Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: co2 tank filling  (Read 15552 times)

Offline dwhite55

• 1st Kit
co2 tank filling
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:59:45 pm »
Is it safe to assume that a 5 # co2 tank should weigh 5# more when full than empty?
Every time I have gotten mine filled it is less than 3 #s. Today I had it filled and it weighs 1# 14.4 oz more than when it was empty.

I questioned the guy before and he gave me some BS about it may heat up and expand so they can't fill them to 5#s.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: co2 tank filling
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:34 pm »
I fill my 10# tank up at a local fire supression place and they weigh the empty bottle and add 10 pounds. I've watched them do it. It may be a little less than 10 but it's in the ballpark.

While the gas is cold, I doubt you're loosing 4 pounds.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:16:12 am »
A 5lb tank should hold 5lbs of CO2.  The gas is under enough pressure to become a liquid.  I don't want to be harsh but he either doesn't know what he is talking about or is intentionally lying to pad his profits.   Hopefully you can find a different supplier.  I use a fire equipment company for my refills.  Look for "carbonic" suppliers in you area.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:04 am »
I questioned the guy before and he gave me some BS about it may heat up and expand so they can't fill them to 5#s.
Its like Blue Rhino only putting 15# in a 20# propane tank "for safety".  When my local guy fills my propane tank, its 20# heavier.
Sounds to me like you need to find another place to get your tank filled.  I just swap my 5# tank out at Airgas, but I have them refill the 15# tank.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:23:59 am by dak0415 »
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:25:35 am »
A 5lb tank should hold 5lbs of CO2.

+1.  That's why the call it a 5# tank :)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:06 am »
Check if you have SimplexGrinnell in your neck of the woods. They fill my tanks here in Vegas. Airgas is another place.

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:06 am »
Temperature change isn't going to affect weight/mass.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline dwhite55

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:32:42 am »
Thanks for all the input. It is exactly what I assumed. I questioned the guy this morning. he had all kinds of excuses. I have found a new supplier. He's a little further away, but for a full tank it's worth it.
Thanks again,
dwhite55

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:17:36 am »

Well, sure, maybe for non-relativistic physics ...

By the way, do places that fill CO2 bottles generally also deal with propane?  Most of the places I see for propane (gas stations, big box stores, grocery stores) all have the Blue Rhino setup and I'd like to see what other options I have.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:19:34 am »
It would affect pressure which is the real concern with a tank. But still, 2lbs in a 5lb tank would be 60% headspace - overkill. I would think a 5lb tank is certified to hold 5lbs of CO2 and still have space for expansion, but I don't know the specifics of tank certification.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:22:01 am »
By the way, do places that fill CO2 bottles generally also deal with propane?  Most of the places I see for propane (gas stations, big box stores, grocery stores) all have the Blue Rhino setup and I'd like to see what other options I have.
A compressed gas supply company might do both, but otherwise its probably one or the other. Look for places that sell propane for heating, they usually fill BBQ tanks too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
Of course, if the tank isn't completely empty when you bring it in, that may be a different story.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:04:20 am »
I don't think there are requirements that say a business can't do both but here in Des Moines they seem to devide alone fuel and non-fuel lines.  I can find dive shops that fill CO2 and oxygen, carbonic suppliers that just fill CO2, fuel companies for just LP but I haven't found anyone who does all 3.  At a retail level at least.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:27:27 am »
You should call the dept of weights and measures in your state, they calibrate and monitor for accuracy on all devices.  Maybe the state official can set him straight. 

OR just pay him by the pound like my propane guy, and not per tank.

My local brew store sets the CO2 tank on a scale, zeros the scale, then fills the tank to 5 lbs. (and only charges $10)
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:31 am »
Sounds to me like he doesn't know how to fill a tank.  My local fire guy fills mine and I think he probably wastes as much as he puts in because he says the tank has to be cold in order to fill properly so he fills (puts gas ins) and purges my tank 3 or 4 times until it's frosty and then fills it.  I think if you just hook up a warm tank you can't get 5 lbs in due to the expansion or something. 
Either way you're getting ripped off.