Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Labeling bottles  (Read 12483 times)

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
Labeling bottles
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:20 am »
For those that bottle, how do you label your brews.  I am starting to get several different brews and they all look the same in those plain brown bottles.:P  Right now I am just using location to identify them.  I would like to design my own labels because I am an art guy and have graphic design knowledge.  So what do you do?
Mike

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Labeling bottles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:57:48 am »
Well, I am definitely not an art guy, so my labeling consists of a Sharpie on the cap. I number my batches, so I just write that on the cap.
Mark Gres

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:16:54 pm »
I use Avery round colored labels on the caps. I have the label template saved on my computer and I print the name of the beer on the labels. One color per batch. Makes them easy to identify at a glance.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:25 pm »
I use Avery round colored labels on the caps. I have the label template saved on my computer and I print the name of the beer on the labels. One color per batch. Makes them easy to identify at a glance.
This is a great idea. Do these labels peel off easily?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:39:39 pm »
This is a great idea. Do these labels peel off easily?
Doesn't matter does it?  They are on the caps if I am understanding and will be thrown away.
Mike

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »

+1 but I stick with the white ones, I have more color options that way.  I use the 3/4" labels, 24 on a 4"x6" sheet.  I using 8 point font I can fit four lines on there, batch #, name, date, and abv.  They do peel off okay if you're looking to then submit a couple of bottles to competition.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
For real labels, I use Microsoft Publisher.  After I print them out I attach them using a glue stick.  The glue is water soluble so they come off easily when the bottles are empty.  For down and dirty beer ID I just write the batch number on the cap with a Sharpie.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Re: Labeling bottles
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »
For real labels, I use Microsoft Publisher.  After I print them out I attach them using a glue stick.  The glue is water soluble so they come off easily when the bottles are empty.  For down and dirty beer ID I just write the batch number on the cap with a Sharpie.
Do you just use like a card stock or some other paper.  I am not planning on a big production here but for some of the big beers that will be around longer or given as gifts I think it would be neat to design a nice label.  Not to mention the fun of coming up with names and descriptions.
Mike

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 01:38:10 pm »

[/quote]

+1 but I stick with the white ones, I have more color options that way.  I use the 3/4" labels, 24 on a 4"x6" sheet.  I using 8 point font I can fit four lines on there, batch #, name, date, and abv.  They do peel off okay if you're looking to then submit a couple of bottles to competition.
[/quote]

i use the avery 1"x2 5/8' address white labels. it allows me to put the name/batch number, ibu, srm,  av and date bottled.
the labels come pretty easy after soak in hot water or PBW
i have yet to do a "fancy" label, but i think i will start that in the future for gifts.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »
I use these on the caps, and edit the template in Open Office.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL5275CX.htm?search=ol5275cx&st=s

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »
Do you just use like a card stock or some other paper.  I am not planning on a big production here but for some of the big beers that will be around longer or given as gifts I think it would be neat to design a nice label.  Not to mention the fun of coming up with names and descriptions.
For keepers and gifts I do the same as denny, for gifts I use nice resume paper.something with a high rag content and texture so they feel nice in you hand as well. You can buy label paper that is pre gummed and it goes through a laser printer well enough but it's expensive
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »
I use Photoshop Elements to create my labels. When print them out on my color laser printer using regular copy paper, then cut appriopriately. On the back of the paper I use a glue stick and put the label on the bottle. I've used different kinds of labels but found them to always be too big or small plus the added expense..
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »
For keepers and gifts I do the same as denny, for gifts I use nice resume paper.something with a high rag content and texture so they feel nice in you hand as well. You can buy label paper that is pre gummed and it goes through a laser printer well enough but it's expensive
Good to know, I have resume paper, a nice new printer and Photoshop so I am going to start designing this week.  Thanks for the info all.
Mike

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
They do peel off okay if you're looking to then submit a couple of bottles to competition.
Thanks! That's was my reasoning.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR