Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tart cherry juice concentrate  (Read 17399 times)

Offline tdall

• 1st Kit
Tart cherry juice concentrate
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:24:05 am »
My wife has started taking tart cherry juice for joint pain.  I have tasted it and think it might be a great cherry flavoring to brew something similar to Founders Cerise, which she loves.  Anyone have an all-grain recipe that successfully uses tart cherry juice concentrate?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Tart cherry juice concentrate
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:22 am »
I added a quart to 5gal of hard cider and liked it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:13 am »
Do you have a link to the juice she is using?

I usually use the whole fruit and not just juice.  I've made a mead and a Flanders red using it.  I'm interested in trying the concentrate though, since the season for the fruit is not that long.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »
This is what I used.
http://www.kingorchards.com/store.htm?category=Cherry%20Juice%20Concentrate

I found it locally in Delaware, so they do distribute. A few places online sell it too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »
I have used it mead to flavor and back sweeten once the mead was stabilized.

It does have some tartness, and a lot of sugar. Would be an interesting experiment.

Edit - I do use it for the joints, it does seem to help my knees if I drink it everyday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
I imagine that concentrate has sugar added, but I can't find any label info (other than nutritional) on the website.  I don't suppose you have a bottle laying around?

I think I might want large quantities than 1 qt though.  I'm thinking a bucket ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »
I imagine that concentrate has sugar added, but I can't find any label info (other than nutritional) on the website.  I don't suppose you have a bottle laying around?

I think I might want large quantities than 1 qt though.  I'm thinking a bucket ;D

Tom,

There is a company over here that makes their own concentrate.  I've used it in one beer before, but never having used another concentrate I'm not sure how it compares.  Though it is a bit cheaper (in bulk) and being in state shipping should be cheaper.  When I talked to the farm owner at the market it never occurred to me to ask about getting buckets/drums of it.

http://www.tasteatreat.com/products.src?PID=5

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:02:58 am »
I don't have the bottle, but the only reason I shelled out $20 for a quart was because it only listed cherry juice in the ingredients.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:12:22 pm »

Tom,

There is a company over here that makes their own concentrate.  I've used it in one beer before, but never having used another concentrate I'm not sure how it compares.  Though it is a bit cheaper (in bulk) and being in state shipping should be cheaper.  When I talked to the farm owner at the market it never occurred to me to ask about getting buckets/drums of it.

http://www.tasteatreat.com/products.src?PID=5
Awesome, thanks.  Local sounds great.  I got my fresh cherries from Tonnemaker Hill Farm this past year, and I'll probably do it again next season.  I sent an email to tasteatreat to see if they add anything, do larger quantities, and have fresh cherries in season.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:58 am »
I've used tart cherry juice with fair success. I'd say expect to use more than you think you will because the flavor will be less obvious once all the sugar in the concentrate gets eaten. So for that reason I would either look for a local source or at least something you can buy without having to pay for shipping online if you end up needing to buy more than your initial purchase.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:51 am »
Awesome, thanks.  Local sounds great.  I got my fresh cherries from Tonnemaker Hill Farm this past year, and I'll probably do it again next season.  I sent an email to tasteatreat to see if they add anything, do larger quantities, and have fresh cherries in season.
I heard back from tasteatreat.com - they don't add anything, it is just concentrated juice, larger quantities are a special order, and they have fresh cherries in season.  Great find, thanks again.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
For my kriek, I found tart cherry juice at Whole Foods.

The raw ingredient tastes AWESOME and so does the beer.

Saves on shipping if you have one near by.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »
Just had my cherry juice for the day. The bottle of concentrate had the company, which is from Michigan, and below that in the fine print "product of Turkey". They had to find the tart cherries somewhere. Now I know one of the wheres.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:45 am »
I've used cherry juice for bottle priming with good results.  I tried it out on a gallon of American Wheat.  I calculated the amount of juice I'd need my measuring the specific gravity of the juice and assumed that anything over 1.000 was fermentable sugar, then figured out how much I'd need to add to get what would be the equivalent amount of sugar I'd normally use for bottling.  It ended up adding a very nice color and a subtle cherry note in the aftertaste. 

I also had two of those bottles break on me, but I don't know if that was due to them being bottle bombs or whether they broke when moving the box around that I use to sequester bottles while being conditioned.  To be safe, I assumed they were grenades and I put the rest of the cherry-primed bottles in a cold fridge.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:35 am »
I've used cherry juice for bottle priming with good results.  I tried it out on a gallon of American Wheat.  I calculated the amount of juice I'd need my measuring the specific gravity of the juice and assumed that anything over 1.000 was fermentable sugar, then figured out how much I'd need to add to get what would be the equivalent amount of sugar I'd normally use for bottling. 
Instead of measuring the gravity, just look at the nutrition label which will tell you grams of sugar per serving. 28.35 grams = 1 oz. Divide priming sugar needed by sugar per serving to get the number of servings to add for priming.
AHA Member since 2006