Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop a lager?  (Read 22484 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Dry hop a lager?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:12 am »
The Reinheitsgebot is basically BS.

http://patto1ro.home.xs4all.nl/reinheit.htm
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:28:03 am »
I've dry hopped BoPils, and also made what were basically IPLs back in the day. I'm sure the Germans wouldn't approve, but I liked them pretty well.

Dry hopping is Reinheitsgebot-compliant, right?

I always assumed that the traditional German lagers with the brightest hop character were dry-hopped because the long lagering time makes the kettle hop flavor/aroma drop off.
It may be compliant, but is not done in Germany, with the exception of the Uerige Sticke. The reason usually stated is that late additions to the boil (10 min.) give a more refined hop aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: Dry hop a lager?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:34 am »

Very true for most people. You must be of German DNA to qualify as a brewer capable of brewing under the rhg

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Re: Dry hop a lager?
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 10:00:00 am »
Very true for most people. You must be of German DNA to qualify as a brewer capable of brewing under the rhg

Naw, German brewers can make Belgian-style ales with sugar and export lagers with adjuncts, all "in accordance" with the RHG.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:07 am »

Good read. I love when people use the term 'bollocks'. Teehee.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:08 am »
Does one have to be born in Germany or just be a descendant? What if Charlemagne screwed your people out of it and now you're actually Alsatian?

I think some people are born to brew by the rhg and some are just reinheitsgebophobic from generations of bad beer. Adjunctivitis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:40 am »
Does one have to be born in Germany or just be a descendant?

I've never heard that before. That's not in the RHG. the RHG only applies to beer brewed in Germany. Doesn't really matter who brews it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:45 am »
I think it's a better law than the Texas ale law.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:32:22 am »
Does one have to be born in Germany or just be a descendant? What if Charlemagne screwed your people out of it and now you're actually Alsatian?

I think some people are born to brew by the rhg and some are just reinheitsgebophobic from generations of bad beer. Adjunctivitis
Be of German heritage and speak German was what I was told when I lived there, but you might want to look that up. I do think some changes were made to the law after I returned home.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
A friend of mine recently brought me a Sam Adams Double Agent IPL hopped with Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops. I belive this is a dry hopped beer. It's very nice.
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:45:32 am »
Be of German heritage and speak German was what I was told when I lived there, but you might want to look that up. I do think some changes were made to the law after I returned home.

Technically, the RHG isn't the only law anymore. While it didn't strictly replace the RHG, now most brewers follow the "Vorläufiges Biergesetz" of 1993, which allows a much wider range of ingredients. I didn't see anything about the Brauer's Herkunft in there.

http://archiv.jura.uni-saarland.de/BGBl/TEIL1/1993/19931400.1.HTML

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
A friend of mine recently brought me a Sam Adams Double Agent IPL hopped with Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops. I belive this is a dry hopped beer. It's very nice.

I need to try this beer soon.

I'm a big fan of brewing hoppy lagers myself. I prefer malts like Munich instead of crystal in my hoppy beer, so going the lager route is a natural extension of that. I generally dry hop in conjunction with an extended D-rest, since I like to dry hop warm. I find that the cold conditioning process helps crash out any unwanted vegetative material and hop tannins that comes from dry hopping.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:04 pm »

Technically, the RHG isn't the only law anymore. While it didn't strictly replace the RHG, now most brewers follow the "Vorläufiges Biergesetz" of 1993, which allows a much wider range of ingredients. I didn't see anything about the Brauer's Herkunft in there.

http://archiv.jura.uni-saarland.de/BGBl/TEIL1/1993/19931400.1.HTML
I was responding to what it takes to become a German citizen. I worked with a guy who was born in Germany and spoke fluent German. He was a second generation Turkish gastarbeiter, and was not eligible to become a German citizen. Different country, different laws.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:52 pm »
Well I broke down and dry hopped a 1/2 ounce of Mt hood in my American and a 1/2 of Goldings in my Bohemian. They are in a 60 deg D rest now. Will test FG and sample for Acetaldehyde in a week

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:23 am »
Well I broke down and dry hopped a 1/2 ounce of Mt hood in my American and a 1/2 of Goldings in my Bohemian. They are in a 60 deg D rest now. Will test FG and sample for Acetaldehyde in a week

Jim, I would have waited to dry hop until after the D-Rest.  You are probably blowing off much of the aroma if there is activity......

Dave
Dave Zach