Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Crush Steeping Grains  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Double Crush Steeping Grains
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:51:17 am »
So I recently went with a friend to our LHBS to pick up ingredients for an 10 gallon extract recipe that we will be brewing for Big Brew day on Saturday.

Some of the grain that my friend gathered was not crushed while some was (the LHBS's mill is a little strange and you have to move the rollers on the bottom to get it going). I don't think he noticed it wasn't crushing properly.  I didn't notice until I got home when I was putting away the grain that there appeared to be whole grain in the bag.  I opened it up and...sure enough there was whole grain along with grain that was crushed.

My question is, can I run the grain through again without compromising the recipe?  I know that double crushed grain will extract more flavor/sugars so I am concerned of extracting too much since we are using extract. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks!

Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Double Crush Steeping Grains
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:15:26 am »
So I recently went with a friend to our LHBS to pick up ingredients for an 10 gallon extract recipe that we will be brewing for Big Brew day on Saturday.

Some of the grain that my friend gathered was not crushed while some was (the LHBS's mill is a little strange and you have to move the rollers on the bottom to get it going). I don't think he noticed it wasn't crushing properly.  I didn't notice until I got home when I was putting away the grain that there appeared to be whole grain in the bag.  I opened it up and...sure enough there was whole grain along with grain that was crushed.

My question is, can I run the grain through again without compromising the recipe?  I know that double crushed grain will extract more flavor/sugars so I am concerned of extracting too much since we are using extract. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks!

sure you can. with character malts in an extract batch though as long as the kernel is cracked you should be okay. if they are entirely intact, untouched that might be a problem.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Re: Double Crush Steeping Grains
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:01 am »
Great.  Thanks for the reply.  I was unsure so thought I would ask. 

Thanks again!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing