Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What was the best homebrew beer you ever made?  (Read 11111 times)

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
What was the best homebrew beer you ever made?
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
Hello all!

Before I get into a bit of a story here. I want to know: What was the best homebrew beer you have ever made and why!?

I have brewed approximately 40 batch of homebrew and I am on a quest to replicate the best homebrew I ever made. I think mine has a lot to do with personal taste but it was Patersbier all grain kit from NB. This is funny because I dont really care for belgians. But this beer didnt have that phenolic flavor.

I just finished my brew day and this will be the 4th time I've brewed it. The first time it was awesome (the best) except not all the bottles carbed up. Second time it was way too Belgiany, third time I tried using US-05 and it was less flavorful than a Coors Light. I am a little worried this time around because my yeast packs were pretty old (May) so I made a starter, but didnt see any activity in it before I pitched. (I brew 2.5g batches so I dont usually make a starter).

Anyways wish me luck, and What is the best Homebrew you have ever made?

~CHeers!

Offline jmmcfarland

• Cellarman
Re: What was the best homebrew beer you ever made?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »
The best beer I ever made was a honey pilsner. It was a total PITA since it was my first time lagering. (Not an easy feat in AZ) But, it turned out great! I will try again this January. I am celebrating my first year of home brewing this Christmas, so hopefully many more great beers in my future.

Good luck with this next go around! What type of yeast did you use this go around?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
What was the best homebrew beer you ever made?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:29:35 pm »
The best beer I ever made is the next one....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: What was the best homebrew beer you ever made?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »
I'm still at the point where I'm mainly experimenting with recipe ideas and haven't gotten around to trying to really nail down a perfect version of any of them yet. With that said, I think my best brew yet was my Hoptoberfest that I brewed this summer. It's basically the grain bill from Jamil's Ofest recipe in BCS, but loaded with late and dry hops. I was really happy with how well the lager yeast worked in such a hoppy beer. I will definitely be exploring some hopped-up lagers this winter.

I'll drink to that! That's what keeps me so excited about this hobby.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03:44 pm »
For me it's the last one(most of the time).  The next one will be a little better.
The porter I'm drinking right now is pretty damn fantastic, the rye stout I have in the fermentor tasted excellent when I took a sample, and the Belgian strong dark ale I brewed 18 months ago and is sitting in a keg in the garages should be amazing by now.  They are all my children and I love them equally for their different talents and shortcomings.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:35 am »
I'm not sure how to gauge the "best"...I had a Weihenstaphener style lager this summer that went in less than 2 hours for a 5 gallon keg with about 8 people drinking, so that was probably my most "popular".  The best may have been Denny's Rye IPA - it didn't go as quickly, but it sure got a lot of compliments.

By the way, Thanks, Denny!  Keep up the good work and legacy.  Between you and Jamil and Gordon, I really don't have to think much on the recipe front and I can just keep dialing in the system....

;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:25 am »
My best was an extract Happy Holiday Brew kit from Midwest Supplies. I made it 2 years ago on a horrible windy and cold day. My wife and I huddled around my propane burner on a tiny patch of sidewalk on the North side of my house. My wife usually doesn't sit through an entire brew session, but she was a trooper. We had a great time talking and hoping we wouldn't run out of propane. We finished the brew with only about a pound in the tank. The beer wasn't the best tasting I've ever made, but it was the best experience. I still have 10 bottles left of that beer and so far they're still very good. It's not always about the final product, but how you get there.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:15 am »
I can't decide because of my beer ADD condition...
Dan Chisholm

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:33:21 am »
I can honestly say most of the time the best brew I ever made is the last one I brewed.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:36:00 am »
mine has to be a doppelbock that i triple decocted. i found a bottle tucked away that i had forgot about . it was about a year old and i would put it up against any commercial dopelbock. but damn its all gone now.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 08:51:34 am »
5 gallons of american barleywine, extract and grains, from AHS.  i havent tried to duplicate with all grain yet.  i was such a good aroma and taste.  drank my last bottle last year.  best beer i made/created recipe was a belgian trippel.  dont keep good notes so i cant tell you exactly why but it still sticks out in my mind.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:31 am »
I made am Imperial Oatmeal Stout with Icelandic grains... And wow, what flavor! Unfortunately, the trip to the Iceland HBS is just a little out of range...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:59 am »
Wow guys,

These are great replies. I find it interesting that the best beers seem to be the biggest/aged.

I just tapped the keg of O'flanagain's stout I brewed. Its good, but I think it will become better with some age. Also, my Patersbier has yet to take off... I know it hasent been that long, but I would rather have a shorter lag phase. Well see!

CHeers

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 10:59:10 am »
Wow guys,

These are great replies. I find it interesting that the best beers seem to be the biggest/aged.

That used to be the way I thought, my strong Belgian is the first strong beer I've brewed in the past 3 or 4 years.  Most of my best beers are moderate ABV and ready to drink a week after hitting the keg.  It is nice to have a selection but I'm not the kind of person who likes brewing beers I can't drink for a year.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:14:45 am »
My best was an extract Happy Holiday Brew kit from Midwest Supplies. I made it 2 years ago on a horrible windy and cold day. My wife and I huddled around my propane burner on a tiny patch of sidewalk on the North side of my house. My wife usually doesn't sit through an entire brew session, but she was a trooper. We had a great time talking and hoping we wouldn't run out of propane. We finished the brew with only about a pound in the tank. The beer wasn't the best tasting I've ever made, but it was the best experience. I still have 10 bottles left of that beer and so far they're still very good. It's not always about the final product, but how you get there.

Nice story TJ.
I have been brewing for, hmmmm....lot's of years. My husband just brewed his 1st batch after being dragged to many club meetings and NHC. Guess he finally decided it would be helpful to be conversant rather than just pretend he knew what people were talking about. The beer was an experimental recipe I made up for him. Very simple, very pale ale just to test the Belma hop. The beer was very so, so.  He was sooooo excited. Even though he has an excellent palate..... for quite a while it was the best beer in the world to him!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"