Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Those little red cans of Oxygen  (Read 10703 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Those little red cans of Oxygen
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:13 am »
How long do you run it and at what setting?  I run mine so I can see it bubbling to the surface and usually only about 45 seconds to a minute ( a little bit more for big beers ).

The red canisters are also different sizes.  I'm still using my larger one ( probably have 8 beers on it ) and I have a skinnier one for backup.

I must have mine set to high, it creates quite a bubbling action.  I go for about the same amount of time.  Sounds like I should dial it back a bit.  Thanks dude.

You'll save a lot of money just getting a tank from a welding shop and using a flow meter. But if not, as I have said here many times, if you see large bubbles coming out you are wasting it. Should be just a trickle .

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: Those little red cans of Oxygen
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »

Or just stay away from oxygen all together.

By doing what?

I gave up on the PITA of oxygen and use a Mix Stir now.

Amanda, you get today's pragmatism award!  My experience is that a MixStir works as well as an O2 setup.

My limited experience tells me I'm doing fine with splashing and will forego the O2 for the sake of being lazy, cheap, and old fashioned

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »

By doing what?
Paul,
I use venturi tube and fill fermenter thru CIP ball. No problem fermenting 1072 beer.
That is the biggest beer I make.
I am on yeast 14 th generation and performance is still good.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 06:22:10 am »
I don't shake, I pour back and forth between buckets until the froth reaches the brim.

Am I mistaken if you froth it up during the aeration stage, those head forming proteins are no longer available when you carbonate and serve the beer?

I could swear I heard that somewhere.  Most likely on the internet, so it must be true  ;)

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:20 am »
I don't shake, I pour back and forth between buckets until the froth reaches the brim.

Am I mistaken if you froth it up during the aeration stage, those head forming proteins are no longer available when you carbonate and serve the beer?

I could swear I heard that somewhere.  Most likely on the internet, so it must be true  ;)

All I know is I spent alot of years rocking carboys to aerate until they frothed and my beers have excellent head retention.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:53 am »
Same here, pouring back and forth probably doesn't mess with head retention. I like aerating with pure O2 if only for convenience. I doubt it's really necessary for most of the beers I do, which are in the 1.050 to 1.065 range. I just need to figure out what to do with the red canisters. Seems so wasteful to just throw them away.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:54 am »
I use a canister and wand now, but on the times I run out of O2 and don't replace it for brew day, I aerate it 'til it froths.  Truthfully, don't notice a big difference at the end of the day.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:11 am »
I just need to figure out what to do with the red canisters. Seems so wasteful to just throw them away.

I toss them in with the recycling.  I'm not sure that's proper disposal, though.

As for head retention, there may be valid science there but I haven't had any issues and I shake my kegs to carbonate them.  I'll fill a one-liter PET bottle when I fill the kegs and I shake that thing like mad.  Throw it in the freezer and in 30 minutes I've got fresh beer with a big rocky head.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:31 am »

In theory, that's true.  In practice, I've never found it to be a problem. 

Might have read it here....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57:03 am »

By doing what?

Amanda, you get today's pragmatism award!  My experience is that a MixStir works as well as an O2 setup.

Hooray!  8) Do I get a sticker or something? But seriously, on a homebrew level I just don't see the point of pure O2.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 12:12:09 pm »
I just need to figure out what to do with the red canisters. Seems so wasteful to just throw them away.

I toss them in with the recycling.  I'm not sure that's proper disposal, though.

round here, I collect them and bring them to the transfer station where they collect batteries, motor oil, fluorescent bulbs, etc.   its only 2mi from my house and i wait until i have a box of stuff to take.  YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 05:58:58 am »

By doing what?

Hooray!  8) Do I get a sticker or something? But seriously, on a homebrew level I just don't see the point of pure O2.

I think a mix-stir is just fine for medium gravity ales.  I was always a fan of the old whisk until I started getting whisk-elbow....  :P

But I like using O2 for high gravity ales and lagers.  It was also a Christmas present so if it didn't come from Santa I would probably still be using the mix-stir.

I put my canisters in with the recyclables.  Asked and was told it was not a problem if empty.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:46 am »
For some small beers that I want more esters in, I just pump into the fermenter. Medium gravity, the mix stir, high gravity and lagers get the O2.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 10:59:48 am »

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »
For me, dropping in a stone attached to an O2 tank for a minute is way less effort than shaking, pouring back-and-forth, getting out the whisk or hooking up the drill with a whip on it.  The O2 tank is a convenience thing for me.