Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?  (Read 6390 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
Hey all - I ferment in conicals and thus have to use bags.  Every other day I use some santized tongs to coerce the hop bags to submerge in the beer, but am I running a high risk of oxidizing? 

The reason I do it is the bags float and there are hops on the top side of the bag not getting wet if i don't flip the bag.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:41:41 am »
I also dry hop in a big nylon grain sack in my 12g Blichman conical.  I just tip the fermenter up on 2 legs and rock it a little to get the hops swished in the wort.  That obviously won't work if you are dealing with a huge fermenter.  I would not open the fermenter to prod the hop sack.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
Just brainstorming: could you weight the bag with SS nuts or marbles to sink it, but then tie a string around it and either hang it from something at the top or a float of some sort? Along the lines of using both a bobber and a sinker for fishing. At least then you could keep the hops submerged in the wort without going to the bottom of your conical.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
Just brainstorming: could you weight the bag with SS nuts or marbles to sink it, but then tie a string around it and either hang it from something at the top or a float of some sort? Along the lines of using both a bobber and a sinker for fishing. At least then you could keep the hops submerged in the wort without going to the bottom of your conical.

This^^^

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:47:00 am »
I have bought a Male Flare to screw into the swivel nut on the end of my CO2 lines. I plan to pull the airlock, stick the flare end in the stopper on the conical and flush it with CO2 like I do the corny kegs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline golddiggie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »
Just throwing this out there...

Has anyone else been simply dry hopping in serving kegs? I add the nylon mesh bag of whole hops to a keg just before it goes into the fridge to chill and then carbonate (I use the slow carbonation method, two weeks at serving pressure and temperature). I was not that pleased with the results I got from dry hopping at room/cellar temperatures. IME, it faded too fast, so that by the time I got to the end of a batch (in bottles, or keg) it was very different than at the start. With dry hopping in the serving keg, at serving temperatures, I get the same results (giving it the two weeks to infuse the finished beer) from the first pour to the last. Zero off flavors produced too.

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
Yeah been dryhopping in the keg for years - great but can get grassy/vegetal.

I prefer to leave the keg at room temp for a week and then let it chill with the hops in
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:29:19 pm »
Yeah been dryhopping in the keg for years - great but can get grassy/vegetal.

Either I don't get that from dry hopping in the keg, or I don't notice it, or I must like it.  At any rate, I've never found it to be a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »
I notice grassyness from dry-hopping with Centennial, but otherwise it seems to be fine.
I also just throw a bag into the keg and let it stay there until the keg kicks.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »
I did several batches with dry hopping in the keg and didn't like the long-term effect with its grassiness.  For several years, I've been doing what Paul is doing with a modest dry hop contact time at fermentation temperature.  This is in line with Brynildson's recommendations.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »
FWIW, if I'm using a lot of leaf hops for dry-hopping then I will "punch them down" with a sanitized spoon every couple of days to make sure they all get wet enough for my liking. I haven't noticed any oxidation in these beers. Using a bag may be a little different since air can get trapped in the bag and may bubble through the beer when you push it down. Do you have a way to flush with CO2 before you push the bags down? That may minimize your oxidation risk.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline neemox

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:17 am »
I dry hop in the keg with a bag, and as was previously mentioned, I use a LARGE (3"x1") Stainless machine bolt as a weight. I'm sure it would work just as well in your conicals. The first time I tried this I think I used a heavy marble pestle that happened to be in the kitchen when I needed the weight. The bolt works better.

I used to attach a piece of fishing line to the bag and run it out the top of the keg so I could pull the hops back out. I've stopped doing this as more often than not, the keg pops before I would have wanted to remove the hops.

Has anyone who dry hops in a bag noticed a difference between muslin and nylon?

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:26 am »
I have heard that some folks dry hop while a little bit of fermentation is still going on. The thought behind it is that the active yeast will absorb the oxygen. I believe that it is primarily done with pellet hops. I tried it on my last IPA and the flavor was great. Anyone else had any experience with dry hopping with active fermentation?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:00 am »
I use bags for my conical and the keg. I use the Vinnie C. schedule, 12-14 days at 60 degrees then remove the hops. I've gotten very good results with this method and without any grassy notes. If I could circulate the beer during the dryhop I could probably get away with less contact time with the beer.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
i think the answer is to just get some weights.

FWIW, I do put the dryhops in when I get to about 1.014-1.018 or so, as per Matt Brynildson's advice - seems like a good idea.