Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Those little red cans of Oxygen  (Read 10708 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Those little red cans of Oxygen
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:44 pm »
I seem to go through these things pretty quickly.  I get maybe 7-8 buckets oxygenated, and it's time to toss. 

What am I doing wrong? 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Those little red cans of Oxygen
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
How long do you run it and at what setting?  I run mine so I can see it bubbling to the surface and usually only about 45 seconds to a minute ( a little bit more for big beers ).

The red canisters are also different sizes.  I'm still using my larger one ( probably have 8 beers on it ) and I have a skinnier one for backup.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »
what darkside said. 

i find some just seem to last longer than others.  i've gotten 12 batches on some and only 6 on others.  as long as I'm close to 10 I don't get too perturbed.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
How long do you run it and at what setting?  I run mine so I can see it bubbling to the surface and usually only about 45 seconds to a minute ( a little bit more for big beers ).

The red canisters are also different sizes.  I'm still using my larger one ( probably have 8 beers on it ) and I have a skinnier one for backup.

I must have mine set to high, it creates quite a bubbling action.  I go for about the same amount of time.  Sounds like I should dial it back a bit.  Thanks dude.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:29:26 pm »

I must have mine set to high, it creates quite a bubbling action.  I go for about the same amount of time.  Sounds like I should dial it back a bit.  Thanks dude.

If you see a lot of bubbles on the surface, then you're wasting it.
I have a 5 pound welding bottle and I'll bet I've been using it for three years.  I had a 20 pounder, but I accidentally left the regulator turned on during the stone rinse/clean process and it emptied.  I was sad.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:32:47 pm »
I easily get 15 to 20 batches per bottle, but I use an in-line aerator setup and infuse the wort slowly.  I also make a 1.5 L starter for ales and 3 L starter for lagers, so my need for oxygenation may be slightly less urgent than those who underpitch.  I typically see activity within 4 hours.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:42:30 pm »
I easily get 15 to 20 batches per bottle, but I use an in-line aerator setup and infuse the wort slowly.  I also make a 1.5 L starter for ales and 3 L starter for lagers, so my need for oxygenation may be slightly less urgent than those who underpitch.  I typically see activity within 4 hours.

I'm pitching plenty of yeast, From what others are saying I just have it turned up WAY TOO HIGH..... 8)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »
Whatever bubbles up to the surface is essentially wasted.  Bubbles should barely disturb the surface.  I give most beers 2 minutes and get 15-20 beers (10gal) per bottle.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:19:57 pm »
Mic,

Can you just get oxygen in 5lb bottles?
Or just stay away from oxygen all together.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
I have read some dissolved oxygen info. Haven't bought into the idea for homebrew level yet. One side by side study I saw had three one gallon bottles of identical wort and yeast. One was not aerated at all, one was shook for two minutes, one was oxygenated for two minutes. All three made beer. The non aeration was slow and obviously under attenuated. The shook one started faster than the O2 one but the shook and O2 samples finished about the same.

I don't shake, I pour back and forth between buckets until the froth reaches the brim. Takes about three pours, less than a minute. There may be some science that proves O2 is better, but my low tech method works plenty good for me. Plus one less expense and piece of equipment to clean.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »
I have read some dissolved oxygen info. Haven't bought into the idea for homebrew level yet. One side by side study I saw had three one gallon bottles of identical wort and yeast. One was not aerated at all, one was shook for two minutes, one was oxygenated for two minutes. All three made beer. The non aeration was slow and obviously under attenuated. The shook one started faster than the O2 one but the shook and O2 samples finished about the same.

I don't shake, I pour back and forth between buckets until the froth reaches the brim. Takes about three pours, less than a minute. There may be some science that proves O2 is better, but my low tech method works plenty good for me. Plus one less expense and piece of equipment to clean.

Unfortunately, you are playing with fire.  Everyone of those pours is introducing more airborne microbes into your wort.  If you don't have a big enough yeast pitch, you will be severely infected.  As it is, you are probably slightly infecting your beer.  Oxygenation is more sterile and therefore safer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:15:08 pm »
Probably can't argue that. But so far it has been fine for me.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 06:51:00 am »

By doing what?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Re: Those little red cans of Oxygen
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:06 am »

By doing what?

I gave up on the PITA of oxygen and use a Mix Stir now.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Those little red cans of Oxygen
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 09:42:35 am »

By doing what?

I gave up on the PITA of oxygen and use a Mix Stir now.

Amanda, you get today's pragmatism award!  My experience is that a MixStir works as well as an O2 setup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell