Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop a lager?  (Read 22462 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dry hop a lager?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 07:09:16 am »
Well I broke down and dry hopped a 1/2 ounce of Mt hood in my American and a 1/2 of Goldings in my Bohemian. They are in a 60 deg D rest now. Will test FG and sample for Acetaldehyde in a week

Jim, I would have waited to dry hop until after the D-Rest.  You are probably blowing off much of the aroma if there is activity......

Dave

Unless there is really vigorous fermentation I doubt that this is the case. Plus, there is some information out there that suggests that yeast actually produce some of the desired hop aroma components. IMO you have more potential benefit from starting the dry hopping earlier in the process.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:27 am »
Some say to add when you only have about 1 Plato to go, and the yeast are still active, but fermentaion has slowed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:35 am »
Interesting.  I always thought if there is any outgassing, you are losing aroma.  When you raise the temp, you are bound to have some activity.  Sounds like something to read up on.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 07:58:00 am »
I start d rest when below 1.020 these were about 1.018 two days ago. No bubbles per minute

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »
A friend of mine recently brought me a Sam Adams Double Agent IPL hopped with Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops. I belive this is a dry hopped beer. It's very nice.
Bought some Sam Adams IPL on the way home, Ron.  And I like it quite a bit too.  I had a mental picture of something more akin to their Imperial Pilsener, which I love.  Not like that at all.  Pretty much their Boston Lager base (~5%abv) more or less, but hopped very nicely. I like the hop combo alot. A very good sub-$9  6- pack. Not as many of those anymore.
Jon H.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
A very good sub-$9  6- pack. Not as many of those anymore.

One of the few redeeming things about Missouri is the cheap craft beer. Boulevard sixer is $6 and change, some Schlafly sixers are under $6. Pretty much everything local is <$8.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »
A very good sub-$9  6- pack. Not as many of those anymore.

One of the few redeeming things about Missouri is the cheap craft beer. Boulevard sixer is $6 and change, some Schlafly sixers are under $6. Pretty much everything local is <$8.
Actually, those 2 beers are on my list as well.  Boulevard is easier to get here, but I can find Schlafly as well. 2 VERY underrated breweries. Boulevard's brewer is from Belgium ,no?
Jon H.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
Actually, those 2 beers are on my list as well.  Boulevard is easier to get here, but I can find Schlafly as well. 2 VERY underrated breweries. Boulevard's brewer is from Belgium ,no?

Yeah, Pauwels is from Belgium. IIRC his dad was a brewer. He left Belgian due to brewery consolidation in Belgium.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.