Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bridge collapse  (Read 5120 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: bridge collapse
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:25:32 am »
This wasn't a case of failing infrastructure - an oversized truck hit one of the supports.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/24/18465755-like-a-hollywood-movie-driver-survives-i-5-bridge-collapse-into-wash-river?lite

I would think that if one truck hitting one support is enough to take down a bridge it's till failing infrastructure. just not spontaneous failure.

Could be crappy engineering and/or construction defects.  But failing/poorly maintained infrastructure is more likely.

agreed on both points. I am not a structural engineer (IANASE?) but I would think that basic design/construction failure would likely have showed up much earlier in the bridges life span.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:33 am »
In 2002 a tow barge hit a support of a bridge over the Arkansas River killing 14.  The barge driver blacked out and to make matters worse, a guy posing as a US army captain took charge of the disaster scene for two days!
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:22 am »
I would think that if one truck hitting one support is enough to take down a bridge it's till failing infrastructure. just not spontaneous failure.

Could be crappy engineering and/or construction defects.  But failing/poorly maintained infrastructure is more likely.
Surely, better maintanance might have helped. The article mentions that it was a "fracture critical" bridge - meaning that the bridge design would collapse if one part failed. I bet it's old engineering standards. There was probably a time when bridges weren't designed to take hits like that and they are now.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 10:06:38 am »
"Washington state was given a C in the American Society of Civil Engineers' 2013 infrastructure report card and a C- when it came to the state's bridges. The group said more than a quarter of Washington's 7,840 bridges are considered structurally deficient or functionally obsolete."  Not good.
As far a I know, that's a pretty good grade compared to other states.  This is what decades of not investing in our infrastructure gets us.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
As far a I know, that's a pretty good grade compared to other states.  This is what decades of not investing in our infrastructure gets us.

Careful now, only commies love bridges!
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:56 am »

Careful now, only commies love bridges!
;D Commies and people who like to cross rivers and lakes without getting wet, or getting on a boat of some sort.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
+1  ;D
Jon H.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:43 pm »
As a person who drives over another old bridge in the south of the state on a regular basis, I wonder if this shock will get the WA house to approve the monies to do the Colombia River Crossing.
Not looking forward to 3-5 years of major traffic but it needs to be done.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
There was also a failurea when a barge hit the South Padre Island Bridge on Sept 16, 2001. There are now stop lights that are activated if a wire carrying a signal is severed.

A good read is the latest by Henry Petroski, and he has a section on bridge failures. seems there is one that happens every 30-40 years, often due to unforeseen consequences as a bridge type is refined. His opinion is that the cable stayed bridges will be a cantidate for the next major failure.

http://www.amazon.com/Forgive-Design-Understanding-Failure/dp/0674065840

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »
I was on my way to work this morning and I'm connecting to I5 in a few miles and see an electronic sign that says "I5 closed, use alternate routes".  I was thinking, what do you mean I5 is closed?  What's going on?

Then the sign changes to say "I5 closed at exit 227", which is where the bridge failed and is like 60 miles north of me.  What the hell?  If I was going that way, there is no decent alternate route.  You drive all the way up there, take some local detour around the failed bridge, then get back on I5.  Do I really need to plan that from 60 miles away?

Dumb.
Tom Schmidlin