Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: denny's favorite 50 in a maris otter and amarillo/simcoe beer?  (Read 16553 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
denny's favorite 50 in a maris otter and amarillo/simcoe beer?
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
i was thinking about making a beer with 6.3 lbs of northern brewer maris otter extract and hopping with amarillo and simcoe to about 50-70 ibu.  i have some denny's fav 50 yeast from 03/12 that i need to use.  i plan on making a small starter if this particular yeast will work with a beer like that.

alternatively, i have safale us-05 and white labs california ale v from 5/2012.

thoughts?

thanks in advance.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: denny's favorite 50 in a maris otter and amarillo/simcoe beer?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:34:10 pm »
1450 should be good for that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »
1450 should be good for that.

thank you sir. 

/thread

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »
ugggg....  can't find the info on the maris otter extract to put in into beersmith.

AHA# 196703

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
northern brewer says 1.036 ppg and 4-5 srm hopr that helps
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
thanks.  let me see if i can work that in somehow!

AHA# 196703

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:17 pm »
i have some denny's fav 50 yeast from 03/12 that i need to use.  i plan on making a small starter if this particular yeast will work with a beer like that.
What form is the yeast from 3/12?  Is it an un-smacked smack pack?  Or is this a leftover slurry?  I would plan on a multi-stage starter in either case.  The first stage to check for viability and grow some yeast, the second stage to grow more yeast.  Viability will be pretty low after that long, but there should be plenty if it was stored well.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:03:16 am »
i have some denny's fav 50 yeast from 03/12 that i need to use.  i plan on making a small starter if this particular yeast will work with a beer like that.
What form is the yeast from 3/12?  Is it an un-smacked smack pack?  Or is this a leftover slurry?  I would plan on a multi-stage starter in either case.  The first stage to check for viability and grow some yeast, the second stage to grow more yeast.  Viability will be pretty low after that long, but there should be plenty if it was stored well.

+1.  And if it's slurry and does not smell particularly good, I would toss it and use something else.  You'll know when you take a whiff.....
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:05 am »

+1.  And if it's slurry and does not smell particularly good, I would toss it and use something else.  You'll know when you take a whiff.....

No kidding...I checked on some 3 month old slurry the other day.  It smelled like vinegar, so it went down the drain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02:11 am »

So...... I have a slurry of California Ale yeast that is about 3 months old.  Its been in my refrigerator in an E-Flask covered with Aluminum foil.  Came from a local brewery and it produced a vigorous fermentation when last used.  There is about 100 cc yeast and it is covered with  400cc beer that separated out.  Would you use it if it smells good (doesn't smell bad)?  Maybe decant it off and throw it in a starter?  How long does yeast like this stay good?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »
You're on the right track.  Decant, add some pre-boiled and cooled water of the same temperature and swirl it up.  You should know right away.  If undecided, then make a starter.  If that smells bad then toss.

I've used yeast slurry up to about 6 months old.  After that I am usually too scared to ruin a batch and waste 5-6 hours of my time over a $7 purchase.  It's usually around generation 4-5 anyway....

Dave
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:44:54 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »
Yes, decant and make a starter with it.  At 3 months old and only 100 mls of cake, I'd at least wake it up a bit before putting it to work.  But like others have said, if it smells off, toss it.  Better to leave your wort waiting a day or two or five for yeast than to throw in something you know is off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »

it was an unsmacked smack pack, but the bag was inflated.  i let it warm up and cut the corner, flattened it and smacked it and decanted it into an 800 ml starter.  i smelled it first and it smelled fine, but i can't tell what if any action i'm getting on the stirstarter.

AHA# 196703

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:48:24 pm »
it was an unsmacked smack pack, but the bag was inflated.  i let it warm up and cut the corner, flattened it and smacked it and decanted it into an 800 ml starter.  i smelled it first and it smelled fine, but i can't tell what if any action i'm getting on the stirstarter.
Give it a day or three and check the gravity.  Let it settle, decant, and do it again.  It should be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 05:15:37 pm »
Give it a day or three and check the gravity.  Let it settle, decant, and do it again.  It should be fine.

+1.  You need to give it some time to build back up.
Dave Zach