Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: simcoe, citra and amarillo  (Read 14514 times)

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
simcoe, citra and amarillo
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:16 pm »
I am going to make a big an imperial ipa and I am going to use Simcoe (12.8 AA), Citra (14.1AA), and Amarillo (9.4AA) but I am unsure how to best utilize the bitterness and aroma to maximize each.  I have been brewing so many single hop beers to try to be able to recognize what each does that I am afraid using a combo of each I may lose something.  Here is the recipe and please feel free to give suggestions on how YOU would utilize these three hops in a single beer.

LBS   OZ
14   2   American Two-row Pale
1      Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (Boil)
   10   American Dextrin (Cara-Pils)
   10   American Crystal 40L

oz                             AA
boil   60 min   ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   60 min   ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8
boil   45 min   ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   30 min   ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8
boil   15 min   ½    Amarillo ~ pellet   9.4
boil   3 min           ½    Amarillo ~ pellet   9.4
boil   3 min           ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   3 min           ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8

Using (2) 11.5 GRAMS OF SAFALE 05

EST OG: 1.078
EST FG: 1.017

IBU: 78.5

there will be some dry hopping using the some of the same three hops.  Suggestions welcome on that aspect too.

Always appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:38:16 pm by travjohn92 »
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: simcoe, citra and amarillo
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:57:07 pm »
Grain bill looks good to me. I'd kick your 45 minute Citra addition out to 15 minutes to achieve more flavor from the hop. If you're worried about losing IBU's from this move, up the 30 minute Simcoe to get them back. Move your 3 minute additions out to 0 minutes and up them to an ounce a piece. I would use at least an ounce of each to dry hop with...maybe even two.

That's just what I would do.... but it's your recipe, so I think you should do what you think is best!
Frank

Offline jklinck

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:16 am »
I am going to make a big an imperial ipa and I am going to use Simcoe (12.8 AA), Citra (14.1AA), and Amarillo (9.4AA) but I am unsure how to best utilize the bitterness and aroma to maximize each.  I have been brewing so many single hop beers to try to be able to recognize what each does that I am afraid using a combo of each I may lose something.  Here is the recipe and please feel free to give suggestions on how YOU would utilize these three hops in a single beer.

LBS   OZ
14   2   American Two-row Pale
1      Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (Boil)
   10   American Dextrin (Cara-Pils)
   10   American Crystal 40L

oz                             AA
boil   60 min   ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   60 min   ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8
boil   45 min   ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   30 min   ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8
boil   15 min   ½    Amarillo ~ pellet   9.4
boil   3 min           ½    Amarillo ~ pellet   9.4
boil   3 min           ½    Citra ~ pellet   14.1
boil   3 min           ½    Simcoe ~ pellet   12.8

Using (2) 11.5 GRAMS OF SAFALE 05

EST OG: 1.078
EST FG: 1.017

IBU: 78.5

there will be some dry hopping using the some of the same three hops.  Suggestions welcome on that aspect too.

Always appreciated.

Using IPA hops at 30, 45 and 60 is a complete waste. Move your 30/45/60 additions to your 3 min additions (1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Simcoe at 3 min). Then get some cheap and readily available Magnum for your bittering.

On the dry hopping go light on the Citra because it really overpowers other hops. I would say 1oz Citra, 2oz Amarillo and 2oz Simcoe.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:58:04 am by jklinck »
BJCP National Judge, D0872

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:29 am »
I know the original Pliny clone had cara pils in it but doesn't it contradict the point to have cara pils and sugar in the same recipe?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:15:33 am »
On the dry hopping go light on the Citra because it really overpowers other hops. I would say 1oz Citra, 2oz Amarillo and 2oz Simcoe.

Second this. The 2012 Citra is quite loud in combination with other hops - I did a even addition of Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Mosaic and Citra and all I could taste was CITRA!!! Not a bad thing, but something to be aware of.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:17:30 am »
Agree with the comment about 45 and 30 min. Being a waste, and you need flame out additions. Get your bus up to where you want them to be wioth a 60 minute addition and maybe a 20 minute addition and then everything else goes in under 10 min. With. The majority at flame out. Adding any hops during the boil is gong to add bitterness and lose aroma.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:29:08 am »
+1 to removing the 45 and 30 additions.  I would bitter with the Simcoe if those are your choices, Amarillo at 15 and big time flame out as said.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:23 am »

Second this. The 2012 Citra is quite loud in combination with other hops - I did a even addition of Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Mosaic and Citra and all I could taste was CITRA!!! Not a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

OR just go heavy on the Amarillo instead  ;)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:20:21 am »
I agree with pretty much everything above. For an IIPA I'd go with about 40-50 IBUs of Columbus or Chinook at 60 minutes (you could use Magnum or Hop Extract here if you don't want as much bite). I'd use an ounce each of the Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra as FWH, do an ounce of Simcoe at 15min, Citra at 10 min, Amarillo at 5 min and an ounce of each at flameout followed by at least an hour hop stand. At 10 days add an ounce of each for dry hops. Add another ounce of Simcoe and Amarillo 3 days later.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 07:43:12 am »

+2! amen to this!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 07:58:55 am »
I have to be the old cantankerous guy here, as a couple of my favorite IPAs that I brew have additions at 45, 30 or both. Clones of Pliny, Union Jack, and Headhunter. The Headhunter from Steele's IPA book is now one I am doing often (of course I had to sub Mosaic for Simcoe).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 08:07:56 am »

Using IPA hops at 30, 45 and 60 is a complete waste. Move your 30/45/60 additions to your 3 min additions (1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Simcoe at 3 min). Then get some cheap and readily available Magnum for your bittering.

I am trying to use hops that I have on hand and don't have any Magnum.  Here is what I have on hand in addition to the Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo.
Apollo (18.5AA)
EXP 5256 (17.0AA)
EXP 6300 (14.6AA)
Polaris (21.0AA)
El Dorado (15.3AA)
EXP 1210 (6.4AA)

Suggestions and thoughts on the best bittering hop
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 08:10:33 am »
i don't mind the timing at all, but the amounts late kettle are pretty low. 

Double jack uses over 4# of hops per beer barrel, totaling of all additions.  That works out to over 2oz per gallon.

assuming you dryhop with at least 2oz, you're at a measly 1.2 oz per gallon - I do APAs at that level, its puny for IIPA.  You need to hit it harder with late hops (between 15-0) where you won't get much IBU contribution but will get a lot of hop flavor and some aroma, and then dryhop at least 3oz. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:11 am »
I like Apollo a lot for bittering.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:24 am »
I have to be the old cantankerous guy here, as a couple of my favorite IPAs that I brew have additions at 45, 30 or both. Clones of Pliny, Union Jack, and Headhunter. The Headhunter from Steele's IPA book is now one I am doing often (of course I had to sub Mosaic for Simcoe).

I don't think it hurts anything but I don't think it helps much either. If you are brewing an IIPA you need to have loads of flame out and dry hops. Nuf said.