Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: London Pride Clone Beer  (Read 16901 times)

Offline slaphappy44

• 1st Kit
London Pride Clone Beer
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »
Does anybody out there in forumland have a clone recipe for Fullers London Pride?  I love this beer very much, but can only drink it from time to time because of the price  :'(.  Any help would be much appreciated.
"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn."

C. S. Lewis

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
Re: London Pride Clone Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »
I brewed this a couple years ago and loved it.  If I made it again I'd switch to WLP002, but the S-04 tasted great at the time.  Come to think of it...I may make this again soon!

London Calling
1.043-1.011
30 ibus
5.5 gallon batch

7# British Pale (MO)
1# Simpson's British Crystal 75L
1/2# Demerara (or any light brown sugar)

1/2oz Target for 60 min
3/4oz Northdown for the last 10 minutes

S-04 dry yeast fermented in low sixties for 2 weeks

Fuller's has such a unique style of brewing that I think it's very hard to emulate their products truly, but maybe I just think that because the ESB always eludes me.  This LP is pretty close, tho.

Good Luck!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:42 pm »
I taste a touch of dark crystal in there as well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline toastedman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »
I brewed this a couple years ago and loved it.  If I made it again I'd switch to WLP002, but the S-04 tasted great at the time.  Come to think of it...I may make this again soon!

London Calling
1.043-1.011
30 ibus
5.5 gallon batch

7# British Pale (MO)

1/2oz Target for 60 min
3/4oz Northdown for the last 10 minutes

S-04 dry yeast fermented in low sixties for 2 weeks

Fuller's has such a unique style of brewing that I think it's very hard to emulate their products truly, but maybe I just think that because the ESB always eludes me.  This LP is pretty close, tho.

Good Luck!

Looks tasty to me, gonna try this on saturday, as i have everything on hand. When does the sugar go in? 5-10 min sound ok.

TIA   jerry

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:40 am »
I think you can add the sugar whenever you like on this one.  I think I dissolved it in a little pot and then added it to the kettle in liquid form with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Have fun!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:07 am »
I've got an extract one here, and can look up an all-grain version when I get back to the book (CAMRA's Brew Your Own British Real Ale, which has plenty more besides)

http://hopville.com/recipe/94981/home-brew/fullers-london-pride-clone

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:54 am »
I remember that Challenger is in Pride.  Pride is not dry hopped.

The Chiswick and ESB are dry hopped.   Pride shows off the malts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline JoaoSilveira

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 10:45:55 am »

7# British Pale (MO)

Monk, what do you mean with #? Which measure unit is that?

Thanks,

Joao

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 10:51:43 am »

7# British Pale (MO)

Monk, what do you mean with #? Which measure unit is that?

Thanks,

Joao

# is shorthand for "lb." which is shorthand for "pound".

1 pound = .45 kg
1 kg = 2.2 pound

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
London Pride Clone Beer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 10:54:21 am »
Monk hasn’t been around for about 10 yrs. The # sign means pounds.

Edit: as I was typing Megary hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 11:09:38 am »

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:52 am »
If you Google it you will get quite a few hits. It all comes down to which recipe you trust. Lots of different suggestions for which Crystal malt and how muich of it to use.... Here is another one....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/592276/fuller-s-esb-clone

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 04:29:20 am »
There's no need to speculate, there's no dark crystal or sugar in the current Fuller's partigyle, they've tweeted a photo of their actual brewbook :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fullers-recipes-for-esb-pride-chiswick-imperials-neipa-from-the-horses-mouth.642756/

Burtonise, 7.2% light crystal, splash of chocolate malt and you're good to go. Later in that thread someone has worked out a detailed recipe for ESB, which he claims is close.

As always with British recipes yeast is crucial. WLP002 and 1968 don't have the typical marmalade character of the real Fuller's yeast, apparently Imperial Pub does - or harvest it from bottles of 1845 or IPA/Lancer.

It's not often that you get to compare the actual recipe with other sources that attempt to clone the beer - it's a good test to compare how close your favourite source of clone recipes is.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 09:24:30 am »
There's no need to speculate, there's no dark crystal or sugar in the current Fuller's partigyle, they've tweeted a photo of their actual brewbook :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fullers-recipes-for-esb-pride-chiswick-imperials-neipa-from-the-horses-mouth.642756/

Burtonise, 7.2% light crystal, splash of chocolate malt and you're good to go. Later in that thread someone has worked out a detailed recipe for ESB, which he claims is close.

As always with British recipes yeast is crucial. WLP002 and 1968 don't have the typical marmalade character of the real Fuller's yeast, apparently Imperial Pub does - or harvest it from bottles of 1845 or IPA/Lancer.

It's not often that you get to compare the actual recipe with other sources that attempt to clone the beer - it's a good test to compare how close your favourite source of clone recipes is.

I've been making ESB and London Pride for a couple of years now. The recipe I used comes from an interview I heard with John Keeling who at the time was the head brewer at Fullers. It differs slightly from the brew log sheet posted in the Twitter posts shared on Homebrewtalk.com but the recipe has evolved and changed over time. Either that or John wasn't telling the interviewer the full truth.  ;)

Mr. Keeling stated: 95% pale ale malt and 5% crystal 150. Without re-reading the HBT thread again I believe the hops were the same... Target for bittering, and late additions of Northdown, Challenger (and Golding for dry hopping in ESB). He said 80% of the bitterness comes from the Target and the remaining 20% from the late additions. According to the interview ESB was around 43 IBU and LP 31 IBU.

I've been brewing it this way ever since I heard that interview several years ago but my most recent version, in the fermenter right now, uses the grist from the HBT forum which adds just a bit of chocolate malt. Can't wait to see how it differs.

I'm scouring the notes I made during the interview trying to find out what yeast he said but either he didn't or I didn't write it down. Like Northern_Brewer said I've been using Imperial Pub A09 with good results.

“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato