Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drinking while brewing  (Read 11286 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Drinking while brewing
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »
seems like a few of you are not very well functioning drunks. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out myself. Brew day is usually 5 to 6 hours....A beer an hour can't hurt you... well at least it doesn't affect me too much. The only thing that I ever forget on a regular basis is whirlfloc. I have started to add a 10-15 minute hop addition, so I add my tab to that baggie.

If I drink 5-6 beers, I've had it for the day.  Especially since I begin brewing between 7-9 Am usually.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Drinking while brewing
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:44 pm »

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out myself. Brew day is usually 5 to 6 hours....A beer an hour can't hurt you... well at least it doesn't affect me too much. The only thing that I ever forget on a regular basis is whirlfloc. I have started to add a 10-15 minute hop addition, so I add my tab to that baggie.

If I drink 5-6 beers, I've had it for the day.  Especially since I begin brewing between 7-9 Am usually.

Haha... I usually have a stout with breakfast, which happens during the mash. By the time the boil is over, I MIGHT have two more beers in me. Most do get drank after the boil. I don't know. If I'm doing something productive outside of work, I'm usually doing it while having a beer.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Drinking while brewing
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

Haha... I usually have a stout with breakfast, which happens during the mash. By the time the boil is over, I MIGHT have two more beers in me. Most do get drank after the boil. I don't know. If I'm doing something productive outside of work, I'm usually doing it while having a beer.

I used to be able to do that.  No more.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:18 am »
I frankly get more distracted with visitors than with beers.  We have only one rule in our club:  If you are making homebrew, then you are drinking homebrew.  Admittedly, I tend to favor pretty simple beers.....and I usually savor the first one through until the wort is in the boil kettle, but hey, I also typically start by 6 am.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:15 am »
OK, so I found that all of the automatics during sober brewing became a lot of thought after a couple of all-Simcoe IPAs.  I'd get to my brew closet to grab some Whirfloc and have to take a second to think why I was there.  Adding up brew times was much more difficult and clean-up took a bit longer than usual.  However, all in all the beer was done without any mishaps.  Sue hope it tastes good.  I'm experimenting with a caramel lager.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 05:59:14 am »
I should also point out that I finally took the time to measure how much volume I was losing after filling up the fermenter.  There was about 3/4G of trub filled wort left over.  I was about to dump it as usual and said let's figure this out already for sure and filled up a gallon jug instead.  If I was not buzzed I probably would have stayed within the process.

The moral is:  You can learn if you drink and brew as well......or something like that!   ::)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:04 am »
More dangerous is drinking while posting. .. just sayin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:16 am »

Yea, that's a no-no.....
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 06:33:59 am »

Yea, that's a no-no.....

I keep relearning that lesson.  I also learned not to try to post while brewing a few weeks ago.  I lose track of time.  Worst boil over in years.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 07:56:31 am »

The two things I always forget, regardless of consumption, are Irish moss and yeast nutrient.  I suppose I should add them to my recipe so I remember. I'm very much a list person.  If it's not on the list, I'm likely to forget it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:11 am »
I only drink while brewing if I am night-brewing, which is very rare. I suspect I'd make some terrible homebrew after drinking several of its cousins.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:38 pm »
The two things I always forget, regardless of consumption, are Irish moss and yeast nutrient.  I suppose I should add them to my recipe so I remember. I'm very much a list person.  If it's not on the list, I'm likely to forget it.
For me it's the salts in the mash.  Forgot again today. ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 08:51:43 am »
should this happen again, you should remember that there is no problem with leaving that wort safely tucked away under an air lock for 24ish hours until you ARE able to get yeast.

However, brewers yeast and bakers yeast are the same species of yeast. While the provenance of the bakers yeast is likely not as perfectly kept as a particular strain of yeast for brewing it'll be fine.

That is very interesting. I've always assumed baker's yeast would never work, but this makes total sense.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
should this happen again, you should remember that there is no problem with leaving that wort safely tucked away under an air lock for 24ish hours until you ARE able to get yeast.

However, brewers yeast and bakers yeast are the same species of yeast. While the provenance of the bakers yeast is likely not as perfectly kept as a particular strain of yeast for brewing it'll be fine.

That is very interesting. I've always assumed baker's yeast would never work, but this makes total sense.

I think it kinda depends on your definition of "work"  Ferment wort, yes.  Make good beer, probably not.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
I think it kinda depends on your definition of "work"  Ferment wort, yes.  Make good beer, probably not.

And that depends on you definition of "good."
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton