Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repairing cooler mash tun  (Read 7631 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Repairing cooler mash tun
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »
My cylindirical cooler mash tun has developed two cracks on the inside and I melted some of the ouside.  The result, I have a leak.  Any thoughts about the best way to fix this?  Should I use water weld by J-B weld?

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Repairing cooler mash tun
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »
The specs for Waterweld look like it will hold up to the environment you will be using it in.  My concern is that HDPE does not always take well to adhesives and because of this the differing coefficients of thermal expansion between the HDPE and Waterweld may cause it to start leaking again after you have it repaired.  If the stuff is fairly inexpensive, it is worth a try.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »
My cylindirical cooler mash tun has developed two cracks on the inside and I melted some of the ouside.  The result, I have a leak.  Any thoughts about the best way to fix this?  Should I use water weld by J-B weld?

Food grade? Probably not. If you just patch the outside the interior bulkhead will get wort trapped behind it. Damaged equipment. Time to pony up for a new tun. It's allright. I once burnt through the bottom of a cooler with a heatstick.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:27 am »
This gives you the chance to get a rectangular cooler!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

Food grade? Probably not. If you just patch the outside the interior bulkhead will get wort trapped behind it. Damaged equipment. Time to pony up for a new tun. It's allright. I once burnt through the bottom of a cooler with a heatstick.

It does say it is approved for potable water and resistant to 300 degrees - though that does not mean it will make good beer. It just won't kill you.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »
Throw it away and get a new one.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »
I bought J-B weld and a 50-quart rectangular cooler with a drain port below the bottom of the floor.  I hope to patch it from the inside and get one more batch from the cylindrical cooler while I get the 50-quart set up.   The cylindrical cooler may get some use for controlling fermentation temps in the winter.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29:40 am »
Man I'd avoid that JB weld. It would be better to wait and brew on your new cooler (hopefully you bought a blue one). Probably only take a few minutes to convert your new mash tun over. You might be able to just slip the tubing right through the drain itself. I do that with mine and it fit's just snug enough to not leak. Then I attach a ball-valve to the tubing outlet and the braid to the inlet with a small hose clamp.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:32:26 pm »
This gives you the chance to get a rectangular cooler!  :)
and.....make sure it's Blue ;)
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:51:03 pm »
I have joined the cult of the blue cooler.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:39:01 pm »
You guys are weird about the blue cooler. My red one has a nifty measuring thingy on the lid to tell me how big my mash is.  8)

+1 to not using JB Weld...  New cooler is the way to go. No telling what influence that stuff will have on your beer, if any. But you'll want to replace the thing anyway.

Buy a yellow one, just to upset all of the "blue cooler crowd"
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:27:46 am »
A blue cooler guarantees that you get 137% efficiency.   ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:20:45 am »
I have joined the cult of the blue cooler.
You made the right choice.  Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to try and repair some things. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:19 am »

Wow
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:09 am »

Wow

Yeah...it's so efficient that you actually gain grain!  After 10 brews, a 55 lb. sack magically appears in your garage!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com