Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any hunters here?  (Read 8955 times)

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Any hunters here?
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:12:59 pm »
My deer season ended yesterday with a 205 pound 8 point whitetail buck. Anyone else do any good. Brewing Big Buck Old Ale tomorrow!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Any hunters here?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
Not a hunter,but you got a good one.

Deer season is a holiday for some in Michigan.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »
Great score!  I've never been hunting but my friends have asked me to go with them.  I'll take them up on it one year, but I think I'll have to find this sign first:

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:53 pm »
Great score!  I've never been hunting but my friends have asked me to go with them.  I'll take them up on it one year, but I think I'll have to find this sign first:

That is legal in Michigan. The hunters have had to switch to other things like sugar beers beets as corn is too expensive.

The deer population is out of hand here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:50:56 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:15 am »
I don't hunt either, but I sure love some venison.  That's a big deer stlaleman, well done!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Any hunters here?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:41:40 am »
I used to hunt growing up in VT.  This was back in the day when I'd get home from school and walk thru town into the woods carrying my 30-30, past an elementary school.  Boy times have changed.

I stopped hunting when I moved to NY in the early '90's, where you carry a gun for a totally different reason.  When I moved to NH, I just never hot back into it.

Luckily most of my family in VT still hunts so I have a supplier of venison, turkey, and they even got a moose this year.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:13 am »
Nice buck!   I hunt every year here in Colorado.  This season I got a nice cow elk and will go antelope hunting in about 3 weeks.  I hunt elk in the first elk-only season so I don't do much mule deer hunting now.  The rancher where I antelope hunt has 60 sq miles!  Been going there for 15 years and always get an antelope.
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
Elk is very good eating! Someday, I'll head west to hunt antelope!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:12 pm »
Nice.  Work has prevented me from hunting for the past few years but I think a crossbow is in my very near future.  We have so many deer around here that it's crazy.  Farmers want you to take as many as you can cause they are doing major crop damage.
More likely I'll hit one with my truck though....

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »
I don't hunt but Mrs. Weaze does. In fact, I just bought her a new Savage 270. She didn't actually shoot anything this year, but did manage to tag a nice roadkill. So, we have some nice steaks, roasts, 30# of sausage, and 30# of jerky.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
I don't hunt but Mrs. Weaze does. In fact, I just bought her a new Savage 270. She didn't actually shoot anything this year, but did manage to tag a nice roadkill. So, we have some nice steaks, roasts, 30# of sausage, and 30# of jerky.
That's a nice gun, I use a Savage 110 in 308. Its dropped every deer I've shot at.

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »
If anyone ever needs to come to Colorado for hunting season, let me know.  Most everything, deer, elk, antelope is drawing only for the most part.  Out of state tags are expensive also.  But let me know and we can maybe hook up.
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Any hunters here?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »
I live on 7 acres of mountain land that is surrounded by thousands of acres of wilderness which encompasses a hunting club. Damn hunters rumbling their pick up trucks and running their damned four wheelers all over my mountain and throwing their bud light beer cans all over the mountain and ruining perfectly good hiking weather. I f'ing HATE hunting season.

I do let my neighbor tag me a doe for my freezer every year. But it's not worth the three months of hunting season by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I think we should make hunting season July and August and let the damn hunters deal with ticks and chiggers and mosquitos and rattlesnakes rather than giving them the best time of the year to go out in the woods just to sit in a damned tree stand.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:37:37 pm by majorvices »

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 05:52:21 pm »
I live on 7 acres of mountain land that is surrounded by thousands of acres of wilderness which encompasses a hunting club. Damn hunters rumbling their pick up trucks and running their damned four wheelers all over my mountain and throwing their bud light beer cans all over the mountain and ruining perfectly good hiking weather. I f'ing HATE hunting season.

I do let my neighbor tag me a doe for my freezer every year. But it's not worth the three months of hunting season by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I think we should make hunting season July and August and let the damn hunters deal with ticks and chiggers and mosquitos and rattlesnakes rather than giving them the best time of the year to go out in the woods just to sit in a damned tree stand.
Seems you are a bit bitter.....if it truly is wilderness then any vehicular traffic would be outlawed. Maybe if you joined in you would enjoy it more.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Any hunters here?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »
Bitter? Yeah, I f'ing hate hunting season. ;)

Used to hunt, I don't find sitting in a tree stand freezing my ass off very enjoyable, personally. Have a lot of friends who do it.*

Oh, and it truly is wilderness and I don't know where you are from but there aren't those kind of laws in Alabama.

* I should probably point out, I only really hate the hunters that throw their beer cans all over the place. The other ones I just mildly disrespect. ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:01:39 pm by majorvices »