Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to dipose of the red oxygen tanks?  (Read 17899 times)

boulderbrewer

How to dipose of the red oxygen tanks?
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »
I have about 8 oxygen tanks that I need to get rid of. How do you dipose of your tanks, I guess I need to be more responsible for my enviroment and go with the big green tank. What is the way you dipose of those little red buggers?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: How to dipose of the red oxygen tanks?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:49 pm »
Transfer station at the Waste Department accepts them, propane tanks, etc. for recycling.  YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
I guess I need to be more responsible for my enviroment and go with the big green tank.
Yeah, the other day I was walking in a hospital.
There was an elderly gentleman that was pushing green oxygen talk.
Guess what cross my mind?
"I could use it. I wonder if he would miss it"

Sorry carry on.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

brewboy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:32 pm »
Build a big fire and throw them in. It's great fun.   

Not really, propane tanks are better.   ;D

Seriously, it's good that you're thinking responsibly.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:49 am »
I have 2 empty ones that I haven't gotten rid of yet.  Not sure of the proper way either.

This may not be the greenest way but as far as safety is concerned... If they're empty can't you just toss 'em in the trash?

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:20 am »
I have 2 empty ones that I haven't gotten rid of yet.  Not sure of the proper way either.

This may not be the greenest way but as far as safety is concerned... If they're empty can't you just toss 'em in the trash?

Heathen!

That's what I do, ever since my wife took a couple to the recycling station. According to her, she was told "Those are oxygen tanks." Not, "We don't accept oxygen tanks," mind you. Apparently, they thought she was confused by the bright red and the word "Oxygen" printed on the bottle. I love New Jersey.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:26 am »
Like I said, call up your waste department - mine accepts them for recycling, but you have to bring them to a separate dropoff point - they will not take them in the blue bin.  Luckily for me, the dropoff here is 3mi away and on the way to my office.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:37 am »
as many have said here, local waste management may take them, many for a fee. its sad really, since that extra work just encourages people to throw them in the trash. oxygen tanks are not a fire hazard. oxygen is not flammable, it only helps flammable things burn hotter. [it supports combustion] the only worry you have is the pressure in the vessel. once you've relieved the pressure the canister is pretty much treated as scrap metal. many people weld them together to make cannons. so see if your local dump will take them as scrap metal before throwing them away.

for eco friendlyness, you can go to your local gas distributer [where many of us get our co2 and beer gas] and for a small fee, get a refillable o2 tank and regulator. the beauty here is that a. they hold way more. i think when i did the calculation i figured out that the very first time you replace a 20# o2 tank you've made your money back, though it can take years to get through it all. but the best part is that you can refill it rather than tossing it and replacing.

its also half of an oxy acetylene torch set up, so if you've got a need for one of those, you'll need all this stuff anyway.

Offline dirtyjerzey

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:15:45 am »
Throw them up on criagslist....some scrap collector or junkyard artist might take them (might even give you a couple $'s)

"Life's short and hard, like a body building elf..." - BHG

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »
In just bury them in the neighbor's yard at night ;D
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 04:57:10 pm »
yeah. thanks for that. when i bought my house i took no less than 20 truckloads of trash off the property to clean it up. it still isn't done yet.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »
Fill them with nitris oxide. Then throw them in a back pack.

This way you can walk around with a mask to take hits from. ....really takes the edge off of a stressful day.

Mommy...Mommy...MOMMY.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »
Gawsh
Wiktionary says it simply

to dispose (third-person singular simple present disposes, present participle disposing, simple past and past participle disposed)

(intransitive) To eliminate or to get rid of something.
I dispose of my trash in the garbage can.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Scott

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 11:26:53 am »
I'm in the Portland Oregon area and Far West Recycle said that if I empty them and drill a hole then they will take them.  That includes my green camping propane cylinders as well.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 05:03:01 am »
I'm in the Portland Oregon area and Far West Recycle said that if I empty them and drill a hole then they will take them.  That includes my green camping propane cylinders as well.

Wow, you gotta drill a hole in it too? That's a lot of work on the citizen just to try to be environmentally conscious.