Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53404 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:02 am »
Sometimes on top of a classic meatloaf; almost never have that, though.  It also shows up as an ingredient in a few Chinese recipes (kan shao shrimp, maybe a dipping sauce or two).

I've switched to a German curry ketchup for burgers, use Thai sweet chili sauce (thanks, Australia), mayo (thanks, Belgium), or barbecue sauce for fries, and use salsa on eggs.  Ketchup as a plain condiment just doesn't do it for me.  Still useful as an ingredient (BBQ sauce is a good one).  I like tomatoes; I'm just not a fan of corn syrup.

On the other hand, if you make your own ketchup, you'll find yourself using it on a lot more things.  It uses up way more tomatoes than just making sauce.  Haven't had time to do that in years, but it's a good thing.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2010, 11:26:40 am »
The only two uses for ketchup as a condiment is on fries (mayo just as good) and on my corn-dog- which must have mustard as well.

Sometimes a squirt gets added when cooking beans for giggles.

I have also used it in a pizza sauce BTW. Interesting. Pureed caramelized red onion and a healthy squirt of ketchup! Was pretty darn good.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »
Don't forget the best of them all: ketchup with some mayonnaise mixed in, optionally with sriracha. Om nom nom.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
Time to start the "All things Ketchup" thread! :D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »
Oh funny, I was just searching for an image of Smith and Jones sweet and hot sauce. (IMO the best ketchup in the world)

Its Indian, Check this out bottom of the page.  ;D

http://smith-n-jones.com/knowmoresauces.html
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:24 pm »
I've switched to a German curry ketchup for burgers

I like the curry ketchup too, but I go through phases. Either that's the only ketchup I use, or I don't use it at all, for months at a time.

And for the record, I can't tell the difference between the scharf and the regular.

In onter pizza-related news, I made 2 pies today. The deep dish in the skillet with sourdough crust turned out pretty well.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »
And when you are in Europe and you want good old hamburger, Mc Dee (Mc Donalds) to the rescue.
Hey they are even open on Sundays!!!

If I ever get back over there, I want Jagersnitzel....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »
Reviving an old thread...

I haven't taken any photos of my pizza in awhile, but I felt this deserved some fanfare.  I've taken a new (to me) approach to my pizza making over the last month or so. 

I used to start the pizza on a screen and bake it until the crust was solid enough to transfer to a stone for finishing.  I used the screen mostly as a crutch for shaping the pizza.  However, over the past month, I've been honing my pizzaiolo skills.  I bought a large 18" x 24" wooden American Metalcraft pizza peel and have been dressing the pizza on the peel and then transferring it directly to the stone.  The results have been fantastic.  I've noticed that the crust has better oven spring when I start it directly on the stone.  Also, the crust texture is more airy and there are more crust bubbles.  Basically, the final product more resembles pizzeria pizza.  Any other pizza fans out there have any pizza photos or techniques you'd like to share?

Here is the pizza I made tonight...along with my porter served on nitro.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »
Beef and pepperoni? Or sausage? Any way that looks delicious. I keep tiles in my oven for cooking pizza and bread. Directly on the stone is the way to go IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2011, 06:08:42 am »
Beef and pepperoni? Or sausage? Any way that looks delicious. I keep tiles in my oven for cooking pizza and bread. Directly on the stone is the way to go IMO.

Pepperoni and sausage.  I had no idea there would be that much of a difference in the crust with starting directly on the stone.  It's definitely better.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2011, 07:52:30 am »
Matt I look at that pic, and I see my Wilsonart Countertop...we like ours.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2011, 08:38:36 am »
Matt...nice looking pie!

The pizza making season is here. Your post has inspired me to make a batch of dough this weekend. I've been using the screen off and on and haven't seen any real benefits from using the screen other than for the reasons you've stated. I think I'll start right on the stone for my next batch.

What was your dough recipe and process this time?
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Hey Ron,

It's definitely pizza season!  I've been making Peter Reinhart's dough recipe lately.  The finished texture of this dough is so soft and airy, but it still gets nice and crispy on the outside.

Here's the formulation for a 16" pizza...

Flour (100%): 11.25 oz (11 oz KABF, .25 oz VWG)
Water (62.2%): 7 oz
IDY (.85%): .10 oz
Salt (2.24%): .25 oz
Olive Oil (6.66%): .75 oz
Honey (4.45%): .5 oz
Total dough weight: 19.85 oz

1. In a stand mixer, combine all the ingredients. Mix on slow speed for approximately 4 minutes to form a firm, slightly tacky ball of dough. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes and then continue to mix for an additional three minutes on medium speed. The dough should be supple and barely tacky. Adjust the flour or water as needed.

2. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, large enough to accommodate it if it doubles in size. Roll the dough in the oiled bowl to coat it, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and immediately refrigerate it for a minimum of 12 hours.

3. After 12 hours of cold fermentation, reball the dough and place it back in the refrigerator.  Two hours before you plan to make the pizzas, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature.

4. Heat your pizza stone for at least 45-60 minutes, on the highest setting your oven will go. Prepare your toppings, sauce, and cheese. Set up for your favorite style of pizza and bake on the stone at the highest setting your oven allows for approximately 7 to 9 minutes, or until the pizza is golden brown on the edges (cornicione), and crisp underneath. If the toppings are not cooked to your liking, turn on your oven's broiler and transfer the pizza to the upper rack for 30-60 seconds.  Enjoy!!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2011, 10:35:43 am »
Sounds good Matt!

I'll have to give that one a try...maybe next weekend. Prepare the dough Saturday night and have it ready for Sunday. I'd like to try making some Calzones with that recipe.
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:32 am »
Sounds good Matt!

I'll have to give that one a try...maybe next weekend. Prepare the dough Saturday night and have it ready for Sunday. I'd like to try making some Calzones with that recipe.

Let me know what you think about the dough.  I'd be very interested in how well it performs for calzones!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial