Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What should I offer this guy?  (Read 7807 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
What should I offer this guy?
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:09 am »
I've come accross a guy who wants to sell me two, 42 gallon Blichmann fermenters.  Both have the leg extensions and casters.  Brand new from Northern Brewer they are about $1850 each.  They are quite used, so probably would need new seals, and clamp rings. 

I'm thinking $2,000 for the pair?

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
Re: What should I offer this guy?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:22 am »
Frank Linkh

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:20:30 am »

????  Really?  Why wouldn't I just buy new ones?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:54 am »

????  Really?  Why wouldn't I just buy new ones?

Either he means for the pair, or he's the one selling them to you  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:47 am »
If I read your basic implication correctly, I am with you in that I am always uncomfortable valuing someone else's stuff.  I always (try to) insist that the currrent owner start the negotiation by stating what he wants.  Probably doesn't help much, but that's what I think anyway.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:21 am »
If I read your basic implication correctly, I am with you in that I am always uncomfortable valuing someone else's stuff.  I always (try to) insist that the currrent owner start the negotiation by stating what he wants.  Probably doesn't help much, but that's what I think anyway.

You read that correctly.  I did try to insist.  He has asked me to "make him an offer."  I want the fermentors.  And stainless is good forever.  (basically)  Seals are $40, and clamp rings about $100.  Plus, I've seen them.  They are gonna take a lot of PBW......

As I've upgraded over the years, I've sold my old stuff at 50% of what I paid, if still in good working order. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:42:25 am »
If he says 'make an offer' I always like to start at 1 dollar and a six pack. you can go up from there.

Maybe add in naming rights; 'The Tom Dichnherrie Memorial Fermenter'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:45:35 am »
I think $2000 is a fair starting offer, especially if he isn't willing to put a number out. If he wants more, he can counter. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
If he says 'make an offer' I always like to start at 1 dollar and a six pack. you can go up from there.

Maybe add in naming rights; 'The Tom Dichnherrie Memorial Fermenter'

I would love to see you do that on the "Price is Right!"   "I would like to bid $1...and a six pack."

+1 to $2,000 being a fair offer.  I'd probably start right at or just under $1850 myself. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:36 am »
How much do you want them?  I would probably start at $1500.  I've gotten some great deals from people who are just looking to unload stuff quickly and easily.  The "you can probably get more, but this is what it's worth to me" line works pretty well.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:07:40 am »
I agree with Tom.  If he isn't willing to start the negotiations I'd toss a number our that would be a steal/deal for you without insulting the seller to the point they walk away.  He'll most likely counter.  Maybe you can work out a deal involving beer.  50% off growler fills or something.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:16 am »
I would start at $1000. You said they are well used and some people would not put much value on something in that shape. You can always go up from there. I usually figure used is never worth more than half of new. Unless it is JUST LIKE NEW. 

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
I wouldn't go lower than $1,000 starting offer, but that's just me.
Trey W.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 05:31:12 pm »
Why? The guy is saying make an offer.

Offer him $500 for the pair and then work up from there. I wouldn't pay 2K for the two. Used like new- maybe. But used-used is like a old car. They are never worth what the owner thinks.

Negotiate hard in this case because of the pair's condition.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:12 pm »
Can you find any other similar products that have recently sold on ebay or craigslist? That is probably your best evidence of the appropriate market price. However, you don't need to start there.

It's not fun to be the one throwing out the first offer but it's what I do with my job so I've learned to adapt. I would approach it as, "I don't really know what they are worth but I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the seals and clamp rings and that's $X plus it's going to take a lot of time cleaning just to figure out if there are any other problems. Maybe $1000 for the pair? Tell me your thoughts."

$2k is probably fair for the pair but you never know how badly he's trying to sell them or if he doesn't care how low he sells them as long as he sells them. I think any lower than $1k is going to come across unreasonably low. He's stupid for not cleaning them out. Clean products always sell better than dirty. That tells me he probably doesn't have a good valuation on the fermentors and probably just wants to get rid of them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing