Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast for a Belgian Dubbel  (Read 14433 times)

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Dry Yeast for a Belgian Dubbel
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »
My son loves Belgian Dubbels :o (They're not my thing but I try to be an indulgent dad) and I love using dry yeast. Dry yeast is incredibly simple. I went through some of the previous posts and it looks like T-58 might be better than S-33 for fermenting a Belgian. I'm figuring with the hot weather, it's a good time for brewing this type of beer.

T-58 or S-33? Or am I out of luck for a dry yeast?
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
Re: Dry Yeast for a Belgian Dubbel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »
You can try the Belle Saison yeast. If you go back in this category you can read about it.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
Thanks  :D
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
T-58 would definitely be better than S-33.  IMO, there's nothing vaguely Belgian about the flavor profile of S-33.  Yeah, you;re right, dry yeast is easy, but in this case there isn't a dry yeast I know of that will make a really great dubbel.  IMO, this is a case where you really need a liquid yeast, unless ease of use trumps flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »
T-58 would definitely be better than S-33.  IMO, there's nothing vaguely Belgian about the flavor profile of S-33.  Yeah, you;re right, dry yeast is easy, but in this case there isn't a dry yeast I know of that will make a really great dubbel.  IMO, this is a case where you really need a liquid yeast, unless ease of use trumps flavor.

Are you going to hit 10,000 today???
Trey W.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »

Geez, hadn't noticed that.  Maybe so if I keep posting worthless tripe like this!

Is there a prize?  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:50:08 pm »
Thanks  :D
You can use the dry Saison, but IMO you won't have a Dubbel, more a dark saison.  Belle Dry Saison is known to ferment down often from 1.006 - near 1.000 FG.  Not to mention a different flavor profile.  A Dubbel often finishes more like 1.016 - 1.008 FG, leaving a little more malt richness intact.  Personally, I would use WY3787, 1214 or similar, and you'll have a more accurate end result.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:33 pm »
Personally, I would use WY3787, 1214 or similar, and you'll have a more accurate end result.

Agreed.  I prefer 3787 for dubbel and tripel.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:49:25 pm »
Personally, I would use WY3787, 1214 or similar, and you'll have a more accurate end result.

I like 1214 for a dubbel.  Not sure I've ever done 3787 in a dubbel, but it does make a nice tripel.

To be honest, I've not used a Belgian yeast that I have disliked.  Some I like more than others, but none I do not like.

Mangrove Jack makes a dry Belgian, but it sounds more like a saison yeast from the description.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 03:09:23 pm »

Is there a prize?  ;)

You get 10,000 bonus posts for no additional charge!  8)
Trey W.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »

I like 1214 for a dubbel.  Not sure I've ever done 3787 in a dubbel, but it does make a nice tripel.

To be honest, I've not used a Belgian yeast that I have disliked.  Some I like more than others, but none I do not like.

Mangrove Jack makes a dry Belgian, but it sounds more like a saison yeast from the description.
I agree, love the Belgian strains. There's so many strain/temp combinations that I really enjoy brewing them. They tend to blend together really well too.
Jon H.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:48:55 pm »
Thanks all. This helps me. And, Denny, congratulations on 10,000 posts.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »

Geez, hadn't noticed that.  Maybe so if I keep posting worthless tripe like this!

Is there a prize?  ;)
I think your forum title should change to "Founding Member of the AHA Forum Support Group".
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 08:33:39 pm »
Have to thrown hat in the ring: you can't really make a dubbel with a saison strain and expect it to taste like a dubbel. I'm sure it will taste great, but saison strains are way more spicy than regular Trappist style Belgian strains and the flavor just won't be the same.

Have to agree with Denny, too, if you really want to make a great dubble, stick with liquid yeast. If ease of use trumps great flavor, go with the dry Belgian strains. But your gonna be a little disappointed.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:45:13 pm »
Just to add, the dry Belgian yeasts always taste so phenolic. All band aid no fruit not awful, but not great. that's my experience anyway.