Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drinking while brewing  (Read 11372 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Drinking while brewing
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 08:24:33 am »
I forgot to add the finishing hops one time.  But of course, that was the time we took a break between mash and boil to run out to a bar.  There were bad decisions abounding on that particular day.

When I realized my error (the next day or sometime later) I made a hop tea to add to the fermenter and all turned out well.

I'll generally have one or two, but definitely the details can slip especially if the one or two are tripels or old ales.
+1.  I did something very similar once.  When I started brewing, I made a few batches with my brother who was more interested in drinking than brewing, to say the least.  So I saved a batch with hop tea.  Came out pretty good, all considered.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 09:13:50 am »
I usually start brewing before 9am and have my first beer at noon.  I tend not to forget things or screw up because of drinking, but I find I get aggravated more easily when the pump gets clogged or something leaks.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:55 am »
I used to drink a few when I first starting brewing, that was the point right??  ;D But after I poured a batch into an unsanitized carboy, that quickly stopped. I was amazed how much better my beers starting turning out when I stop drinking while brewing and started paying attention.

I usually don't have my first until the wort is in the carboy. If I am doing a double batch, I will have one with lunch which is right about the time I am done with the first brew. Most of the time I brew by myself but when I brewing with my buddies I will usually have a few, but keep the brew simple.

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:23 am »
I'll wait well into the boil to pop the top on a bottle of homebrew; and then it's usually only one with a sandwhich for lunch. I figure the hardest part is the mash, that requires the most attention from me and now that's in the past.
By the time I get to the boil it's lunch time on a Saturday and if the weather's nice it seems a shame not to partake of a previous brewing effort. I find that if I have more than just 1 or 2, then clean-up gets put off until the next day and I hate cleaning up hops and junk that have dried on the sides of the kettle.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
I'll wait well into the boil to pop the top on a bottle of homebrew; and then it's usually only one with a sandwhich for lunch. I figure the hardest part is the mash, that requires the most attention from me and now that's in the past.
By the time I get to the boil it's lunch time on a Saturday and if the weather's nice it seems a shame not to partake of a previous brewing effort. I find that if I have more than just 1 or 2, then clean-up gets put off until the next day and I hate cleaning up hops and junk that have dried on the sides of the kettle.

+1 to that!

I write a Brew Day Sheet every time I brew so every step is clear including timing, amounts, etc., I actually include the following instruction: "When it comes to a boil, start the xx-min timer and have a homebrew!"

P.S. - That Brew Day Sheet has saved my butt a few times after a pint or two -
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Drinking while brewing
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »
seems like a few of you are not very well functioning drunks. Just sayin'.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »
I think it's an acquired skill !  Took some trial and error.
Jon H.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 12:40:38 pm »
'

yeah, i think they just need more practice till they can do it easily 8)
Don AHA member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »
'

yeah, i think they just need more practice till they can do it easily 8)

Agreed. I'm way out of practice. Having a 2-year old will do that to you. Once my son is old enough that I can let him drive on brewday, then I might be inclined to sample more while brewing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »
I can't brew beer without drinking it simultaneously...just can't.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:59 am »

I wait 'till I either smack my yeast packs, or start weighing grain.  LOL

Offline mpmccann

• 1st Kit
  • Old Orchard Brewing - Lewisville, Texas
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:55 am »
I've been known to do it, but I really try to pace myself, some days its easier then others... ;D
All for Brew / Brew for All

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:16 am »
Drinking while brewing? Mandatory! 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »
Testing this tonight.  Will report back tomorrow.  Made 10G of GPils stone sober earlier and then had a few during my 5G of BoPils tonight.  Already experienced a few minor setbacks....

Dave 
Dave Zach

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:10 pm »

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out myself. Brew day is usually 5 to 6 hours....A beer an hour can't hurt you... well at least it doesn't affect me too much. The only thing that I ever forget on a regular basis is whirlfloc. I have started to add a 10-15 minute hop addition, so I add my tab to that baggie.
Frank