Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
Re: NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 03:43:21 pm »
Does anyone here even have a legitimate breathalyzer?

I bought one a few years ago to keep myself safe and legal and I was absolutely surprised at where 0.08 was. Sometimes it's two beers, usually three session beers and it's even been one IIPA on an empty stomach. Point is, when you're drinking you usually underestimate your true level.

I tried the cheapo $40 breathalyzer about 12 years ago.  It worked will enough to help calibrate the relationship between how I felt and BAC but the response time is slow, like several minutes.  After a while I started to get pretty good at predicting BAC and don't seem use it as frequently now.  I always keep it in the console of my truck, good for a little reality check before turning the key, just in case I'm not as good at predicting as I think.  When you go to a brew club meeting, it's impossible to keep track of alcohol intake with small samples of various strength beers, much more difficult than tracking those 3 Bud's or whatever. 

I have now upgraded to a meter with "fuel cell technology", whatever that is, anyway, it produces results in a few seconds and is a quality piece.  Cost was about $120, cheap insurance in my book, if used properly.  One key to an accurate reading is to not drink anything for about a half hour before testing, otherwise the alcohol in your mouth causes a false positive.  Waiting that half hour is usually a good thing anyway but it makes the tool less effective in a party environment because people have a hard time waiting.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »
Just remember that testing yourself at <.080 is no guarantee that you won't be arrested. Collision plus any alcohol equals evidence of impairment. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »
Just remember that testing yourself at <.080 is no guarantee that you won't be arrested. Collision plus any alcohol equals evidence of impairment.

This is true, assuming you are blood tested.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:32 pm »
Didn't say "opposed", said "have not endorsed".

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 11:57:47 pm »

Don't need blood.  For example, left of center results in crash, cops arrive,  pbt shows .025. Guilty neg driving 1st degree.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 05:32:19 am »
That's assuming any type of sobriety test is done, which is not a given. You could have 2 beers, be "perfectly sober", get into an accident and never be tested at all.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:49 am »
Right. What I'm pointing out is that the per se limit makes you intoxicated "per se" regardless of your personal impairment level. But, it does not mean you are innocent if you are under the per se limit. If the officer observes evidence of impairment you may still be going to jail no matter what the BAC level is. Also, DUI is not the only alcohol driving crime.

Hopefully, this is all just interesting banter and my state will keep the .080 limit. Consistently detecting impairment below .080 is not easy. IME most people who exhibit driving  impairment and failure of sobriety tests are well above .080.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

Don't need blood.  For example, left of center results in crash, cops arrive,  pbt shows .025. Guilty neg driving 1st degree.
It may vary from state to state, but pbt is generally not admissible in Washington where you (and I) live.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 05:40:42 pm »
Well I was being very brief... my case reports are normally a little longer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »
In short, the point I'm trying to get across is that the idea that as long as you are under the per se limit you are good to go,,, wrong idea!  A driver who is under the legal limit can still be found guilty of an alcohol related driving crime.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2013, 02:15:29 am »
Post removed. Political. Guys, we already went over this once - Mod
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:08:09 am by majorvices »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2013, 06:46:32 am »
Post removed, political.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:07:33 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2013, 07:06:35 am »
Yep. That's enough.