Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: These guys need to clean up their act  (Read 28283 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 02:44:06 pm »
Should be F.O.A.D Brewing Company, to reference the mighty Darkthrone.  Meaning, they should say that to the homebrew shop owner and that smarmy lawyer.
Jesse

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 10:50:33 am »
I frankly don't see how anyone would confuse the two businesses, and the dickhead with the homebrew shop would be better served to try and carry the brewery's product and not fight with them about a name that is only similar, not even the same. He'll never win in court anyway as the names are simply not the same, and there is no intent by the brewery to copy any part of that homebrew business.

It's not like the guy is calling his place "Mc Donald's Hamburgers" and putting a clown and golden arches on his building!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:10 am »
It's not like the guy is calling his place "Mc Donald's Hamburgers" and putting a clown and golden arches on his building!
Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 03:25:44 am »
I frankly don't see how anyone would confuse the two businesses, and the dickhead with the homebrew shop would be better served to try and carry the brewery's product and not fight with them about a name that is only similar, not even the same. He'll never win in court anyway as the names are simply not the same, and there is no intent by the brewery to copy any part of that homebrew business.

Did you happen to read the response from the homebrew shop? One shouldn't be so quick to call people names, especially without understanding the situation, let alone being involved.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:36 am »
Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
This is exactly the first thing that popped in my mind when I read that line in his post  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:49 am »
This is exactly the first thing that popped in my mind when I read that line in his post  ;D
Me too. I almost posted the same thing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:53:18 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2012, 07:41:07 am »
Hahaha! Great movie! When you think of garbage, you think of Akeem!
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2012, 07:53:14 am »
I just can't get worked up about this issue.  Really.  Oh well.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:07 am »
Hahaha! Great movie! When you think of garbage, you think of Akeem!
I think it is Murphy's greatest work - I can never resist watching it when it comes on. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »
Yes, that and Trading Places.  Both great movies.
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2013, 12:06:06 pm »
Poke a dog with a stick and you might get bit.  Serves the HBS right, even if they ultimately succeed in defending their ill-gotten TM.  Harmless use of a name that neither came up with as their own unique development should prevent the HBS from prevailing here IMO.  TM law may say otherwise as previously noted by others.  However, at times, the best defense is an offense, eh?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:52 pm »
Makes me want to rethink my plan of opening a bar called Cheers

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline Roger Burns

• 1st Kit
  • Just call me Jack.... of all trades
    • Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2013, 07:17:24 am »
Might have been mentioned before, so I apologize if it was, but this reminds me of the Nissan.com battle. Nissan is the family name of the owner if a small computer repair service that has been battling Nissan motor company for rights to the domain and name in a battle going back 14 years. The details are at Nissan.com if you are interested.

I'm not a lawyer, and would hate to be in the position of either party. I do not see a clear right and wrong here, though many do. I guess it's for the courts to decide now, but its a shame it came to this.
Roger Burns
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
American Homebrewers Association: 155297
[3.9, 125.7] Apparent Rennerian

Offline Roger Burns

• 1st Kit
  • Just call me Jack.... of all trades
    • Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:46 am »
Ok. After retreading the background, maybe not like Nissan. In that story a small owner is being bullied by a large company for something they want.

In this story, both parties are small, and wrongness (at least morally) appears on both sides. Guess we will see.

As far as renaming, how about Stranger Than Fiction Brewing.  Since its unlikely the movie tm would overlap...
Roger Burns
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
American Homebrewers Association: 155297
[3.9, 125.7] Apparent Rennerian