Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Labeling bottles  (Read 12486 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Labeling bottles
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:38 am »
For real labels, I use Microsoft Publisher.  After I print them out I attach them using a glue stick.  The glue is water soluble so they come off easily when the bottles are empty.  For down and dirty beer ID I just write the batch number on the cap with a Sharpie.
Do you just use like a card stock or some other paper.  I am not planning on a big production here but for some of the big beers that will be around longer or given as gifts I think it would be neat to design a nice label.  Not to mention the fun of coming up with names and descriptions.

Mostly I just use regular inkjet paper.  For special labels I use lightweight photo paper.  Here's one of the labels I've done...don't laugh, Keith, I'm no graphic designer!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
I use Avery 3*4 inch labels (6 / sheet) and print on a color laser printer. Inkjet works too, but condensation will cause the ink to run and soaking will render them unreadable. Laser toner is waterproof. If I'm being cheap I'll use 2*2 5/8 inch lables (15 / sheet).  The only problem with these labels is that they will wrinkle and occasionally come off if put in a cooler of ice, but that also means they are easily removed. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 07:31:32 am »
For a special batch, or gifts I've used http://www.grogtag.com/
twice now. Very happy with the results.

They have some great templates, and you can use your own artwork or photos. Labels are vinyl and reusable. 
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:31:19 am »
I also use the Avery address labels.  They are cheap and easy to print.  They will run when I use my inkjet printer but most of the time the bottles are in a fridge and that is not a problem.  If I put them on ice, I just mark the caps with the beer initials so I know what I am handing out.  If I had any artistic/graphics skills, then real labels would be fun.
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »
I do like Denny but use a combination of MS Word and Publisher and print on a laser printer. All my labels are square or rectangular so I can cut them with a paper cuter. I usually print out 4 or 6 to a sheet.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »
GrogTag has a online tool that you can use to layout your label, either using one of their templates or from scratch.  They also have a 15% off promo going on right now... http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/10/grogtag-new-fall-beer-label-templates.html

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:04 am »
I usually use the sharpie on the cap method for my regular everyday beer.  For labels for gift beers, I make them pretty much as mentioned above. I was using pregummed labels, and they worked great, but I will probably switch to paper with a glue stick for this next batch.   One thing I started doing is after they are printed I spray them with a clear coat to keep the ink from running when they get wet.  It may not work if the bottles are put in an ice bath, but it helps keep them from running if they get wet from the pour.
Mark

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:26 am »
Since I hate having to remove the labels to re-use the bottles I use the Avery 3/4" round dot labels and just place them on the bottle cap. They are small but I can fit the name, brew date, bottle date and ABV% and since you pop the cap when you pour all you have to do is rinse the bottle out and re-use it when ready. Super easy and super cheap!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:05 am »
I've used the pre-gummed labels and also regular paper.

Rather than a glue stick, you can also use a small amount of milk.  Wet the back of the label with milk, stick it to the bottle.  Dries like glue, doesn't smell rancid.

Both the pre-gummed and the milk-glue will come off when wet.  So, if you put them in a cooler of ice you'll wind up with the same problem of not knowing which is which.

As for ink, I've found that HP ink jet ink will run when wet.  Epson ink jet ink will not.  For this reason, I have not junked my old Epson printer, although the jets do not give great resolution any longer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 09:38:44 am »
I've used the pre-gummed labels and also regular paper.

Rather than a glue stick, you can also use a small amount of milk.  Wet the back of the label with milk, stick it to the bottle.  Dries like glue, doesn't smell rancid.

Both the pre-gummed and the milk-glue will come off when wet.  So, if you put them in a cooler of ice you'll wind up with the same problem of not knowing which is which.

As for ink, I've found that HP ink jet ink will run when wet.  Epson ink jet ink will not.  For this reason, I have not junked my old Epson printer, although the jets do not give great resolution any longer.

Labels I've attached with a glue stick fall right off when run under hot water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wactuary

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Labeling bottles
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:59 am »

+1 on the milk glue. Took me years to try for fear of rancid smell and a general disbelief it would work. It is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way I've found.

But my beer is usually in the fridge and not in an ice bath.

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
I've been doing laser-printed paper and milk lately. Seems to work OK, but because I'm lactose-intolerant, milk isn't something I typically have around. I may go the opposite direction and use a glue stick next time.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 11:50:57 am »
I recently made labels for beer at a wedding. I used the Elmers spray glue. I works great. The really good thing about it is the fact that you get a nice even coat and can really nail down those corners well.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline gauzzastrip

• 1st Kit
    • BrewShuffle.com - Share your home brew
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 07:41:11 am »
I use the milk method as well.  I just wanted to add to use skim milk because it will not have any fat in it, so it wont start to smell rancid.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:38 am »
I use the milk method as well.  I just wanted to add to use skim milk because it will not have any fat in it, so it wont start to smell rancid.

IMO, this may be the only thing skim milk is good for.  I only have whole milk in the house and have not had rancid smells.  But I don't sniff the bottles frequently.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton