Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making a mash tun  (Read 7206 times)

Offline 1stnspc

• 1st Kit
Making a mash tun
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi all, I'm currently working on making a mash tun. I'm using a 52 qt. coleman extreme cooler and have made a manifold out of cpvc. Here's where I hope I don't lose anyone: from the manifold, I'm using a connector that is 1/2 cpvc and 1/2 brass. From there, I'm connecting to a 2" long nipple that goes through the cooler wall and then connects to a ball valve. The nipple is going through the washer that originally came with the cooler that was on the inside. I gave it a dry (or would it be wet?) run and found that water is leaking through the drain hole of the cooler. Can cpvc cement be used to glue/seal the washer to the inside of the cooler wall? Or is there another solution to seal the hole around the rubber washer?

Thanks for the help!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Making a mash tun
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:16 pm »
Don't think cpvc glue is the most effective sealant on HDPE. I'd use either silicone caulk or a silicone washer such as the 1/2" gasket on this site:

http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop2.html

Just brew it...

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »
I would suggest getting a shorter nipple, and a coupling.  This way, when you tighten up the coupling it will draw the gasket and the 1/2 cpvc and brass fitting tight to the inside wall of the cooler.  This should make it water tight.

As a disclaimer, I have personally never built a mash tun, but if I'm understanding your problem, this should fix it.
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »
Uh Oh!

I guess I didn't understand that you hadn't created a "compression seal" through the cooler wall. mr_jeffers is correct . . without clamping the fittings in place first, it's gonna be tough to ever create a leak proof connection. The site I referenced in the last post should be able to get you headed in the right direction.
Just brew it...

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:19:23 am »
Shorter nipple, or add some washers.  You can use regular zinc coated fender washers on the OUTSIDE.  If you find you need to add one to the inside you should use stainless steel which can sometimes be trickier to find with the correct ID.
Dave Brush

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:29:29 am »
And if you can't get a complete seal with compression aquarium sealant might do the trick.
Joe

Offline 1stnspc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:22:22 pm »
You know, after I posted I thought that maybe a shorter nipple would do the trick, but didn't think of  a coupling. I was actually looking at some aquarium forums and they mentioned the aquarium adhesive. My concern was if it was food grade. From looking around, I saw that there is some national standard about cement that is food grade, which the cpvc cement is approved for. I was just concerned about it withstanding 170-180 degree water. I'll try the compression way first and see how I do. Thanks for the assistance everyone!!!

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:05 pm »
Thanks for the assistance everyone!!!

Just glad to be of some help for a change   ;D
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:36:05 am »
I'm assuming you're fly-sparging to need a manifold?

If it has the same drain as the 70qt a piece of vinyl tubing 1/2" OD simply slides in and through and fits snug. No leaks. No hassle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
I have found that a grommet on a large washer or an o ring on the nipple against the wall of the cooler works best for me. I have made several (5) of this style with no lingering issues. I find that water will leak but once the mash is set no leaks are evident.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »
Teflon tape makes a good seal in a situation like this. I just keep wrapping the fitting until I have a big enough wad to seal up any holes. I've used it for packing in-place of the sleeve in a 1/4" compression fitting for a 1/8" thermometer stem.

But if you can get the fittings so they squeeze tighter on the hole through the wall of the cooler, less chance of it working loose over time. I have the pipe fitting screwing right into the valve on the outside of the cooler on mine.
Bob
Bob