Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% Wheat Malt  (Read 13289 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
100% Wheat Malt
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a 100% wheat malt beer (plus rice hulls).  Not sure why, just think it would be something to try.  I'm sure others have done this so what do you think.  Is it worth considering?  Just re-read Brewing with Wheat and it's got me thinking of upping my wheat proportion in my American Wheat beers in general (50/50 right now) but I'm wondering what all wheat would be like. 

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: 100% Wheat Malt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
I say go for it try a 2.5 gallon batch and see if you like it.  I am currently
enjoying Low Gap a whiskey made from 100% wheat malt and man it is unaged
and delicious.   Next round of low gap is going to be a different grain according
to the website. I can't wait for the rye.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:36 am »
The Graetzer I made was 100% wheat malt beer.  Did a long protein rest - an hour -  at 122F, then an hour at 150F. 10% rice hulls resulted in no lautering problems.

Wheat will give the beer some extra body, a white bread taste, and will clear up with time after the protein rest. 

I recommend trying a 100% wheat beer. If nothing else you can say you did it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:07 am »
Long time reader/lurker, and first time poster.

Thought I'd chime in and say that I have tried 100% wheat, and its one of my best drinkers. I used 100% red wheat, and Kellerweiss that I cultured from the bottle. I do BIAB so I didn't need the rice hulls. The taste is a little different than with a portion of barley (at least in mine) in the sense that the beer is much richer. I'm not sure why, but process wise I seem to get slightly less (from normal 75% down to 70%) efficiency with this brew. But, I don't know if that is common with large wheat bills or just my own quirk. I really love the rich taste of the beer though. Definitely try it if you like.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »
Thought I'd chime in and say that I have tried 100% wheat, and its one of my best drinkers. I used 100% red wheat, and Kellerweiss that I cultured from the bottle. I do BIAB so I didn't need the rice hulls. The taste is a little different than with a portion of barley (at least in mine) in the sense that the beer is much richer. I'm not sure why, but process wise I seem to get slightly less (from normal 75% down to 70%) efficiency with this brew. But, I don't know if that is common with large wheat bills or just my own quirk. I really love the rich taste of the beer though. Definitely try it if you like.
I thought there was not enough enzymes in wheat to get conversion. which is why you add some barley, a handful of 6-row even, not so much for flavor but for diastatic power. did it attenuate well? What was your OG-FG/ABV?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
I thought there was not enough enzymes in wheat to get conversion. which is why you add some barley, a handful of 6-row even, not so much for flavor but for diastatic power. did it attenuate well? What was your OG-FG/ABV?

This may have been the case at some point but the wheat malt you get today has plenty of enzymes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »
According to Briess' web site, their wheat malt (white or red) has a DP of 160-180.  You can get full conversion with a DP of around 40 (typical of Munich malts).  So wheat malt can definitely self-convert, and it can also take care of some of those unmalted grains as well.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
The more I learn, the dumber I feel. Thanks you guys!
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 02:39:49 pm »
Wheat definitely has enough to convert and then some as Gordon points out.

Checking my notes--it was 1.040 O.G. or about 10 P. I made this as a session beer, mashed at 150 F. Kellerweiss took it down to 1.008 or 2.1 P in about 10 days.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »
Weyerman wheat is a little less, but still has plenty of enzymes. It is 250WK, and that equals 76 Lintner, more than enough. My Graetzer used Weyermann wheat that I smoked, it converted and fermented out just fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »
Weyerman wheat is a little less, but still has plenty of enzymes. It is 250WK, and that equals 76 Lintner, more than enough. My Graetzer used Weyermann wheat that I smoked, it converted and fermented out just fine.

Spot on...Weyermann is what I use as well.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
I'll be using OIO Canadian Wheat malt but after today's P.I.T.A. lauter, I'm not sure.
Did a "blond" for an event with 14 lbs 2-row, 2 lbs wheat and 2 lbs corn (10 gal batch) and it stuck badly for some reason.  Part of the problem is likely that I've got my mill set too tight but I really like the high efficiency I'm getting with a fine grind.  I think the flaked corn also really compounded problem but the event is at a corn seed company so it sort of had to be in there.

Jeff did you need rice hulls and if so, how much for your gratzer?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »
I'll be using OIO Canadian Wheat malt but after today's P.I.T.A. lauter, I'm not sure.
Did a "blond" for an event with 14 lbs 2-row, 2 lbs wheat and 2 lbs corn (10 gal batch) and it stuck badly for some reason.  Part of the problem is likely that I've got my mill set too tight but I really like the high efficiency I'm getting with a fine grind.  I think the flaked corn also really compounded problem but the event is at a corn seed company so it sort of had to be in there.

Added 10% of the wheat malt total. 20 Lbs wheat, added 2 lbs rice hulls for a 10 gallon batch. Did the long protein rest at 122F, no problem with lautering.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »

Added 10% of the wheat malt total. 20 Lbs wheat, added 2 lbs rice hulls for a 10 gallon batch. Did the long protein rest at 122F, no problem with lautering.

I used my very scientific method of a couple of big handfuls for my 3-gallon batch of Gratzer. I had no problems with the lautering. Also, my Gratzer has been been really hitting the spot in this hot weather.
Kyle M.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »

I used my very scientific method of a couple of big handfuls for my 3-gallon batch of Gratzer. I had no problems with the lautering. Also, my Gratzer has been been really hitting the spot in this hot weather.

How big are your hands?