41 am »
Take the summit hops, then resell them to someone who likes garlic and cabbage and use the money to buy something you'd like to use.  Seriously.  Unless you like beer that tastes like feet, stay away from them.

I'd get some light Munich, and make an American Pale Ale with 90% pale, 10% munich, and featuring the glacier hops in a FWH & hop burst method.  Either yeast would work with that.  If you saw my talk at the NHC, use that recipe but swap glacier for galaxy.  Since there will be an IPA and a cream ale, go middle of the road with the pale ale so you have something for people who want something more bitter than a cream ale but less hoppy and/or alcoholic than an IPA.  Shoot for a 5% ABV beer, tops.  Maybe 35 IBUs.  If it's not different enough, add some medium crystal malts, lower the IBUs, and make an American Amber.

I like the English brown idea; Dark Mild would be good as well, as long as it was different enough from the commercial porter.  You might see what kind of character that has and stay away from similar flavors.  For example, if they're making a hoppy porter, you can make a malty brown and still be distinctly different.

An alternative would be an Irish Red-type beer.  Yes, you can use the English yeast for that.

In picking styles, I'd say you are more constrained by what has already been selected than by the ingredients.  I wouldn't want to make me-too beers when a spot in the style space has already been taken.  Shoot for something different.

You didn't say what kind of event; without knowing the crowd, it's hard to say what beers to make.  Don't want to go too aggressive/unusual for the masses.  In general, keep things flavorful and drinkable without going too high on the ABV.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:00:01 am »
Ya know, I keep hearing about how bad Summit hops are and the onion/garlic thing, and I've even tasted it in some beers.  But I get a great tangerine flavor and aroma from them.  Maybe I got a good batch.....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:58 am »
Unless you like beer that tastes like feet, stay away from them.

No wonder you write the style guidelines. :)