Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thermometer gun  (Read 3289 times)

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
thermometer gun
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
I am in the market for a new thermometer for brewing and I have been looking at infrared thermometer guns. Does anyone have any suggestion for accurate quick temperature readings? Anyone use or have used a thermometer gun? Suggestions for purchase?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: thermometer gun
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »
I highly suggest a Thermapen.  Looks like they still have their open box sale:  http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2013.html
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »
I highly suggest a Thermapen.  Looks like they still have their open box sale:  http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2013.html
+1.  They're awesome.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
The problem with the infrared thermometers is that you only get the surface temp.  That's fine for some things, but not for taking a mash temp, for example.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:33:18 pm »
infrared thermometers aren't reliable on shiny or reflective surfaces like wort

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
The problem with the infrared thermometers is that you only get the surface temp.  That's fine for some things, but not for taking a mash temp, for example.

+273
Trey W.

Offline jbthomas69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:04 pm »
IR thermometers give different teadings depending on the surface. There are corrections but get a Thermopen.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
I have a Taylor thermometer that is almost as fast add a thermapen, water resistant, and less $$. It also has an infrared reader which is nice for reading carboy temps through the glass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »
I have this one. I use it for checking my temp when chilling my wort or starter, sometimes for checking the temp of a fermenting carboy. It is fairly accurate within a couple degrees. But as Denny point out pretty much useless for mash etc.  For under $20 it has come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Non-Contact-Infared-Temperature-Range/dp/B009RUPQGW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1374813058&sr=8-6&keywords=infrared+thermometer

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »

+273

Absolutely! 

Actually IR thermometers see the color of the infrared "light" being emitted by the object that they are pointed at.  The light is being emitted from the surface of the target. In the case of shiny objects the IR thermometer may see reflected light more clearly than emitted. In situations where there is a swirling target (looking through a cloud of steam) IR thermometers are inaccurate to the point of being irrelevant.

They are very accurate, and helpful, when working around newly emplaced lava.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:59:40 am »
People sure talk a lot about the thermopen...i just dont know if I can stand to pay 90 + for a thermometer. I mean its a thermometer...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 05:49:02 am »
People sure talk a lot about the thermopen...i just dont know if I can stand to pay 90 + for a thermometer. I mean its a thermometer...

Exactly. That's why I bought the "6-second read time" version from Thermoworks: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html 

$19.00 and it actually reads in 3-4 seconds. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't own this model. I've had it for over a year and love it.

This thing is dishwasher safe, the more expensive Thermapen is only "splash proof". I've dropped mine in the mash, grabbed it out after putting on the Blichmann gloves, rinsed it off and it was working the entire time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:51:02 am by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:30:10 am »
I have this one:

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Mainstays-Digital-Meat-Thermometer-00641W/14913168?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb:undefined

Only $10 and it reads within about 6-8 seconds. Only place I use it is mash and SG samples. So I can't justify spending much more. Especially since I have thermometers on my HLT, BK, and O2 injection after chiller.
Trey W.