Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53400 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Pizza Fatta en Casa
« on: November 08, 2009, 02:40:32 pm »
Pizza. Lets see em guys!.

I make all different kinds. Some a little 'out there'.

I remember being in a pizza place in Germany. They had an "American" style pizza there. It had canned corn on it.

And all over Eastern Europe they give you a bottle of ketchup with your pizza. If you ask them why they say. "It is very American"

Here is one we made as an app today.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
Cap, your story about Germany reminded me of this time my family and I were in Munich.  After being in Europe for several weeks, we were hungry for some American grub.  While we had significant doubts, we decided to go to this "classic American" restaurant, which was a hollywood-circa-1950's-themed place.  We ordered cheeseburgers and I'm not entirely convinced that they weren't made out of offal.  It was the strangest tasting meat, cooked all the way through with a really rubbery texture...blech!

I've been into making NY-style pizza lately, which is characterized by a bready rim that tapers down to a thin, foldable center.  Here are two pies I made last week.

Margherita with both low-moisture and fresh mozzarella

Pepperoni

Here's a nice shot of the bottom crust
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:42:11 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:41 am »
I'm making a new batch of dough to cold ferment tonight. Here's a recent pie.

Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:17 am »
Lovely.

We make several different kinds of pizzas here at the Capozzoli residence, as Im sure you guys do too.

Most of the time they are like bread cause we are usually using left over bread dough to make them. That above pizza is made with leftover pita bread dough. Then we top it with whatever we have. That one is topped with tomatoes, basil, pan seared mushrooms, dry cured black olives and olive oil and garlic.

One of my favorites to make is a pastry crust type dough with seafood fra diavalo on top. We arrange lobster, shrimp and scallops in a circular pattern with thin sliced fresh tomatoes similar to one of those fuit tarts. The sauce is spicy hot.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:33:33 pm »
Most of the time they are like bread cause we are usually using left over bread dough to make them. That above pizza is made with leftover pita bread dough. Then we top it with whatever we have.

Pizza is a great way to get rid of leftovers!

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:55:52 am »
One time I took my wife to Slovak Pizza place.
She is still talking about Hard boiled eggs chopped on top of the pizza.
I thought it tasted pretty good if you ask me.

And when you are in Europe and you want good old hamburger, Mc Dee (Mc Donalds) to the rescue.
Hey they are even open on Sundays!!!
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:44 am »
Hard boiled eggs sounds OK.. Im surprised they dont have pickles on top of the pizza.

I make a breakfast pizza with fried eggs and ham. Its awesome!

Some times I make breakfast pizza outta leftover pizza shop pizza.

Hey Smady Munich, do you make slovakian potato salad? That is what you serve with your cutlets right?

How come every Slovakian party has cutlets and potato salad?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
Honestly...there are an infinite numer of combos that one could top a pie with. It's got to be one of the most universal types of food on the planet. Have you ever tried grilled pizza? I'm talking about wood fired grilling. It's an awesome flavor. One of my favorite ways to serve it.
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »
Hey Smady Munich, do you make slovakian potato salad? That is what you serve with your cutlets right?

How come every Slovakian party has cutlets and potato salad?
I guess we just LOVE potato salad!!!

We were not too much potato salad family but  think it is consider "better" food.
It is much easier to make just boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes.

Are we talking cutlets = schnitzels?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »
Yes, in the US they are called breaded cutlets. In Slovakian they are rezne I believe.

And the potato salad with pickles and pikle juice. zemiakovy salat. Right? Wifey isnt here to check me on that.  And, sorry dont have those fancy punctuations on my computer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:33:42 pm by capozzoli »

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:36:34 pm »
Ok I need dough recipies. Patriot the pizza really does look NY style, and I have seen a slice of pizza in every borough of the city every week for a decade. I promise if you drop some science on me I'll post a smoked mozzarella pizza (sauce TBD: vodka sauce with capers is in the early planning stages). I just need something that will cut through the cream and smoke - I don't think Vodka will work but the wife likes it and I make a decent low cal version.

Maybe some crushed san marzano tomatoes. I'm so clueless.
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:12 am »
King-Size - Here's a great site to get you started.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html

This is the Tom Lehmann formulation...which works well for home baked pies. It's a little bit of deciphering but works well.

Matt and I both use this method. It's about cold fermentation and processing the dough. It will take some trial and error. Good Luck!  8)
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:21:02 am »
King, my dough recipe is really simple.  It's actually just the Lehmann recipe bluesman referenced in the above post.  The only tricks are that 1) the ingredients need to be added by weight, not volume, and 2) it needs to be made a few days in advance.  Also, I make my dough with my food processor, but there are plenty of other ways you can make it (stand mixer, kneading by hand, etc.).  The cooking of the pizza can be a little bit tricky, but even on my first try I ended up with an awesome pie.  If you don't have a pizza screen, just use a 14" x 16" pizza stone.  If you don't have a pizza stone, go buy one.   ;)

Here it is:

1 x 16” pizza:
12.75 oz King Arthur Bread Flour (KABF) plus 9g Vital Wheat Gluten (VWG) flour
8.5 oz very cold tap H2O
.20 oz,  sea salt
2g (about 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp), Instant Dry Yeast (IDY)
.25 oz, olive oil

Procedure:
Preparing the dough: Combine flour (both KABF and VWG) and IDY in the bowl of the food processor.  Dissolve the salt in the water.  Using the dough blade and the pulse feature, add the water and salt solution to the bowl of the food processor until all of the flour has been taken up by the dough.  Add the olive oil and knead it into the dough, again using the pulse feature.  Finally, run processor at full speed (“on”) for about 20 seconds.  Remove the dough from the food processor bowl and shape it into a smooth ball (you may need to knead it a few times to smooth it out).  The finished dough temp should be between 80-85 degrees and should weigh approximately 22 oz.  Once the dough is prepared and formed into a smooth ball, coat it very lightly with olive oil, put it into a lightly oiled mixing bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.  Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 48 hours.

Cooking the pizza: Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and place it on the kitchen counter for 2 to 3 hours to let it warm up.  While the dough is warming, place your pizza stone on the bottom-most rack of your oven and preheat the oven to 500-550 degrees.  Let the stone preheat for at least one hour from the point at which the oven has reached temperature.  When the stone has been adequately preheated, shape the dough and place it on a 16” pizza screen.  Dress the pizza.  Place the pizza, along with the screen, on a rack in the upper half of the oven.  When the crust has begun to solidify and brown (about 4-5 minutes), rotate the pizza 180 degrees and move it down to the pizza stone, gently sliding it off the pizza screen (you may need to use a pizza peel to get between the pizza and the screen and “encourage” the pizza onto the stone.  After another 4-5 minutes (or when the bottom of the crust has sufficiently browned, move the pizza back up to the upper rack and turn on the broiler.  Broil the pizza for 30-60 seconds, just until there is a nice, even browning on the rim of the crust and the cheese is nicely melted.  Remove the pizza from the oven with a pizza peel and slide it onto a 16” metal pizza tray.  Slice and enjoy!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:40:34 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:04:04 am »
Garlic, onion, poblano, fresh basil

Pep, poblano, and onion
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:07:21 pm »
Stromboli!

Philly Style!

Love this stuff.

Cold ferment the dough for 48hrs.

This is three meat (ham, salami and pepperoni) with mozzarella and provolone cheeses.

ready for the oven

out of the oven @ 550F

and to the plate.

muy magnifico!
Ron Price