Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping in Primary...why not?  (Read 18193 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Dry Hopping in Primary...why not?
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »
In terms of aroma, any negatives to dry hopping in primary?

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Dry Hopping in Primary...why not?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
Absolutely not!  Just wait until the bulk of fermentation is done.  The CO2 will scrub out the aroma if you dry hop too soon.  I have done this a number of times with great results.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:04:30 pm »
I dry hop in primary with no issues.  I try to wait ten days at least before adding the first hops for dry hopping.  I always make sure the bulk of fermentation is done.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:17 pm »
In terms of aroma, any negatives to dry hopping in primary?

depends on when in the primary.  there has been a lot of discussion lately about dryhopping while still on the yeast that the yeast binds with the hop oils or something like that. but then there are people like Matt Brynildson that promote starting dryhopping when the gravity is within 1P of completion, so the offgassing CO2 will drive away the oxygen present in the hops (mainly whole leaf I would assume) and I would assume leaving on the primary yeast until you are ready to keg.

I am experimenting now with big dryhop charges in the primary without removing the yeast rather than keg hopping to see where that takes me.  Might still do the latter, but I'm experimenting....
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
Paul, my last imperial red ale, I dryhopped with 4 oz. of various hops (simcoe, amarillo, centennial and something else that i have forgotten) in the primary on the yeast.  The hop aroma was awesome.  I was very pleased with the results.  I have done lesser charges in the past with good results as well.  This was a 5 gallon batch.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Dry Hopping in Primary...why not?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
+1 to all. I let my beer ferment out for 2 wks then start the dry hopping regimen before racking to keg. I use pellet hops. Always have nice aroma and no off flavors.
Trey W.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
Don't bother with a transfer to a Secondary container unless you are going to add another fermentable.  I agree with the sentiment above, dry hopping at the later stage of fermentation in the Primary is the preferred way to go.  Keep the Primary cool and there won't be any problem with autolysis.  Bottle or keg directly from the Primary after the beer has clarified to a large degree.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:46 pm »
Paul, my last imperial red ale, I dryhopped with 4 oz. of various hops (simcoe, amarillo, centennial and something else that i have forgotten) in the primary on the yeast.  The hop aroma was awesome.  I was very pleased with the results.  I have done lesser charges in the past with good results as well.  This was a 5 gallon batch.

yeah - so far, that has been my experience as well - but I still am not getting that fresh, in your face, huffing on the opened hop bag aroma that I do from keg hopping, but I've only tried this a few times thusfar.  More research is needed...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »
Anyone experienced dry hopping a lager in the primary at 4 weeks, for an additional week.  Maybe let the temp increase from 50 on its own.  Then rack to a keg and lager cold as usual.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:15:59 am »
Well, I already dry hopped 1 1/2oz Amarillo, plus 1 1/2oz simcoe on day 5 of fermentation.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:53 am »
I've typically added my dry hops at anywhere from 10-14 days from the start of fermentation in the primary. After reading "For the Love of Hops", I am tempted to try adding my dry hops sooner. Stan reports that yeast create some of the aroma compounds that are desirable in dry hopping. I may have to start toying around with doing separate "early" and "late" dry hop additions to see if it brings any added benefit.

Anyone experienced dry hopping a lager in the primary at 4 weeks, for an additional week.  Maybe let the temp increase from 50 on its own.  Then rack to a keg and lager cold as usual.

Yes, and it works great. I did a combined D-rest/dry hop on my "Hoptoberfest" this summer and it was my favorite beer that I've brewed to date.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:24 am »
Wow, interesting to hear about you guys trying dryhopping before fermentation is done. 
I had thought that the "conventional" wisdom was that yeasties tie up and drag hoppy goodness down into the cake...to use the technical terms ::).

Let us know how your trials go. 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 08:07:10 am »
Wow, interesting to hear about you guys trying dryhopping before fermentation is done. 
I had thought that the "conventional" wisdom was that yeasties tie up and drag hoppy goodness down into the cake...to use the technical terms ::).

I always thought it was best to wait until after fermentation was done so you did not lose all of the hop aroma out the airlock with the CO2.......
Dave Zach

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:38 am »

If you read the Hops book, you'll know that there really is no 'conventional wisdom' when it comes to dry hopping. Everyone does it a bit differently and you'll have to work out what works for your system.

PS- Gotta love those technical terms!  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:26 am »

I always thought it was best to wait until after fermentation was done so you did not lose all of the hop aroma out the airlock with the CO2.......

I've heard both these things as well, and that's why I've added my dry hops on the late side in the past. I'm definitely going to try moving to a 2-stage dry-hopping regimen when practical after reading Stan's book, in hopes of catching the best of both worlds.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer